No announcement yet.

E30 M3 v4.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So stoked on this Bruce!!! Glad you found a motor and trans! Can't wait to see videos of this!
    Check out Undr8d Empire on Facebook: www.facebook.com/Undr8dEmpireLlc

INSTAGRAM: @UNDR8D_EMPIRE

Scarlet V2 - #Project333Ti by @castromotorsport, @kingsautobodyshop, @bimmerheads, @hardmotorsport, @excel_motorsports & @mateomotorsports - http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371356

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

^ i dont know how your signature is the size of my desktop, but i would probably re size that lol

Comment

This looks like one of those no nonsense builds. Everything doesn't have to be buttoned and showroom perfect looking. Looks like you guys have made, and continue to make a very serious e30m race car. I respect that.
        Killer build!

Comment

Friday we went to the dyno. It was a Dynojet at True Street Motorsports in McKinney, Texas. Mods to the motor are minimal- no PS pump, no AC compressor, Macht Schnell intake (no air box, no heat shielding under hood), headers are stock but cylinder 8 tube is modified to clear the steering linkage, custom header back exhaust that you can see in the above pics. Stock E90 M3 FW, clutch and 6 speed into an E30 M3 4.10 diff. Did 3 pulls. 1st pull the tires spun on the rollers. 2nd and 3rd pull were nearly identical at 379 RWHP and 261 ft lbs (SAE correction with smoothing of 5).

Saturday- race at MSR Cresson. Practice session was first time this engine was on track at speed. Feeling car out. Had ABS issue as it turns out. Did a 1:25. With S54 (and 50 less HP) I was around 1:22 last year IIRC. Last time car ran at COTA it was wet- I softened suspension and don't think I put it back so I put 2 clicks of compression in all 4 corners. 2nd session was qual. Pushing the car more it was oversteery everywhere. No bite on turn in and power oversteer at will (duh). Did a 1:22...going in the right direction as far as time goes but car just doesn't feel good. 3rd session is first race. I start at back because I don't feel confident. Did a 1:23 in the race. 4th session was another race. Best time was a 1:25- going in wrong direction. Had a tank slapped in lap 3 that I was able to save. Same spot in lap 4 I wasn't able to save that tank slapper.

Sunday- qualifying and 1 hour enduro. Overnight I remembered I pulled out all the wing(it was set to flat), so I put in 7 degrees of wing. Car felt better but still 1:25. Enduro- we put more wing and took out some compression in front. At the pit stop the fronts were at 35 psi and the rears at 39 (target for Hoosier R100 slicks are 30). Lowered the pressure to 30. Set fastest lap after pit stop but still only a 1:24.

I think the suspension needs to be retuned. I probably need to rebuild this suspension and revisit the spring rates and sway bars (front is stock E30 M3 but relocated due to motor swap, not running a rear bar). Would really prefer to replace suspension with MCS but that isn't in the financial budget.

Probably just park the car for a bit and revisit it with fresh thoughts later. Probably not race it again until October at TWS.

Not fully healed thumb was a non issue.

Comment

Seeing as this is m3 v4.1 I didnt think this had a financial budget

Comment

In the initial build was nearly 10 years ago.

Comment

what management are you using? Stock?
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                  what management are you using? Stock?
                  We need to talk about Alpha-N. :)
                  john@m20guru.com
                  Links:
                  Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

the S85 DME is so far ahead of most affordable standalones, that's why I'm curious. :)
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Touche, not talking stand alone ;)
                      john@m20guru.com
                      Links:
                      Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

Have a pyrometer? Checking tire temps?

Comment

ECU is stock MSS60.

Have pyrometer, didn't have time to use it.

Comment

yeah, I looked like 5 times yesterday and I see it was the first sentence of the OP. lol
                            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

So sick! I hope to do an s65 e30 one of these days, probably long in the future...
                              -Christian

'02 ///M3 CarbonSchwartz 6MT daily beast
                              08/91 Mtechnic II 325IC alpine/lotus
                              318iS, slow build/garage queen...
                              '37 Chevy pickup, the über project
                              Originally posted by roguetoaster
                              Be sure to remind them that the M42 is one of the best engines ever made, but be sure to not mention where it actually falls on that list.

Comment

Working...
                              X