Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the Getrag 260 5 speed the same got the 325e and 325i?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Getrag 260 5 speed the same got the 325e and 325i?

Hey, i was wondering if a Getrag 260 5 speed was the same a cross the bored for the e30s. I am looking to do a manual swap and want to make sure the bell housing would fit right up from a 325e to 325i. i would think they are the same transmission.

Same transmission. Just be weary that some of the earliest eta getrags came with only the sheet metal shifter mounts, the later style with the aluminum carrier is preferred.
    john@m20guru.com
    Links:
    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Also isn't the 325e bellhousing deeper to account for the dual mass flywheel? When I swapped engines from 325e to 325i and to a singlemass flywheel while retaining my 325e trans, I needed the longer throw out bearing from a euro 323 car.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
        Also isn't the 325e bellhousing deeper to account for the dual mass flywheel? When I swapped engines from 325e to 325i and to a singlemass flywheel while retaining my 325e trans, I needed the longer throw out bearing from a euro 323 car.

I've done that swap about 5 or 6 times, never had to use any other TOB than what came in the 325i kit.

However, I have had issues when mixing and matching clutch kits. There are two thickness discs and 2 or 3 different shim spring configurations that if you mix up, the pedal will be low engagement. Some people like to use the HD Sach's PP which needs to have the matching disc. The HD plate has more springs putting the friction disc closer to the flywheel, so if you use the thicker clutch disc, you will have problems.

Just last Sept we had a clutch fail at the 14hr of Sebring. Well, the driver managed to toast a second clutch and we were out of spares. We went to all the e30 racers and managed to get a couple clutch discs, and noticed the difference in thicknesses, we slapped the thicker disc in thinking it had "more meat left". The clutch was disengaging directly off the floor. Once we got it back to the shop after the race, we started comparing all the pressure plates and discs, and it became obvious why. The disc was thicker than the kits we have been using, it was so obvious at the point. For craps and giggles, I ordered a couple clutch kits from a few different mfgr's, and again, it was clear. Some discs were 9mm thick, some 7mm, and the thickness of the outer springs on the pressure plate corresponded to how thick the discs were.

As long as you use a full clutch kit that was purchased all together as a kit, you should not have any issues.
        john@m20guru.com
        Links:

Comment

Hmmm, that explains a few things, John-
          for example, the Ireland puck disc is 7mm, which
          doesn't work with the standard Sachs PP.

I too thought the eta bell was deeper-
          but I wasn't going to measure it until
          I had to use an eta trans...

Different pressure plates (228-215-240, etc) DO
          have different height diaphragm fingers when installed...
          ...I've gotten in trouble with mixing things with trans/
          flywheel swaps...

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Back to the OP, I installed a trans out of an e in to my cabrio. We used a stock i Sachs clutch kit w an RHD lightweight flywheel and it works fine. We also cut the wires off the e reference sensors and left them in the bell housing as plugs.
            Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
            Alice the Time Capsule
            http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
            87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Cool thanks for all the help!

Comment

Good information. I guess I might not have needed to get the extra tob when I did this. Glad it still worked out.

Instagram: Reichart12

Comment

Originally posted by jeffnhiscars View Post
                  Back to the OP, I installed a trans out of an e in to my cabrio. We used a stock i Sachs clutch kit w an RHD lightweight flywheel and it works fine. We also cut the wires off the e reference sensors and left them in the bell housing as plugs.

They are just empty on the stock trans when they have the holes (mid face lift years).

Originally posted by Reichart12 View Post
                  Good information. I guess I might not have needed to get the extra tob when I did this. Glad it still worked out.

Tomato, tomato. It works either way.
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:

Comment

Working...
                  X