Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok to do timing belt change over several days?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok to do timing belt change over several days?

I'm planning on changing the timing belt, water pump, etc. on my '85 325e. I've never done any real mechanical work on cars, so I expect it will take quite a bit of time. Unfortunately, with young kids, I'm never able to get a solid weekend to just work through it, and I'll have to do it on evenings over several days (not necessarily consecutively).

Firstly, are there any issues with leaving everything as-is at any time during the process? I know the coolant has to be drained - is there any chance of that drying up and causing issues? Anything else I should be worried about?

Or if you have any good ideas on how to split the work up over several sessions that would be helpful too. Thanks!

Vince

I don't see why it would be a problem. M20s are really simple mechanically.
    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Concur, there should be no issues doing the work over several days. That said, I'd suggest removing and then reinstalling the new timing belt in a single block of time if you've never done it before. Basically, I could easily see it broken down in to three stages if you have limited time, disassembly until the belt is the last thing left to remove, then belt swap, then reassembly.

Comment

I also have an '85 eta and just finished the timing belt job over the course of more than a day. I basically got all the way down to taking off the timing belt then decided to take off the intake manifold and valve cover too. This meant that all the stuff in terms of a timing belt job was off the car for about a week while I was finding time to clean and paint everything. Just make sure to put a rag in the hole for the water pump on the block if you're not gonna work on it for a bit so nothing gets in there and that should be about it. I'd also recommend labelling and separating all the hardware as it's really easy to forget what went where when you're doing it over a period of time like that. Good luck!

Comment

There's no issue with taking several days. It's better to take your time than to rush it and have to start over. (Make sure you line up the water pump gasket correctly!) I think it took me 3 days the first time, now its down to about 3 hours.

I like to do a valve adjustment with the timing belt, which requires the rocker shaft seals. Also make sure you do the cam seals while the belt is off. You may need an e12 or e14 inverted torx socket for the cam bolt. MAKE SURE TO LOOSEN THE BOLT BEFORE REMOVING THE TIMING BELT!!!!

Just take pictures as you take things apart. Also, put bolts in baggies and label them. Get the Bentley manual as a reference. The pictures will help with reassembly and for your build thread!
          sigpic
          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Thanks everyone, this is super helpful! Great to see the community here and how quickly I got responses.

Comment

You will need special tools to unscrew the front fan.
              You may need a good set of hex sockets to unscrew the distributor rotor. An allen wrench may flex too much.

Here are good howtos for each step:
              Detailed DIY write ups with pictures for your E30 from Classic Bimmer Bits.

Comment

I've never used a special tool on the fan in nearly 20 years of E30 ownership - I just hit the end of the wrench a couple times with a hammer to break it free (it shouldn't be that tight). you also can jam a 10mm wrench between the nuts too in order to hold the fan pulley in place, and make sure you leave the belt on when loosening the fan & pulley bolts.
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

The times have changed.
                  You skimped on the BMW tool Made in Germany because it cost $100.

Now, you can buy a set on eBay for $10-15. If you have a classic bicycle, you may already have a 32mm wrench that is used to adjust the headset.

Comment

I guess; I have a 32mm wrench that works - never needed the special one or the holder thingy.
                    Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

ive never used the holder, it doesnt need to be torqued up much more than what a light tap with rubber mallet gives
                      89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Taking the whole cylinder head with the intake manifold attached took me 2 hours. M20s are fun and simple.
                        I took days thinking about removing just the exhaust manifold of e46 m52b28tu till now i didn't know where to start

Last edited by ADEN; 05-19-2021, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          I guess; I have a 32mm wrench that works - never needed the special one or the holder thingy.
                          In the worst cases, take off the water pump pulley bolts to gain extra space for your big 32mm.

Comment

Working...
                          X