Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
    hey smartass, he told you it has a Cummins
    Yea, that just proves you can't think and read at the same time.

Did it occur to you that there might be different cummins engines, as there're different BMW engines .. ?
    - E34 M5 (x 2) -
    - E30 V8 Cabrio "Kylpyamme" -
    - Alpina D10 Touring #33/94 -

+
    - E46 318i Touring -
    - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

fair point... he is probably refering to the 6bt that came in Dodge trucks for the last 30 years
      1989 cirrisblau-metallic 325i

Comment

Originally posted by e30s52 View Post
        Its fine. Yeah last year I wieghed it and it was 50/50 or 51/49 with half a tank of gas. I was very surprised when I looked at the monitor. With my m20 it was 57/43 but that had a/c and some other stuff.
        Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
        Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
        One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
          Stripped rear end dude as in no plastic crap under the car, no rear seats or wireing, and spare tire with all accessorys gone.

Front of the car was m20, a/c, p/s. I was surprised at it too but they might be alittle off like maybe 2-3%

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Originally posted by weaksauce View Post
            i think the comment about the cummins motor did it for me. everything after that made me think your an idiot.
            I have a cummins in my daily driven truck and get 23-24 mpg average with it.
            my wifes 4.4 X5 gets 17mpg average.
            now mr smarty pants, tell me how the BMW V-8 is a better more efficiant motor than the cummins?
            the truck is heavier, bigger displacement and has more power on less fuel.
            go ahead. tell me.
            Oh well, are you seriously comparing diesel and gasoline engines? Sorry but you need to take your head out of your ass and face the facts.

Here's a comparison i made of the engines. Please read it couple of times before posting..

(Both cars are yearmodel 2009, datas taken from manufacturers' websites);

Diesels:
            -BMW X5 35dA, 3 litres, 286hp / 580Nm, consumption (combined) 8,3 l/100km (28mpg)
            -Dodge ram 2500 with Cummins B6.7, 6,7 litres, 350hp / 880Nm, consumption (combined) 22mpg = 10,7 l/100km

BMW makes 95,3 hp / litre whereas dodge makes 52,2 hp / litre. Brake specific fuel consumption is 0,049 g / kWh for BMW and 0,06 g / kWh for Dodge, which is over 20% bigger than in BMW.

Gasoline:
            -BMW X5 4.8iS, 4,8 litres, 355hp, combined consumption 12,1 l/100km (19,4mpg)
            -Dodge ram with 5.7 hemi, 5,7 litres, 383hp, combined consumption 17,5mpg = 13,4 l/100km

BMW makes 74hp / l, dodge 67,2hp/l. BSFC for BMW is 0,051 whereas it's 0,06 for hemi engine (17,6% bigger).

Originally posted by SpecM View Post
            fair point... he is probably refering to the 6bt that came in Dodge trucks for the last 30 years
            Last edited by Jonsku; 11-25-2009, 01:46 AM.
            - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
            - E46 318i Touring -
            - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Originally posted by Jonsku View Post
              Anyway, to the point which is, that best way to get power from E30 is to swap BMW 6-cyl engine (which all are quite same after all) and turbocharge it if it's not producing enough power as it is.

Superchargers and yankee-V8's are best left to shops' shelves.
              Remove head from anus, then post.
              Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

This thread is full of fail.

What ever happened to a thread being informative? If we would have asked to argue about which car company makes a more efficient car the this thread would right on point. The point of this thread is to post info about V8 swaps and that alone.

If you guys are going to keep bitching and complaining about things like this then you should post this crap in Off Topic forum.

/thread

Taylor
                Need a performance chip for you BMW? Shoot me a PM and I'll get you taken care of!!
                Taylor- Follow me on Instagram @e30_fiend

Comment

Yea well, i've been studying machine engineering / combustion engines in M. Sc. program for five years now so i might have bit "out of normal world" - view on these things.. Plus i'm huge BMW fan..
                  Well, then I'm glad to hear you fall mostly under the former category.

Be that as it may, I still don't think specific hp has a place in picking a swap, and neither does comparing BSFC curves (hey everyone check it out, my car makes less power, but uses less gas per hp!) and other general elitist waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswafflesry.

Honestly, there's a time and place to get into the volumetric and adiabatic (hey username!) efficiency of an engine versus another, but the general point you're not getting is, and let me restate it, only mech-e's and entitled pricks care about such things in context of a thread about power vs. weight gain on a swap, and neither are correct in doing so.

Whether or not the BMW straight-6's have more specific hp output, the LS1 still has more ACTUAL output, with comparable weight and a layout better suited for center-oriented weight distribution anyways. It also can be FI'd if needed, as you seem to forget when talking about turbo applications of the BMW engines.

Basically, the only two reasons I can see you going this route are:

A: Not getting the overall picture
                  B: Getting the overall picture but trying to find bullshit reasons (although pretty sounding) to support your rampant favoritism.

All this coming from someone who's also a MechE/EE, with 2 years in the automotive engineering field, and becoming vastly tired of an N/A engine that flows 305cfm near redline, 120hp/L, and has a volumetric efficiency rivaling some early FI engines. All those impressive numbers with a pitiful 240 crank hp and 150 ft*lbs, that gets absolutely shit upon by my buddy's pushrod, leaf-springed C5 Corvette.

Comment

This thread need to be locked so this ends.
                    84 318I Delphin RIP
                    87 325IS delphin 24v Sold
                    89 325 Alpineweiss

Comment

I don't know about that, it's still informative to a degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Adiabatic View Post
                        Well, then I'm glad to hear you fall mostly under the former category.

Be that as it may, I still don't think specific hp has a place in picking a swap, and neither does comparing BSFC curves (hey everyone check it out, my car makes less power, but uses less gas per hp!) and other general elitist waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswafflesry.

Honestly, there's a time and place to get into the volumetric and adiabatic (hey username!) efficiency of an engine versus another, but the general point you're not getting is, and let me restate it, only mech-e's and entitled pricks care about such things in context of a thread about power vs. weight gain on a swap, and neither are correct in doing so.

Whether or not the BMW straight-6's have more specific hp output, the LS1 still has more ACTUAL output, with comparable weight and a layout better suited for center-oriented weight distribution anyways. It also can be FI'd if needed, as you seem to forget when talking about turbo applications of the BMW engines.

Basically, the only two reasons I can see you going this route are:

A: Not getting the overall picture
                        B: Getting the overall picture but trying to find bullshit reasons (although pretty sounding) to support your rampant favoritism.

All this coming from someone who's also a MechE/EE, with 2 years in the automotive engineering field, and becoming vastly tired of an N/A engine that flows 305cfm near redline, 120hp/L, and has a volumetric efficiency rivaling some early FI engines. All those impressive numbers with a pitiful 240 crank hp and 150 ft*lbs, that gets absolutely shit upon by my buddy's pushrod, leaf-springed C5 Corvette.
                        That's a good post, and lots of good pointers in it.

One of the main reasons i answer to these threads is that i just don't understand why people say those american V8's are "best engines ever made". But let's end the discussion about that here, because this topic would go to endless bullshit (if it hasn't gone already)..

Anyways, you pointed out that "Whether or not the BMW straight-6's have more specific hp output, the LS1 still has more ACTUAL output, with comparable weight and a layout better suited for center-oriented weight distribution anyways. It also can be FI'd if needed, as you seem to forget when talking about turbo applications of the BMW engines."

I'd like to point out here that turboing or supercharging straight 6 engine is much more easier than with those V-engines, 1000hp can be quite easily gained which should be more than enough to all other than drag-racing cars..

All in all, the debate which engine is better than another is endless. Virtually every car-engine ever made can be swapped also to E30 chassis, after all it's only question of time and money.
                        - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                        - E46 318i Touring -
                        - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

I'd like to point out here that turboing or supercharging straight 6 engine is much more easier than with those V-engines, 1000hp can be quite easily gained which should be more than enough to all other than drag-racing cars..
                          You can't be serious.

At what height did you mother drop you on your head when you were a baby?
                          Pork Hunt Motorsport

eBay is like the summit racing catalog for today's special Olympics crowd

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                            You can't be serious.

This is inappropriate.
                            ///Monstrosity. (OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO)

Aside from showing yourself to be offensive, lacking experience and ignorant in the ways of business, you're also illiterate and imprudent. Beyond that, your sense of liability is severely impaired.

Comment

I'd do a nice 400hp bolt on ls1 and still get 20mpg
                              Then run a 300 shot of nitrous for those quick 220mph freeway
                              getaway runs.

:)

Comment

Originally posted by Iain View Post
                                You can't be serious.

Well well, even though you can't even type sarcastically without being a complete idiot, i just want to point out that there're plenty of turboed S38, S50, M50 and even M20 engines producing power in the 1000hp range. Just put "1000hp turbo BMW" in youtube, or make a quick search in PPF.

970hp M5
                                1129hp S50
                                Project thread of the 1091hp M20
                                M50 turbo touring / 1000hp
                                ~750 Whp M30 with only 1,6bar boost (going to be 2,5-3bar)

And the list just goes on and on... just for an example an M50 turbo with normal pump gas and ~700hp (no e85 yet, which is available in sweden / norway everywhere).
                                - E34 M5 (x 2) -

+
                                - E46 318i Touring -
                                - Toyota Hiace 4wd -

Comment

Working...
                                X