From Boost to Reliable. M62b44 Swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned nice work on the pan !
    Care to share:D how you welded it mig/tig? machine settings & materials amps ? alu alloy 6013 ?
    I've cleaned re cleaned stainless brush etc both mig/tig are showing lots of porosity and contamination from base metal I seem to be missing the right combo TIA
    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

If you were to make a kit for the pan cut out, I'd be all the way down for that!

@mattdk318i
      Originally posted by ebelements
      Also, for those who don't know, negative camber is the greatest thing since sliced bread(panera). Even tire wear is for city busses and the elderly.

Comment

It was welded with a SquareWave Lincoln 175. Set at 120 with variable pedal. I use 100% argon with 2% thoriated Tungsten(100% tungsten works too). Rounded end of tungsten with copper. MIG aluminum is not a acceptable process for this job. Its more for boats and pontoons. Ive got a Spoolmate with aluminum but TIG wins on most of my projects.

Sticks, I can offer just the pieces you see in the first few pics, or a welded up one you see im comparing to the piece i cut out.
        sigpic

Comment

Thanks JGood, Your thread is a great inspiration to this project. Awesome job on that car dude.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mattdk318i View Post
            It was welded with a SquareWave Lincoln 175. Set at 120 with variable pedal. I use 100% argon with 2% thoriated Tungsten(100% tungsten works too). Rounded end of tungsten with copper. MIG aluminum is not a acceptable process for this job. Its more for boats and pontoons. Ive got a Spoolmate with aluminum but TIG wins on most of my projects.

Sticks, I can offer just the pieces you see in the first few pics, or a welded up one you see im comparing to the piece i cut out.
            Thanks !! now I can go melt some more metal :)
            My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

That pan modification is so much better than the current motor mount setup people have been using for M60 swaps.

I wished this would work with the S62 but the active sump setup will not allow it.

Comment

I agree robert, however. For a guy that doesnt have the abilities in their shop, it makes sense to space the subframe. Im aiming to change that. I will be making motor mounts next. As well as all of the other needed m60/62 swap goodies. Including the option to mail me their pan. Just gotta get everything finished,organized, priced and posted up in a thread.
                sigpic

Comment

Is the intent with this pan mod to "align the driveline"?

Comment

That and the problem with lowering your subframe. Which lowers the ball joints on the control arm. You can imagine that the steering geometry will change significantly. Some will argue, sure. But the whole idea of it doesnt sit well with me.

The whole rule of "different strokes for different folks" Ill never condemn what they are doing to THEIR vehicles
                    sigpic

Comment

I was really wondering if you'd actually MEASURED the before and after driveline alignment.

It's become "community knowledge" that it ought to be done, but I've NEVER seen measurements verifying that it is in-fact misaligned and by how much.

Comment

When the front of the engine sits up 3 inches higher than the rear. I assure you the alignment is off. I will dig up the before pictures. The after pictures are nice and flat.
                        sigpic

Comment

The M20 is visibly angled...
                          The tape measure tells the story, but no one ever measures where the front end of the M20 crank is before they pull the old engine out...

I'm going to assume your exaggerating, as dropping the mounts 3/4" won't move the pulleys 3"...

Comment

I agree robert, however. For a guy that doesnt have the abilities in their shop, it makes sense to space the subframe. Im aiming to change that. I will be making motor mounts next. As well as all of the other needed m60/62 swap goodies. Including the option to mail me their pan. Just gotta get everything finished,organized, priced and posted up in a thread.
                            We may need to send you Steve Reed's oil pan.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
                              The M20 is visibly angled...
                              The tape measure tells the story, but no one ever measures where the front end of the M20 crank is before they pull the old engine out...

I'm going to assume your exaggerating, as dropping the mounts 3/4" won't move the pulleys 3"...
                              Ill get you some measurements. The m20 is not that angled. Period. Have you completed or started a V8 swap?

Im trying to figure out why you are questioning this mod. This lowers the motor without changing steering geometry. Without adding a spacer between the car and subframe. The guibo is visibly torqued at a angle before lowering the front of the engine.
                              Last edited by mattdk318i; 08-27-2014, 07:28 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Ill get you some measurements. The m20 is not that angled. Period. Have you completed or started a V8 swap?
                                Thanks.

Im trying to figure out why you are questioning this mod.
                                Because NO ONE knows the numbers. "The difference between science and screwing around is writing things down"

The guibo is visibly torqued at a angle before lowering the front of the engine.
                                You're the first person I've ever known say that.

Yes, this discussion HAS come up before, and there are people who accumulate miles with stock pans without spacers and don't tear guibos up as could be expected.

Comment

Working...
                                X