Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 Cylinder VS V8 Swap weight distribution

Hi Guys,

I recently started planning out an E30 build. It is going to be a weekend car/canyon carver. After researching a bit I want the car to have either an M50 or M60/LSX swap. I was hoping to ask for some advice from those of you who have experience driving both configurations, the 6 cylinder swap and the v8 swap.

My question is with the V8 swap of the M60 or LSX do you find the weight distribution and balance of the car are changed? In other words, does the V8 feel front heavy in the car compared to going with an M50?

Thanks for any help.

Ryan

Well, you could do that, orrr you could swap an N52B30, which can make as much power as an M60 (albeit less torque), *and* it weighs less than an M42! (honestly, I'm biased - I *really* like the N52!)

The M60 is a decent engine though, and it sounds great too. It's probably the only BMW V8 engine I'd consider owning (do NOT buy any modern BMW with a V8!). The thing about V8s is they are much shorter, so even though they weigh more, I don't think it affects the balance as much as you'd think. And BMW V8s are all aluminum, so they are slightly lighter than the typical V8 (4v heads will always be bigger/heavier than 2v heads though, like the 5.0l ford or 350 Chevy - a reason the LSx swaps are also popular).

Another thing to consider, the M60 transmission is going to weigh a lot more than one from any of the inline 6 engines (because, torque - and this is true of any V8 swap). The M60 swap has been done several times, but it's definitely not going to be as easy as a typical 24v swap is. The E30 was designed for inline engines, so that's what fits best, although obviously people have done everything from V8s to V12s. It's just up to time, cost, and what you really want.

I can't imagine any reason to pick an M50 now though, unless you're going to completely build the engine. It barely makes more power than an M20 (189 vs 168, although at the wheel, the difference is even smaller), and by now, even the newest M50 or M52 is over 20 years old. I guess the best part is the swap is extremely well documented and almost brainless, but honestly I'd rather put that money into an M20 build. You can gain 20whp on a healthy stock M20 with just a few changes, and it's also period correct (the E30 is old, remember!).

Another good option is the M54. It's lighter than the M50, much newer, and makes more power. It's not as advanced as the N52 (the weaker block will not sustain high revs) but the swap is more similar to the M50 and it has been done more times. I think there are only 2-3 E30s with N52s, but there are more than a dozen with the M54. And M54s are dirt cheap. If you *must* have a 24v E30, I think the bare minimum has to be the M54 - at least it's not heavier than the M20, and the swap is barely any more complicated. The M54 is basically an aluminum M52, after all.

I don't want to tell you what to do, but engine swaps into E30s are as old as time. There is no right or wrong way to do one, or right or wrong engine. But to me, after a while of seeing these things done over and over - I think people who tossed out perfectly good M20B25s for a 1992 M50B25NV just because it had a 4v head were probably making a mistake in the long run.

Of course if you started out with an M10 automatic or even an eta, the answer could be completely different.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

M60? M60? If you’re going through all trouble nut up and find an S62. It’s not even fair to compare the two, the M60 is an unreliable boat anchor, and the S62 will put hair on your chest (male or female). But seriously, you can find S62’s still for reasonable price if you’re willing to look. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      1991 325i MT2 Touring (JDM bro)
      2016 Ford Flex
      2011 Audi A3 - wife's other German car

Comment

Thank you both for the input. I’m new to the bmw and E30 worlds, so if there are better options definitely enlighten me!
        What’s the best route to a well demeanored 400hp? IE a motor that’s not too strung out that it’s not streetable/cruiseable
        nando my main lean towards a V8 is the torque and low end power but I do like the N52 as an option

Comment

400hp is basically a turbo build or maybe an LSx swap. But think about what you *really* want - a 300hp E30 is going to be as fast, if not faster, than a 400hp modern car - because it weighs a lot less. And it'll probably be more driveable too. Heck even 250hp is a lot in an E30. the latest M4 (what we call an M3 nowadays) has 500hp, but it also weighs half a ton more than an E30 (as long with being nearly 2 feet longer/wider, lol).

You're not getting 400hp out of an M50 or M60 without a turbo though.

What's in your E30 now?
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

nando Right Right gotcha. Really appreciate all the info.
            Currently shopping for an e30! So that’s why I’m thinking about this now. If I can find a car set up with something I would be happy with now, or find a stocker and do the work myself

Comment

I have an aluminum LS1 in my DD/track car 318IS, on stock suspension, brakes, and 245 sticky tires it ran the same track times as my prepped C5 vette on 315's. Weight is nearly the same (still have A/C, cruise etc) as an M20 but the weight sits lower and farther back in the chassis. I'm on coilovers with big brakes now and fully expect it'll run significantly faster lap times. I also get comparable mileage to a healthy M42. Zero complaints, car is nimble and easy to throw around with gobs of torque at any RPM.

Comment

Anyone done a 7.3 idi yet?

Because that would need stout front springs.

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                X