Alternator bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternator bushings

Hi- This is my first post. So, in advance thanks for everyone’s knowledge. I had an E30 back in 1985. I just purchased a 1986 325es (mfgr date 10-85). The alternator bushings need replaced. I have read up on a lot of old posts. Thought I was going to go with the Bosch white bushings but they are NLA. Also, how many bushings are required (I think its 4 but not sure and I don’t think they are all alike but that’s why I’m here LOL). The car will only be driven 300-500 miles per year probably and will not be tracked, etc., just a weekend cruiser. So, with that said, how many bushings, what types (all the same?), and would I be OK with rubber ones now that the Bosch are not available? If you have any part numbers etc or should I get some off eBay/Rockauto etc. I know this has all been discussed in length but most of the posts I was looking at were very old and things change (like parts listed in those posts are NLA). Greatly appreciate everyone’s knowledge and time.

I've had an E30 in the family since 85 as well. 86 325e alternator is solid mounted. There shouldn't be any bushings to replace. The only E30 models that had alternator bushings were the 323i euro M20B23, M3, 318i. It's likely that a previous owner swapped the alternator with one from the aforementioned models. If this is the case, you have to decide if you want to replace the bushings or get the proper solid mount alternator.

According to RealOEM, the 80A alternator was available with bushings. I had an 85 325e which was fully loaded so it may have come with the 90A solid alternator. It could be the 86 325 base model came with the 80A or it was changed at some point.
    Last edited by reelizmpro; 09-23-2021, 08:50 AM.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Thanks reelizmpro. It definitely has bushings. I tried to find the page on another feed but can’t now that stated BMW switched from bushings to solid and it stated 11-85 was when they did that (the month after this one was produced). Maybe all 325es came without the bushings and like you stated its been swapped. I’d rather have the solid one but figured bushings would be best route as its not bad. If I find that statement I will post here. So, do you know how many bushings and are they all the same of two larger and 2 smaller? Thanks.

Comment

Bosch white busing should be available somewhere, Maybe the dealer? S14 uses the same bushing.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
        @Zakspeed_US

Comment

FYI- I just got a call back from Bosch and their bushing were NLA/obsolete parts as of 2015. That was part # 1 120 323 001 for the large and 1 120 323 002 for the small.

Comment

Just google using the part numbers.

Find Febi-Bilstein, 1037 Alternator Mount Bushing; Lower; Large Soft 12311268433 at discount prices in our extensive BMW auto parts catalog. AutohausAZ offers a large selection of Febi-Bilstein parts online. 2 per car. Fits BMW 325i, M3, 528i, 530i, 535i, 2002, M5, 325is, 325e, 318i & more. 1037 1120323001 12311268447 W0133-1634241 W0133-1643541 W0133-1643864

The second one is available only in Europe.
            Last edited by Vincenze; 09-23-2021, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Can confirm my 1986 325 also has alternator bushings, just replaced them a bit over a month ago actually.

RealOEM lists two part numbers for the bushings:
              12311268433 - There’s non-OEM Febi versions of these available at a bit over a dollar a bushing. I bought these from FCPEuro and used them in mine.

12311268447 - There’s only OEM parts available under this part number, meaning you’ll spend nearly 100 on alternator bushings due to them being well over $20 per.

It’s a very easy fix, just clean out the old bushings pretty good and they’ll slide right in.
              Last edited by rudy; 09-23-2021, 02:10 PM. Reason: tap-a-talk hates me

Comment

Hi Rudy- I saw those Febi versions on eBay. Was not sure how good they were as I know nothing about which alternator bushings will give the least amount of problems. Seems like a fairly easy job. HOW MANY BUSHINGS DOES IT TAKE AND ARE THEY ALL THE SAME SIZE? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Signedchecks View Post
                  Hi Rudy- I saw those Febi versions on eBay. Was not sure how good they were as I know nothing about which alternator bushings will give the least amount of problems. Seems like a fairly easy job. HOW MANY BUSHINGS DOES IT TAKE AND ARE THEY ALL THE SAME SIZE? Thanks.
                  Sorry I forgot to note that. It takes 4 bushings and all are the same size.

Comment

Rudy- Thanks. I looked them up on FCPEuro. You were correct on the price. Just wanted to have the bushings before I started in on that project and was not sure how many it took (don’t have the car here right now). I will let you know how it goes. Once again, really appreciate your input.

Comment

Rudy- Thanks. I looked them up on FCPEuro. You were correct on the price. Just wanted to have the bushings before I started in on that project and was not sure how many it took (don’t have the car here right now). I will let you know how it goes. Once again, really appreciate your input.
                      Happy to help! Besides the bolts you'll have to unscrew to get the alternator out, you also have to remove a circlip that retains the metal sleeve in the hole of the bushings. Make sure to have some circlip pliers handy for this part. You can see what I'm talking about in this diagram.

Comment

Great diagram. Gives me a lot better idea of what I’m getting into. Not sure if I have any circlip pliers so I will get some of those. I’m sure it would make it much easier. Once again, thanks for all your help!

Comment

If it were me, I would go solid mount. Eliminates the need to change those pesky bushings as well as the ground wire. You could probably pick up a rebuilt 90A solid alternator for about $100 on ebay.
                          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

I will look into that too as Ive not ordered the bushings yet. So, with a 90A they do not use bushings? Will it require different mounting screws then on the 80A? What needs done with the ground wire?

Comment

I will look into that too as Ive not ordered the bushings yet. So, with a 90A they do not use bushings? Will it require different mounting screws then on the 80A? What needs done with the ground wire?
                              On my 323i, it was a direct bolt on...same bolts and brackets. Because the alternator is solid mounted, it's grounded through the bracket so there is no need for a ground wire.

Comment

Working...
                              X