torque specs on 1985 323i euro head:(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

torque specs on 1985 323i euro head:(

, I was torqueing the head down, got the 22ft lbs, then the 90 degree turn and then almost through the second 90 degree turn on one torx bolt and the gauge broke:(.
    So what is the torque on the head , so I can use my huge torque wrench on the head:). I need to finish this; not sure I can wait until I get another degree tool.???
    Any ideas on the ft lbs needed for this head?
    thanks for any help; or ideas. The head is torqued to 70 ft lbs now; I checked it with my torque wrench.
    jm

Just go 90 degrees by eyeing it. Put the wrench parallel to the head and turn it 90 degrees.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

Thanks, I did do that but half-way through the last 90 degree turn on bolt 14 the gauge broke. I was not sure how accurate this had to be, and I can not find a final torque spec on the m20 engine. thanks, jm

Comment

I just followed the torque specs in the head gasket packet for my m20b23. there is no "final torque" spec, they are torque to yeild bolts. you torque them to whatever and then the 90degree business does the stretching. I wouldn't over think it, If you think you got about half way through, then give it another 45 degrees. That'll do it.

All you can really do if you want to do it "properly" is throw that bolt in the bin and put another one in. but if you are confident on the rest fine id just do your best guess on the rotation you missed and start motoring.

Comment

Don't sweat it- if you felt the bolt stretch, you're good.

t
          now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

stretch bolts are actually pretty forgiving - as long as you end up on the "flat" portion of the yield curve (where the bolt stretches but stress/strain flattens out).

I always used an old CD, marked it with a sharpie, and eyeballed it. Never had an issue.

You cannot set a stretch bolt using FT-lbs. (or Nm). That is not how they work.
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Nando Thanks for the reply. So far got the engine back in the car and it turns over fine. Now I have to figure out the fueling problem:).
              thanks,
              jm

Comment

Working...
              X