5.3 LS Swap into 91 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post

Dude, it's all about your tone and the fact that you haven't been able to let it go.
    Your sarcastic LOL's, "THE IRONY THAT...", etc. -- nawmsayin?

Advice and then a simple "Ok, man...it's your build. I'd probably do it different" after you're met with a disagreement is respectable.
    Going on and on while acting like you know better than everybody else who purchased and uses these isn't quite as respectable.

On a side note, I appreciate your input on the Diff because I may not have even noticed I was reading the wrong chart without you saying something.
    Hadn't really looked too deeply into final gearing until you asked and I was calculating it on a break from putting my motor back together.
    You're welcome.
    You know there's a reason that engineering degrees are planned as 4 years, right? There's also a reason that becoming a licensed structural engineer requires passing a 16 hour test administered over two days.
    I always get a chuckle out of people telling me parts are great because they haven't broken yet.

Anyway, I've talked about a bunch of stuff you could be googling and learning about.
    Or you could get butt hurt because I'm not worshiping your build.
    Your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Those are definitely nice stacks of dimes, but in actual structural welding, overlapping beads is a no-no because the extra stress the second weld puts into the material around the first bead sets the best conditions for a fatigue crack to form. That mount arm is probably ok, because the overlapped beads are "in the middle" and not subject to the highest stresses... but just because it's pretty doesn't mean it's good. The gusset that is there should have the inside corner hollowed out so the beads don't overlap.

that's interesting, I never heard that before. obviously you have to overlap to some extent when you have to replace your filler rod/stick electrode and tie in but your saying that when those three stringers meet from different directions and terminate at the same point that its bad?

Comment

Or you could get butt hurt because I'm not worshiping your build.
        Your choice.
        Don't really need you to worship my build, man. Personally, I don't care how you feel about it. Ultimately it's for me and I'm having fun sharing as the project progresses. Feel free to keep heckling if you want, just seems unnecessary to me.
        91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

Originally posted by hkv View Post

that's interesting, I never heard that before. obviously you have to overlap to some extent when you have to replace your filler rod/stick electrode and tie in but your saying that when those three stringers meet from different directions and terminate at the same point that its bad?
          Buildings pay more attention to this than cars because the building is (probably) going to be around longer--which means accumulating more stress cycles--and the impacts of failure are bigger... but if you look at exposed steel structure in buildings, you'll mostly see discontinuous beads. The welds are planned to use a whole stick, then they leave space before starting the next bead with a new stick.

In a weld, the fused material solidifies, but is still WAY hotter than the surrounding material. As the fused material cools, it contracts. This puts a tensile stress into the surrounding material. A perpendicular bead over the first does the same thing, but at 90 degrees to the first. So the corners of the HAZ around the intersection of beads have multi-axial stress acting on them, which is a big factor in susceptibility to fatigue failure.

Comment

Personally, I don't care how you feel about it.
            Sure isn't how the situation looks. You also had the option to say "sure man, whatever" and leave it.

Comment

Sure isn't how the situation looks. You also had the option to say "sure man, whatever" and leave it.
              At this point, I'm
              not surprised that your judgment distorted reality like that . I've said multiple variants of "sure, man" and left it multiple times.
              You keep coming back for more.
              Last edited by DividedBeing; 02-15-2020, 04:15 PM.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Got the heads back on and torqued down. Closed up the valve covers, but I still need to order a trunnion kit, so rocker arms and lifters aren't back in yet. I'm hoping to get the oil pan on tomorrow or Monday so I can put my mounts on and plop this baby in the engine bay.

Click image for larger version

Name:	86496851_555356468401352_7347287063051370496_n.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	9905975

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Really loving how this is coming together. Picked up a LS1 Intake manifold with throttle body for $140. Scrubbed it with some purple power and a toothbrush then blew a lot of compressed air at it to get the grime off. Have new gaskets on the way.

Click image for larger version

Name:	86643508_209791753541679_1362505970097324032_n.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	9906089

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

sub'd, love the build
                    85% of the time i have no idea what I'm doing

Comment

Originally posted by Slybeanx View Post
                      sub'd, love the build
                      Thanks man. Glad to have you following along. Are you the dude who had that dork heckling you about your seat cover stitching on facebook?

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Thanks man. Glad to have you following along. Are you the dude who had that dork heckling you about your seat cover stitching on facebook?
                        Hahaha, I most likely am since I haven't seen anyone else posting reupholstered seats on FB recently.

Comment

Hahaha, I most likely am since I haven't seen anyone else posting reupholstered seats on FB recently.
                          I thought they look good! It's cool that you and your dad are working on a car together. Wish my Dad was into cars. Good luck with the build.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

I thought they look good! It's cool that you and your dad are working on a car together. Wish my Dad was into cars. Good luck with the build.
                            Thanks! I have yet to even see them in person xD. Yeah he kinda tried to get me into them when I was younger but it was more like "heres how to do your oil and spark plugs etc). Kinda worked myself into doing more and more from just reading these posts on the forum, I've been trying to convince him that the E30 is a great car and he should get another one so we can match haha...

Comment

Thanks! I have yet to even see them in person xD. Yeah he kinda tried to get me into them when I was younger but it was more like "heres how to do your oil and spark plugs etc). Kinda worked myself into doing more and more from just reading these posts on the forum, I've been trying to convince him that the E30 is a great car and he should get another one so we can match haha...
                              I learn everything from forums and youtube videos. I'm 31 now and it's helped me keep my cars on the road since I was 16, so a lot of reading and watching videos has payed off dividends by being able to do most of what I need done without a mechanic.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

After deliberation over the last few days and some discussions with a few guys who have LS Swaps, I decided I'm going the extra mile (read: wallet melting route) and buying a T-56 Magnum.
                                My primary reason for considering the GS6-53BZ was because of replacability, since buying a used T-56 without having it rebuilt is a major gamble IMO. A used T-56 is anywhere from $1800-$2500 typically. The T-56 Magnum is $3195 brand new.
                                Speedway Motorsports has free shipping on the Ford version. I'm hoping I can convince them to offer free shipping on the LS version, but I might be able to find free shipping elsewhere.

I figure if I somehow blow this beast of a transmission up, I'll just send it to RPM Motorsports and let them build it to survive a bombing.
                                In any case, this pushes me back a couple weeks. I'm half way to being able to buy this thanks to my tax return, but I've been doing most of my parts orders in like $500-1000 increments.

Anyway, posting up a new video tonight.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Working...
                                X