My '90 325is LS3 Swap Build Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CLM21 View Post
    What was your build? Checked some posts, Im assuming a turbo build with a forged ls1?

Yeah, I can only assume labor on a build like this would probably be as expensive, if not more expensive than the parts themselves. No way I would be doing this build if I had someone else doing the labor.
    Ive pretty much gone through the car from top to bottom and beefed up everything to suit the 7L motor. I reckon there is like 20hrs labour in just making up and fitting the new pedal box, so I'd hate to be paying someone for this stuff.

There are things missing from the garret swap guide/kit you'll probably want to do to finish off the car to your standard, not just try to get it in there pretty cheap. There is a lot of DIY stuff in the guide that makes it seem easy/cheap if you have the ability and equipment to do it all yourself, otherwise you would be better off buying one of their (or others) kits.

Add up a quick list of things.

Swap/kit components (mounts, etc)
    Engine
    Transmission
    Clutch
    Tailshaft
    Sump
    Differential / Rear End
    Electrics
    Cooling
    Fuel system

Then if you start replacing components that look worn/old or fixing the few short comings LS1 motors have that see them die. Plus you have things like brake upgrades, gauges, fittings, lines, fluids, etc.

If I did this on the ultra cheap I still reckon it would cost me $10,000. If you are going all out and using new parts, especially if you spend time on the headers, upgrade the valvetrain or fit some new bits, I reckon your realistic budget all said and done would be closer to 15k than 10k.
    Just a little project im working on
    - http://www.lse30.com -

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan1212 View Post
      TeXJ, I don't think the words "LS1 swap" and "Budget" go along together very well lol

I am currently in the middle of doing the swap, got my motor/tranny/harness from a wrecked 99 trans am, and using Garret's kit.

As my project sits, I am looking at about 14-15k to complete it with what I want to do to it and have done to it, keeping the motor stock with the exception of the headers (and ripped every bit of emissions control off the motor).

From what I have learned from projects like these, come up with a reasonable price you think, then double it. I was thinking about 7k in the beginning, and will be right around 14-15 when done.

CLM, can't wait to see this swap progress, it will be a fun build man.
      Our LS1-E30 cost us around $8k, which included engine & tranny, new brakes, springs, shocks, steering rack, etc etc, welder, tools. If you are in for 14-15, you must be doing lots of stuff that is "icing on the cake".
      E30-LS1 aka. 357is
      email us to pick up our LS1 swap guide
      E30-LS1 KITS now available!!
      E30LS1@gmail.com
      e30ls1.com

Comment

Originally posted by garretvs View Post
        Our LS1-E30 cost us around $8k, which included engine & tranny, new brakes, springs, shocks, steering rack, etc etc, welder, tools. If you are in for 14-15, you must be doing lots of stuff that is "icing on the cake".
        I will admit for sure I have done some stuff that doesn't NEED to be done for just a budget swap, but my car will be track only, so I have done some other parts and accessories that work for my situation.

My point overall, is that if you want to do it for as cheap as possible, you need to plan way ahead and keep to it, because as soon as you pick one better part or an upgrade, the budget goes flying out the window.

Comment

Well, finally worked out a deal on a '90 e30 325i. Unfortunately, not picking it up until next Tuesday and then I am going away for a week so there probably wont be any progress for a full 2 weeks. However, I do already have control arms/bushings, tie rods, sway bars, diff bushings, subframe bushings, rear trailing arm bushings, etc... on order. Planning on picking up some coilovers next week and then doing all this stuff at once when I can get at the car - probably 2 or 3 weekends from now.

Still waiting on the LS3 core, no idea when that will be showing up. Once I get the shortblock assembled, will be picking up some trickflow 255s, custom grind cam, and a fast intake manifold. I am assuming this progress wont be for 3-4ish months down the road. Shortblock won't take too long, but plan on getting all the other supporting stuff done before I actually swap the motors.

Can't wait to finally get my hands on the chassis so I can actually get some work done....

Comment

:) Now that will be a fun motor!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan1212 View Post
              :) Now that will be a fun motor!
              Thats the plan!

Comment

glad I sub'd!
                1990 325is
                m52b28
                3.73lsd
                g260 (1987 325is 5spd tranny)

Comment

Subbed!

I have an RB25DET swapped E30 myself. Thinking of switching over to an LS1.
                  Alpine White 1989 E30 Coupe - LS1/T56

Comment

Welp, finally got back from out of town. Finally have the car, planning on pulling out most of the suspension today and next weekend. Maybe Ill be able to get some pictures up. Still havent ordered the coilovers yet... hopefully Ill be able to do that this week and then start the install within the next 2 weekends.

Comment

This thread is lacking pics; we demand pics! Please :D
                      1990 325is
                      m52b28
                      3.73lsd

Comment

Finally got to snap a few pics of the car, sorry about the shitty quality... they were with my phone.

Stash in the corner of my room with all my suspension parts waiting to go on....

Planning on picking up coilovers this week... think Im gonna go with AST.
                        Last edited by CLM21; 01-20-2014, 09:04 AM.

Comment

gracias!
                          1990 325is
                          m52b28
                          3.73lsd

Comment

Just got my coilovers ordered today, and got the sikky swap kit paid in full and shipped today! Shortblock should also be arriving or maybe just shipped next week, but cant wait to get that and get some pictures up. Parts are finally coming together, should be a decent amount of progress in the next month!

Comment

pics of parts :D
                              1990 325is
                              m52b28
                              3.73lsd

Comment

Originally posted by TeXJ View Post
                                pics of parts :D
                                Will do when I get em all in, should be a lot of stuff coming in in the next few weeks...

Comment

Working...
                                X