5.3 LS Swap into 91 318i

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post
    Oh, the joys of bleeding a hydraulic throw out bearing.

The ZF and Getrag 260 (not 250 or 240) proven over and over reliability in BMW chassis, is short, light, and close ratio, too bad it's a mission to attach to a USDM market v8.

Many people don't know Getrag were available for many vehicles, including the dohc 60v6 GM cars, many Dodges, MB's, VAG, heavy trucks etc. Just Google "Getrag death rattle" for quick and dirty cross references.They never liked light flywheels, even 45 yr ago.

Will knows this too, and might even add a tidbit about the 284 and 282 variants of the transverse applications in GM cars/trucks.

One thing I can add is the Tremec 6 speed, is they are pretty stout, and can take some serious TQ, but I come from WC t5 days. :( Doesn't take much research being ls1tech type forums to browse what the big HP guys are doing. Problem us it is LONG and HEAVY. First time I picked one up by hand to put on a lift, was "this is worse than an AUTO."
    Yeah, the 282's have a good bit more radial runout on the input shaft inner bearing than I'd expect. I'm not sure if that's "strategic" in order to accommodate eccentricity between the crankshaft and the input shaft or if it's just the way Getrag does things. That bearing is also weird in that it's made for a 26.5mm diameter shaft, so there's nothing on the market to replace it.

I have a couple of 284's on the shelf, but I've never driven a car with one. With F23's available to fill the need for a stronger 5 speed, I'm not sure installing a 284 will ever be worth it to me.

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
      I have an ls7 clutch and I would not recommend it because its heavy and I get locked out of gear at high rpm if I don't bleed the fluid often.
      That's really good to know

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post
      Also, those ceramet pucked disks are NOT friendly to drive. They're friendliER than sintered iron, but still not very nice to drive on the street. That's why I brought up the organic dual disk 7.25" units.
      Definitely taking this into consideration, but the kits I saw on the sites you linked are significantly more expensive than the Monster Stage 3 (I'm sure the cost matches the quality). I've seen a lot of guys saying the MS3 is very streetable. Would be nice to be able to try it out.
      There's going to be close to zero stop and go traffic where I live, and Central Florida is flat as a pancake, so hill starts will never be a problem. If anything, I think I just need to avoid skipping leg day to offset any difficulty from the MS3.
      This car is by no means going to be a DD either way.

Originally posted by ForcedFirebird View Post

Problem us it is LONG and HEAVY. First time I picked one up by hand to put on a lift, was "this is worse than an AUTO."
      Yeah, that's one trade off for sure. Once I've got this car built, I'm going to hunt down an aluminum block 5.3 or whatever aluminum LS variant I can pick up for the right price, build on it, and drop it in this e30.

Assuming I don't kill it, the iron block will most likely end up in a Land Cruiser or 4x4 Van build that's next on my agenda.
      Last edited by DividedBeing; 02-29-2020, 08:09 PM.
      91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

6.0 block and pistons, 4.8 crank and rods...

Comment

Yeah, it's a long term goal so maybe I'll run across the right deal for a 6.0 Aluminum block.

Got my oil pan/oil pickup installed today.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304_170342-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.0 KB ID:	9909569
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304_170351-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	110.7 KB ID:	9909570
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304_170422-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	97.0 KB ID:	9909571
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304_170704-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.3 KB ID:	9909572
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200304_171018-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.2 KB ID:	9909573

If you look real close, you'll see the sickening amount of spots where I've spilled oil all over my brand new concrete. I figure if I just spill it everywhere, it will eventually look like it's supposed to be dark and as if no oil was spilled at all.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Also, not even close to relevant, but I got another axe that I feel compelled to post

Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	9909578

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	418
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	9909579

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	9909580

Name:	7.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	9909581

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post
              Also, not even close to relevant, but I got another axe that I feel compelled to post
              I make guitar pickups professionally

Comment

Originally posted by Elysian View Post

I make guitar pickups professionally
                Nice, man! Personal brand or for a company?

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Yeah, it's a long term goal so maybe I'll run across the right deal for a 6.0 Aluminum block.

If you look real close, you'll see the sickening amount of spots where I've spilled oil all over my brand new concrete. I figure if I just spill it everywhere, it will eventually look like it's supposed to be dark and as if no oil was spilled at all.
                  GM built way more aluminum 6.2's than aluminum 6.0's. The 4.8 crank and rods work in those engines as well.

That's why it's important to seal the concrete first... Pressure washer with detergent is your best best to clean it up.

Comment

Nice, man! Personal brand or for a company?
                    Elysian Pickups, naturally

Comment

GM built way more aluminum 6.2's than aluminum 6.0's. The 4.8 crank and rods work in those engines as well.

That's why it's important to seal the concrete first... Pressure washer with detergent is your best best to clean it up.
                      Yeah, I should have sealed it but didn't really know that until I got into the project and had my shit all over it, so it would be a major pain in the ass to do now.
                      Already tried Dawn, pressure washer, and kitty litter. No luck so far, but I'm going to try baking soda/boiling water and then borax/boiling water

Elysian Pickups, naturally
                      Haha, of course. I listened to some clips on youtube. Your pups sound like they scream.

I've got a nice setup going on. Just retubed this beast and loaded that cab with a set of G12T-75s because I literally smoked the stock 50 watt Celestion voice coils that came in this cab.
                      Sounds so much better all around now, but the amp still needs a recap being an 83.

Click image for larger version  Name:	rig.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.5 KB ID:	9909817

This is the rest of my stable. That's a 1960 Duo-sonic on the right hand side. I put some Custom 69s in it last year because I wasn't a fan of the originals, and they were pretty microphonic.
                      Shielded it with copper tape too.

Click image for larger version  Name:	duosonic.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.1 KB ID:	9909818

Click image for larger version  Name:	60duosonic2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.4 KB ID:	9909822
                      With the original pups. Might put some brown covers on the new ones.

Click image for larger version  Name:	60duosonic3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	9909821

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Yeah, I should have sealed it but didn't really know that until I got into the project and had my shit all over it, so it would be a major pain in the ass to do now.
                        Already tried Dawn, pressure washer, and kitty litter. No luck so far, but I'm going to try baking soda/boiling water and then borax/boiling water

Haha, of course. I listened to some clips on youtube. Your pups sound like they scream.

I've got a nice setup going on. Just retubed this beast and loaded that cab with a set of G12T-75s because I literally smoked the stock 50 watt Celestion voice coils that came in this cab.
                        Sounds so much better all around now, but the amp still needs a recap being an 83.

This is the rest of my stable. That's a 1960 Duo-sonic on the right hand side. I put some Custom 69s in it last year because I wasn't a fan of the originals, and they were pretty microphonic.
                        Shielded it with copper tape too.

With the original pups. Might put some brown covers on the new ones.

My rig:

G12T-75's are fantastic, my last 4x12 had those. My cabinet now has Warehouse ET90's, bought it from the guy who built the cab, really nice construction. I do want to swap them for some Warehouse Reapers, but not in the budget right now. Just got my Marshall 9100 retubed and refurbished, sounds better than ever now.

Comment

Yes! I have seen this combo and I have an LQ9 and a 4.8 with the better rods just because of what it can do.

Comment

My rig:

G12T-75's are fantastic, my last 4x12 had those. My cabinet now has Warehouse ET90's, bought it from the guy who built the cab, really nice construction. I do want to swap them for some Warehouse Reapers, but not in the budget right now. Just got my Marshall 9100 retubed and refurbished, sounds better than ever now.
                            Ooh, nice setup. I'd love to have one of those 9100 Power amps to run BiasFX 2 and other vst stuff into. Think I'm going to end up just adding one of those Metropolous zero loss fx loops to my JCM 800 and running it in that way. You should get a second cab and run that thing in stereo.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Got my oil pan/oil pickup installed today.

nice collection of pics there! your oil pan doubles as a good tool bench hahah. if the oil drops annoy you enough you could just a dip a paint roller in some old engine oil and go for the full send hahaha

Comment

Been pretty quiet, how's it going?

Comment

Working...
                                X