No announcement yet.

noob prepping for an e30 ls swap...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the canton oil pan hang lower than the crossmember?
    First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post
      Does the canton oil pan hang lower than the crossmember?
      Sikky's site says 5" from the block to he bottom of their pan. The Canton pan is 6". It's going to depend on how my motor sits with the mounts when they get here mostly.

You can get an idea from Project Snow White on here. Looks like it's hanging down a bit, but if it is, it's only 1" more than the Sikky Pan would.
      None of the pictures of the pan in his build are great angles, but you can get an idea from seeing all of them together.
      Another thing to keep in mind here is that his motor's sitting a lot lower than standard mounts due to his mounting solution.
      I saw him putting a truck intake on that thing and was like "Wait a sec...."

Click image for larger version

Name:	13908935_10104076912202155_8332525488823459878_o_2cd4b6b1e61d324505b535d8ffd06ee43dab7fc5.jpg
Views:	713
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	9904599

Name:	15078872_10104379304136295_2657430902739542076_n_a7e98dda17f0f134adb5837fae7770e5cd4649a8.jpg
Views:	756
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	9904600

Name:	15078759_10104379303951665_2081737934264904780_n_d307bbbbd1e0917892fd3dae9c48f5057f3923ac.jpg
Views:	748
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	9904601

Name:	15135819_10104379304081405_2927814392813955922_n_27b4383a96cbc1bd69540811d2f2e5452a1bbf5a.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	9904602

Name:	15590344_10104476872134245_7964914750970275717_n_625ca0201e1f162ed912f520d6770d6f9814d018.jpg
Views:	733
Size:	82.7 KB
ID:	9904604

Attached Files
      91 318i LS Swap In Progress - Build Thread

Divided Being Motorsports - Youtube Channel / Build Log

www.dividedbeing.com

Successful Transactions With : AWDBOB

Comment

Also, from what I understand, Garagistic used to sell the Canton pan as their swap solution.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

FYI the CD009 doesn’t fit with a V8 in an e30 without sticking 2” below or adding 2” to the tunnel. I’m adding the 2” in mine, but it’s a pure race car with no interior. ‍♂️ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DividedBeing View Post
            Click image for larger version Name:	mount3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	9904424

Those aren't gusseted in the right direction to deal with engine torque.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

Those aren't gusseted in the right direction to deal with engine torque.
              The guy who builds them has been running them for years in his ride, and if Garrett's will hold, then these will hold.

Name:	volkman.jpg
Views:	717
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	9904792

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Originally posted by justinpirie View Post
                FYI the CD009 doesn’t fit with a V8 in an e30 without sticking 2” below or adding 2” to the tunnel. I’m adding the 2” in mine, but it’s a pure race car with no interior. ‍♂️ Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I'm pretty sure the BFH will get me most of the way there. This guy has a CD009 mated to a 2JZ in his E30. he did a little cutting, but there's not any extreme tunnel modding going on. The only thing I don't like is how far back his shifter is sitting.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

The guy who builds them has been running them for years in his ride, and if Garrett's will hold, then these will hold.

Click image for larger version  Name:	volkman.jpg Views:	0 Size:	27.8 KB ID:	9904792
                  So? That's a sample size of... 5? 10?
                  Last edited by The Dark Side of Will; 02-11-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dark Side of Will View Post

So? That's a sample size of... 5? 10?
                    5 years of clutch kicks and drifting on the builder's mounts without gussets is enough of a sample size for me. Do you have any idea the amount of stress a clutch kick and drifting in general puts on the drivetrain?
                    The entire point of a clutch kick is to put a ton of shock into your drivetrain to spin the tires.

Many people haphazardly fab up shit motor mounts in their back yard that hold up well, man. It's really not rocket science.

Regardless, this guy has a great reputation in the swap community -- if you want to run polls, head over to the BMW LS Swap group on Facebook and ask them how many of their mounts have grenaded (none).
                    I'm 100% confident if they ever broke (they won't), he'd send me a brand new set built however I wanted them.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Keep pushing guys. Hope to join the ls swap e30 crowd one day. Need to clean up this lq9 short block and slap some milled 243's on it.

Comment

Sikky's site says 5" from the block to he bottom of their pan. The Canton pan is 6". It's going to depend on how my motor sits with the mounts when they get here mostly.

You can get an idea from Project Snow White on here. Looks like it's hanging down a bit, but if it is, it's only 1" more than the Sikky Pan would.
                        None of the pictures of the pan in his build are great angles, but you can get an idea from seeing all of them together.
                        Another thing to keep in mind here is that his motor's sitting a lot lower than standard mounts due to his mounting solution.
                        I saw him putting a truck intake on that thing and was like "Wait a sec...."
                        Nice! there is a big difference in price from the canton to sikky oil pan.
                        First e30 - 1991 318i 4 door

Comment

Originally posted by z28 View Post

Nice! there is a big difference in price from the canton to sikky oil pan.
                          So the breakdown goes:

Oil Pan: $359
                          Dipstick $28
                          Gasket: $28
                          Oil Pickup $35
                          Stud Kit: $13
                          Filter Relocation Block: $62
                          Filter Relocation Kit: $75

Comes out to $600. Everything purchased from Ebay except the Gasket that I picked up from Summit.

So to get the same setup from Sikky, it comes out to $971 for me. And depending on the state you live in, they'll charge you tax on top of that. It was showing as $55 for tax before I put in my shipping info.

The only thing I regret is not being fancy and getting the gold colored pan. Probably going to cover it with a skid plate anyway.

www.dividedbeing.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pootis View Post

Same kind of performance no unless you are running a turbo or supercharger. But at the end of the day if I could go back in time I'm not sure I would do an ls swap again I would do a big turbo m50. You could have an M50 swapped in and running in a weekend. No way you could do that with an ls at least not your first one.
                            I started researching the LS swap path, then went to m60 path, and ended up beginning my build based around an m50 turbo setup - it was just much easier to build based on my research and a lot more trial and error has already been done for you

Comment

5 years of clutch kicks and drifting on the builder's mounts without gussets is enough of a sample size for me. Do you have any idea the amount of stress a clutch kick and drifting in general puts on the drivetrain?
                              The entire point of a clutch kick is to put a ton of shock into your drivetrain to spin the tires.

Many people haphazardly fab up shit motor mounts in their back yard that hold up well, man. It's really not rocket science.

Regardless, this guy has a great reputation in the swap community -- if you want to run polls, head over to the BMW LS Swap group on Facebook and ask them how many of their mounts have grenaded (none).
                              I'm 100% confident if they ever broke (they won't), he'd send me a brand new set built however I wanted them.
                              Less stress than a lard dragstrip launch... In fact breaking tires loose when they're already close to the edge of the traction circle from cornering load is super fucking easy, especially when the car's entire setup is focused on breaking the tires loose instead of maintaining traction. I responded in the other thread; no sense in C&P'ing here.

Comment

Working...
                              X