My M60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
    :facepalm: You need to have oil in the engine! DO NOT crank it over without oil.... I know you're 16, but really? Are you fucking serious? FILL IT WITH OIL. Add ATF to each cylinder (yes, all of them). Crank over by hand at least 20 times. Then crank it over using the starter motor. Then check it all again.

The piston rings require oil to properly seal. No oil = no seal = no compression. I can't believe I'm having to explain this...

It sounds like your numbers jumped up quite a bit (especially #4) which is promising.
    Yes I'm serious..I wanted to do a quick check to see if I was going to be wasting my time with this engine..I honestly can't see how adding oil will fix the gap of 160psi to 30.. But I'll check it all again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    sigpic'89 325i
    M60 swap in progress

Comment

Riiiiiiiiiiiggghhtttt...... like no one's ever done something stupid when they were 16 and just getting into cars, right?

Adding oil (I don't mean in the cylinders, but into the sump) is something you definitely want to do if you're cranking it over with the starter - this can rape bearings pretty quick.... definitely a rookie mistake, but hey, shit happens. Regardless though, lack of oil won't affect your compression numbers much until the bearings are wiped out.

If it makes you feel any better, when I was your age, I was doing a turbo setup on my first car (miata) and accidentally piped the compressor inlet and outlet backwards... couldn't figure out why I had to jam my AFM flap partially open to get the car running

Comment

Originally posted by Jack89i View Post
        Did I mention that I'm 16? I'll be getting stuck a lot so any help/suggestions will be very helpful..
        You're doing great for a 16 year old.

Originally posted by CorvallisBMW View Post
        :facepalm: You need to have oil in the engine! DO NOT crank it over without oil.... I know you're 16, but really? Are you fucking serious? FILL IT WITH OIL. Add ATF to each cylinder (yes, all of them). Crank over by hand at least 20 times. Then crank it over using the starter motor. Then check it all again.

The piston rings require oil to properly seal. No oil = no seal = no compression. I can't believe I'm having to explain this...

It sounds like your numbers jumped up quite a bit (especially #4) which is promising.
        Chill out, man. If it has 30 psi of cranking compression, he really can't hurt it any more. Cranking it with the plugs out with no oil is fine. It's not a brand new engine that's totally dry... the yard just drained the oil. There's still oil in the bearing interface and without compression load on the rods, there's nothing to squeeze that oil out.

Ok after I put ATF in, I got 180 from cyl. 2 and 120 from cyl. 4
        Up from 160 (cyl. 2) and 30 from cyl. 4
        Good results. How about the other low ones you mentioned? Have you tested all 8 cylinders?

Comment

If you call LKQ and tell them they sold you a junk engine, will they deliver another and pick the old one up for free? If there's no additional delivery charge I'd get a new one pronto - see if you can't start with something a little better.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
            You're doing great for a 16 year old.

Chill out, man. If it has 30 psi of cranking compression, he really can't hurt it any more. Cranking it with the plugs out with no oil is fine. It's not a brand new engine that's totally dry... the yard just drained the oil. There's still oil in the bearing interface and without compression load on the rods, there's nothing to squeeze that oil out.

Good results. How about the other low ones you mentioned? Have you tested all 8 cylinders?
            I'll be testing all 8 shortly

sigpic'89 325i
            M60 swap in progress

Comment

C'mon guys. We were all 16 once or at least will be so lets help this guy out and not flame on him.

Change the oil in your car, take what you drain out and put it in this engine. So what if it's old...at least that way you're not wasting extra $20 and going to further damage the bearings. Put a little ATF in the cylinders like others mentioned.

Spin the engine over a few times to get everything oiled up. Make sure the battery you're using to jump the starter is FULLY charged and that you are using thick wires to hook up to the starter (looks like you were using speaker wire in one picture which will not give the starter the proper oomph).

I'll be back in town Thursday and Friday, PM me or hit me up on Facebook if you need/want help.

Good luck
              '87 325ic, powered by S50.

Comment

M20 is almost out! Just that one bundle of wires that goes into the fusebox

sigpic'89 325i
                M60 swap in progress

Comment

GJ bro

Why does noone pull the tranny and engine separately? Granted, it was a bitch to get to a few of the bellhousing bolts, but it seems easier than pulling them together.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
                    GJ bro

Why does noone pull the tranny and engine separately? Granted, it was a bitch to get to a few of the bellhousing bolts, but it seems easier than pulling them together.
                    Thanks, yea it's a bitch to get to all the bell housing bolts and if its autotragic, you have to undo all the torque converter bolts

sigpic'89 325i
                    M60 swap in progress

Comment

Yea I had it grounded but the wire melted..

Just keep increasing the wire size until it stops melting then that should do

This should be good
                      1989 BMW 325is Lachsilber metallic 5 speed
                      2007 BMW 335i KARMESINROT 6 Speed manual
                      2011 BMW X5 35I

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinl View Post
                        This should be good
                        Oh don't worry, it will be good

sigpic'89 325i
                        M60 swap in progress

Comment

Went and returned the m60 yesterday..I've decided to go another direction with the swap. I'm going Saturday to look at another 8 cylinder engine. Just not from Germany

sigpic'89 325i
                          M60 swap in progress

Comment

Ah sheet... is it 'Murica tiem now? I can get behind this :)

On the other hand though, you do get like +100 jalop points if it's a 1/2/3UZ

Comment

Just read through the whole thing.

Sad to hear that Nikasil motor didn't work out. I was 20 a year ago when I started my V8 swap, with no engine swap experience prior to that. A year later of hard work and persistence, my car's on the road and turning heads every time I floor it. Fuck anyone who calls you a rookie. No shame in making mistakes, how else are you supposed to learn?

On a lighter note, A 1UZ would sound sick. :D

Comment

Should've noted this when I suggested the 1uz idea, but there is very little aftermarket (read: performance) support for the UZ series... at least when I was looking into in a few years ago. Who knows though? Maybe things have changed since then.

Comment

Working...
                                X