No announcement yet.

From Boost to Reliable. M62b44 Swap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome job on the engine mounts. I like how you eliminated the need for the oil line plate by incorporating your own into your mount.

That plasma table has to be a sweet tool to have, I'm stuck drawing them in CAD, tracing them, and then doing the plasma by hand.

Comment

Thanks man, Actually sold my e30 for the money to build the table. It was hard to let her go. Still dont have a e30...
      sigpic

Comment

Yeah, that's a seriously nice tool.

Comment

Haha, I felt like I was looking through my own build thread for the brake setup, except it got done in 1/10th the time, with 1/10th the aggravation, and looks better. I seriously envy your tools and fab skills. Nice work.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Progress

I was able to shoot down to columbia last weekend to help Matt knock out some of the work. The plan was for him to finish the chassis while I worked on resealing the motor to get it ready to drop in. We ended up working 18 hours that weekend, makes me miss winter.

Scored an OBD1 setup and 404 DME at the Charlotte LKQ before I headed south.

Resealing the motor/Replacing timing chain guides/Retiming the motor.

Dk welding on the rear coolant pipe for firewall clearance.

Found a problem with mounting the m60 water pump to the m62, seems the casing of the pump is larger and interferes with the m62 timing cover bolt. This was the case on our pump at least . Nothing an angle grinder couldnt fix.

Had Dk cut out a rear blockoff plate for the m60 manifold , cleans up the rear nicely.

Now came the time to mount the OBD1 CPS on the m62 timing cover, we decided the cast mount looks terrible so we drew up our own.

Welded/Painted/Mounted

Got the chassis ready for its new motor and the engine is just waiting on the clutch setup. I plan on using e39 M5 flywheel/e39 530i Clutch disc/M5 pressure plate. Once that and the transmission refresh kit arrive we will be in business.

Some exhaust parts showed up! :nice:

Some future plans a la Monkey Madness...

I'm heading back to Lown Performance next week so stay tuned for updates!
            1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

More good progress. Good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Zacm829 View Post
                Now came the time to mount the OBD1 CPS on the m62 timing cover, we decided the cast mount looks terrible so we drew up our own.
                Can't use the M60 timing cover or just didn't have one?

Comment

The m60 cover is a diff design due to dual row chain. This is the easiest solution. The design changes makes the covers just different enough to where they leak.
                  sigpic

Comment

Ahh, ok. Didn't know that. Carry on! :)

Comment

I was able to get down to Columbia this week and help out. My M5/530i clutch setup had arrived as well as my Spintech muffler. This muffler with the Vibrant resonators should sound great! We also modified a T-60 bit to be able to install the flywheel!

1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

I bought the transmission with a hole in the bellhousing, looks like someone got a little frustrated! :up: Matt preheated, welded, then made sure we had even cooling of the cast bellhousing. Also did some strengthening to the subframe for the added v8 torque.

1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Dk's solution to our lack of a coolant expansion tank. Fit is great asnd should work well.

Stay Tuned

1987 325i-M60b44 swap

Comment

Awwwwww yeah.

The m90 (if that's an m90) may be a little small for that motor though. It'll probably still work. It just may make quite a bit of heat. But I say do dat shit.
                            Originally posted by Andy.B
                            Whenever I am about to make a particularly questionable decision regarding a worryingly cheap diy solution, I just ask myself, "What would Ether-D do?"
                            1987 325iS m30b34 Muscle car (Engine electrical phase)
                            ~~~~~~~~~~
                            I was born on 3/25…
                            ~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Nice progress man!

Q. Did you end up going with a oem dual mass flywheel?
                              Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Awesome fab work and project!!!
                                Projects Hartge,Alpina & AC Schnitzer Builds.http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=280601
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=227993
                                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=289362

DSC04926 by Raul Salinas, on FlickrDSC03413 by Raul Salinas, on Flickr

Comment

Working...
                                X