My M60 swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
    Good to hear the brakes work well, finally getting around to 'fixing' mine. What size masters are you rocking?
    Using 5/8 for front and rear and a 3/4 for the clutch. What brake setup are you running?
    sigpic'89 325i
    M60 swap in progress

Comment

Massive's booster delete kit, stock master, stock brakes. They currently suck. I believe my clutch master is a 3/4, that shit is great (ACT pressure plate rated to 450 ft/lbs of torque and the pedal effort is like a stock e30)

I used this site:

to calculate how much braking torque I currently have. It's roughly 800#s. According to the website, our cars need roughly 3200-3400#s of braking torque to be good.

Not wanting to spend a shitton of money on a braking setup I decided to do a 5lug swap for a budget BBK. This setup is (IMO) just as good as any fancy BBK out there as far as braking torque goes, maybe not for cooling/track longevity but that's not an issue I'll be running into. I just want stock braking power back :(

$240 Lithuanian front hub adapters - allows you to bolt non-M e36/46 hub/wheelbearing assemblies onto your stock struts. They seem to be well made and are priced good. The 16mm 'set screw' is goddamn billet, which gets big brownie points in my book. Also, will push your wheel out by roughly 12mm
      $200 6 cylinder non-M Z3 rear hubs - fits in the stock trailing arm / wheel bearing, also sticks your wheel out by about 23mm
      $500 E46 front hub / wheel bearing assemblies
      $seeabove E46 330i front and rear brakes - reading how big they are on the internet does not do them justice. The rotors are fukken HUGE.
      $200 Hawk HP pads all around
      20ish mm spacer for the caliper bracket in the rear

According to the calculator, this setup DOUBLES the amount of available braking torque. With a 5/8" master I'll be putting out roughly 3500#s of braking torque. One downside is that your wheels get pushed out a bit and that they need to be 17"s.

The big pluses for me are that aside from the pads (unless you wanna get regular stuff) all the wear parts have off-the-shelf availability. Also, the tire selection for 17's is kickass compared to 16's (and they're much cheaper). You're getting the same braking power (maybe not efficiency and longevity) as a fancy custom BBK for all four wheels, but essentially a new set of wheels and tires for free.

Comment

That website is pretty handy. I'm also thinking of a 5 lug for a BBK.
        I just ordered the clutch and flywheel so I can try* to drop the engine in this weekend but my engine doesn't have any bell housing bolts..where could I get some without going to LKQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        sigpic'89 325i
        M60 swap in progress

Comment

looking awesome man!
          Originally posted by Jack89i View Post
          That website is pretty handy. I'm also thinking of a 5 lug for a BBK.
          I just ordered the clutch and flywheel so I can try* to drop the engine in this weekend but my engine doesn't have any bell housing bolts..where could I get some without going to LKQ

if you find the measurements or a place to get them would you post it? I am in the same boat.

Comment

Just checked google maps and it looks like you've got a few Fastenall stores in Raleigh. They specialize in nuts and bolts, though they do sell other things. Find a bolt that fits in the block, see how far deep it goes then add that length to the thickness of the bellhousing ears. They most likely will have your bolts in stock, if not they can get special order stuff within a few days. Also, you can get them in regular hex and won't have to deal with those inverse torx heads!

Oh yeah they're also cheap as shit too. Less than $10 for everything probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack89i View Post
              Getting some parts together. A big shout out to garagistic for all the nice m60 swap parts. Very high quality and would recommend to anyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
              is that steering linkage in that pic from garagistic also?

Comment

No that is a flaming river joint. The joints are 54splineX17mm with a 3/4" DD shaft

sigpic'89 325i
                M60 swap in progress

Comment

good info. thanks man

Comment

so these....

Comment

Yea those are the same joints but I used this shaft https://www.flamingriver.com/index.p...s0004/FR1850SS
                      I'll take a close up picture of it when I get home

sigpic'89 325i
                      M60 swap in progress

Comment

sigpic'89 325i
                        M60 swap in progress

Comment

Came in today

sigpic'89 325i
                          M60 swap in progress

Comment

Don't have a buddy to hold the crankshaft bolt while you undo the flywheel? No problem!

sigpic'89 325i
                            M60 swap in progress

Comment

Yea i guess that works. So how thick are the tranny ears on the (I have no idea what transmissions the v8 cars use)? Reason I ask is the bolts they gave you have a whole lot of shank to em... I guess you could make them work with a whole lot of washers, but I'd have concerns about the shank bottoming out.

In the future request allthread bolts / ones with no shank.

Comment

My M60 swap

Got some goodies today

sigpic'89 325i
                                M60 swap in progress

Comment

Working...
                                X