Coolant level sensor leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coolant level sensor leak

Tried searching and didn’t see much so apologize if this is a repeat. Anyone know of a solution for a leaking coolant level sensor? My system get to pressure, then the level sensor starts leaking from around the sensor black screw. I thought I broke it, so I bought a new sensor. That didn’t solve it. I can screw it down but can feel the threads slip. I tried adding some Teflon tape but that didn’t work. Reservoir bottles are ~$100 from FCP. Used go for less, of course. Anyone have similar issues? Trying to figure out if there’s a fix, if a used bottle would have similar issues or if I’ve got to buy new?

Thank you

edited to add: level sensor
    Last edited by SD-KC; 06-02-2021, 07:24 PM.

You did not mention any crush washers. Are you using the required crush washer?

Comment

I should clarify this. This is the level sensor in the coolant reservoir tank near the AFM behind the drivers headlight. The coolant level sensor has a black o-ring inside the housing. Would I need another crush washer for this?

Comment

The crush washers would be in reference to the engine coolant sensor.

I dont exactly know what you are talking about but did you replace that o-ring you mention?

Comment

The new in box sensor has new rubber o-rings. I think the problem is that the threads on the coolant reservoir bottle are oxidized. This sounds uncommon. Maybe a used reservoir would be the fix I need.

Comment

Hey did a new tank end up being what you need? Just got this issue today and was gonna put some rtv on the threads or something to create a seal but wanted to see what worked for you.

Comment

I ended up getting a used reservoir from Classic Daily. https://www.classicdaily.net

i can tell the threads are much tighter. However, my small project has snow balled into, oil pan gasket, steering rack swap, etc. it should be back on the road soon. I’ll reply back with the results.

Comment

Thanks for the reply! Best of luck with your project.

Comment

The used reservoir resolved my problem. The threads got ruined on the original from either the plastic getting brittle or something was the issue.

Comment

If the reservior is discolored , I would looking at replacing it with a new one.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                    X