No announcement yet.

*Updated & only kinda shitty now!* The definitive 5.0/302 swap guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

in theory they work great, but i think e30_302 had one on his car and it still locked up and threw a rod

i personally never threw a rod but i span my #1 main bearing BAD, and yes i believe it's due to long track days + 6k RPMs + 4qt pan

Comment

"Never" is a strong word....

Last edited by e30_302; 05-11-2015, 10:01 AM.
      sigpic

Comment

It's meant to help prevent oil starvation, not eliminate the chance of engine failure. Is it a possibility that your oil pump failed, e30 302? Maybe oil contamination? That's what killed my engine.

Comment

I know what it's designed to do. Oil didn't drain out of my heads fast enough is the cause I'm going with. Even with that, oil pressure never dropped below 25 psi, still spun a rod bearing.
          sigpic

Comment

i'm still not convinced that one of your rod bolts wasn't like

on a side note, while i was doing research on ford swaps for my e36 i found these pics of drivers' side manifolds (frame rails are the same width from what i've measured)

Comment

That's pretty....but way too much work for me.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post

on a side note, while i was doing research on ford swaps for my e36 i found these pics of drivers' side manifolds (frame rails are the same width from what i've measured)

That actually doesn't look too complex for a header.

Link to thread?
                Could you find any photos of the steering shaft clearance?
                I mean it looks like a HELL OF A LOT of room behind it with the #4 being routed up like that but I wanna see more photos of it.

Comment

dude i'm sorry burl, i was really hammered when i found those pics, i have no idea what thread i found those on

however, i at least had the sense to save some pics. here's an extra shot of under the header

Comment

Got some things done this weekend, pics are a little out of order

sigpic

Comment

nice, at first i couldn't figure out why you were doing half a windage tray, then i realized i need more sleep, lol

so when's woody gonna be done with your engine?

Comment

I was expecting to have it by now honestly, but I haven't asked. Been busy enough doing other things, but now I'm starting to run out of things to do without an engine...
                        sigpic

Comment

just out of curiosity, when did you place the order? wasn't it like, six months ago now?

this'll be one more bad mark for woody in my book. for a while i was considering doing a dart 302 (like, actual 302), solid roller cam/lifters + shaft rockers so i could do a high revving (for a pushrod engine, maybe max of 7500-8000 RPM) turbo build and keep the rod ratios/piston speeds in check... so i sent him a PM on corral asking if he did stock stroke dart shortblocks.

basically he told me that i was wasting his time and to fuck off, or at least that's how i interpreted his message

Originally posted by strokeme
                          i dont really do any stock stroke stuff simply because it doesnt pay and I am not in the market to compete with dirt floor engine builds such as 1000 dollar stock block shortblocks. 99% of guys dont want a stock stroke engine, they want a stroker, so that's what the market dictates and i build what I like to build, so this is not a job for me, its fun everyday instead of being a grind and job you hate. If i dont like it, I dont build it. its nice to have that luxury
                          his tune changed drastically when i replied with my original PM, only with the dart part in bold this time.... which really rubbed me the wrong way. that's some primadonna i'm-used-to-getting-my-dick-jerked-off-on-these-forums-so-fuck-you-i-do-what-i-want bullshit if you ask me. him or his wife should at least be calling once a month to give status updates to their customers or something

you know what? actually i think this is the final nail in the coffin. fuck jim woods. i think i'm just gonna do a LS

Comment

Dec. 22 was when I placed the order. I agree with your feelings on the tone of his message. I've only interacted with Jim on a few emails, and he's been very pleasant. I've emailed Nicole several times working things out, and she's also very pleasant and helpful. If I had to do it all over from the very beginning, I would have done an LS, no question.
                            sigpic

Comment

And I asked Jim the same question on doing a 302 build instead of a stroker, and he said the cost would be the same, as the money is in the labor, not the parts. I can't fault the guy for not doing a ring/home job and putting his name on it (which was probably what he thought you were looking for,maybe?)
                              sigpic

Comment

who knows. maybe it had something to do with his website? [which really doesn't make things any better]

i subscribed to his build website to get some simple information and then immediately cancelled the recurring payments, because who really needs a pass for more than a month? in any case, for some stupid reason his website is set up to deny access to those who don't have an active recurring subscription or something.... in any case when i emailed about it he copped a serious attitude about it, like i was an asshole for not wanting to contribute to his "paying off the mortgage" fund.

in any case, /rant

still not sure what i'm gonna do with the e36 (i have two years until i can slap historic plates on it, so i have to wait until then for a swap) though an article on jalopnik that cropped up today reminded me of something....

the gt350 is coming out soon, if its engine has the same dimensions as a coyote it'll fit :D

Comment

Working...
                                X