Getrag 260 Rebuild kit??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getrag 260 Rebuild kit??

Hey guys, so i have a 260 that needs rebuilding.... and i kinda wanna do it. Its just sitting there, and i think it would be good to learn?

Do you know anywhere i can buy a synchro and bearing kit? I looked around cant really find anything.
    sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
    1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
    1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
    1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
    (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
    1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
    2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
    2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

maybe this is a good place to start. at least you can get the part numbers.

i would call around to local transmission shops in your area and see if they can price a kit for you. will be a lot cheaper than the individual parts from oem.

maybe this will help too.

Last edited by flyboyx; 05-05-2013, 07:18 AM.
    sigpic
    Gigitty Gigitty!!!!

88 cabrio becoming alpina b6 3.5s transplanted s62
    92 Mtech 2 cabrio alpinweiss 770 code
    88 325ix coupe manual lachsilber/cardinal
    88 325ix coupe manual diamondschwartz/natur
    87 e30 m3 for parts lachsilber/cardinal(serial number 7)
    12 135i M sport cabrio grey/black

Comment

I had to stop by this place to pick up parts for my work, i asked if they sell rebuild kits for 5speed transmissions, and they do. I am not sure if they have stuff for a getreg 260 though. Give them a call.

Transtar1.com
      :borg:

Comment

This is not an easy job- getting the front case off's a bear, for starters...

That said, if you can fabricate tools, it's not impossible, and G260's are starting
        to become unobtanium up here- the race cars are eating 'em up.

t
        now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

I do not believe your going to find a 'kit' on the market such as you would for say a T5 transmission.

Parts are very expensive. Synchros are roughly $100 each, bearings are roughly the same.

The entire transmission and gear clusters are press fit. You need to heat the casing and use massive pullers to take anything apart.

I have 5 cores here at the shop and almost all of them have lost 3rd gear. I pulled 1 apart and got it back together and actually put it in a car and have not heard any complaints about it.

I was going to start rebuilding them but the labor to pull one apart and rebuild it properly is about 6 hours minimum, then you have input and output bearings, and 1 or more synchros. Too much money and time to invest.

If you really want to pull it apart for fun, you will want a Bentley manual which describes in detail how to take apart, measure, and reassemble the transmission. You will need the largest pullers you can get from Harbor Freight, they will need to be modified to work. You will also need a heat gun and a large standing press.

I just recently purchased a rebuilt transmission from Drive Gear in Chicago. $1,100 shipped. New bearings and replacement of any worn out synchros.

I then sold them all my remaining cores as I don't have time to get into the transmission rebuilding business.

Metric Mechanic also sells rebuilt transmissions. They replace all the bearings, modify the case and upgrade the layshaft bearings and they replace ALL the synchros. They charge roughly $2,900!

Drive-Gear Transmissions http://www.drive-gear.com/?page_id=35
          Metric Mechanic http://www.metricmechanic.com/produc...transmissions/
          www.facebook.com/E30motorwerks

Comment

Wow, thanks for the info guys! I havent gotten a hold of a shop to piece together a "kit" for me. But i will do so once i have the extra $$$

This is more of a fun project whether it will take a month or 3 days, dont really matter to me. Just wanna try something new.
            I do have a bentley manual already, and there are a few threads of people that have dne this that i will look into as time comes near.

How big of a press do you think im gunna need(RobertC) since i dont have one yet and plan on buying a press anyways?!
            Thanks!
            sigpic

1989 BMW 325is (SOLD)
            1990 BMW 325i Brilliantrot (SOLD)
            1992 BMW 325IC (SOLD)
            1991 BMW 318IS (STOLEN!)

2017 BMW M2 (WEEKEND WARRIOR)
            (GRIGIO TELESTO RESPRAY, FULL BOLT ONS, TUNE-HPFP AND TURBO UPGRADE COMING AFTER WARRANTY IS DONE)
            1989 BMW 325IC (PROJECT(
            2002 FORD ESCAPE (DAILY)
            2001 BMW 330CI (FOR SALE SOON)

"R3v, being a bunch of cheap bastards that would try to negotiate a discount on a free engine,"

Comment

Bringing this back from the dead. Does anyone remember where Drive-Gear Transmissions was located? I wanted to find out if the old shop is operating under a new name?

Thanks much!

Comment

Originally posted by profile36 View Post
                Bringing this back from the dead. Does anyone remember where Drive-Gear Transmissions was located? I wanted to find out if the old shop is operating under a new name?

Thanks much!
                Retired. In fact, haven't even seen them posting on social in the last couple years. Last I spoke with them the parts were getting difficult to obtain.
                john@m20guru.com
                Links:
                Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Plus, there was a run of defective parts
                  from whomever BMW was buying them from-
                  new synchros that physically broke quickly.
                  Left a bad taste, and a big financial dent...

t
                  now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                    Plus, there was a run of defective parts
                    from whomever BMW was buying them from-
                    new synchros that physically broke quickly.
                    Left a bad taste, and a big financial dent...

t
                    I have been patiently waiting for someone to do a run of synchros that aren’t $200ea. Now that the transmissions are being used by a wider crowd (see: k series), I’ve been hoping they would get the some aftermarket support.

I wonder how many broken g260s are in every spec guys garage, let alone shops, etc
                    1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
                    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

I have been patiently waiting for someone to do a run of synchros that aren’t $200ea. Now that the transmissions are being used by a wider crowd (see: k series), I’ve been hoping they would get the some aftermarket support.

I wonder how many broken g260s are in every spec guys garage, let alone shops, etc
                      Most of the broken ones I know, all ran dry on fluid. We discovered in the racing, the g260 spits out fluid then vent under hard braking. We went through 4 of them in the endurance car, figured we would just buying one every year or so. Think it was Jim Levie that mentioned it to me about the vent, put a hose on it up to the engine bay, we went 5 seasons with the same box after that. Said he read on a forum where a fellow put a hand drill on the input shaft and started tipping it back and forth. Once it got far enough forward, the fluid started to roll out. We always wondered why we pressure washed the car after every race, wasn't dripping, but was always just barely wet underneath with fluid.
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

My 3rd gear synchro is out now as well. And it seems to be just getting harder and harder to find shops that will do the rebuild. Has there been any luck of people finding shops to rebuild? This is for my convertible and I don't plan on racing so the metric mechanic route might not be worth it for me. So far all the transmissions I find for sale online have no known history to replace mine.

Comment

Working...
                        X