325iC Introduction and to do list

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

325iC Introduction and to do list

Hi, may name is Jerome. I am new to the community and just purchased a 1991 325i Convertible, automatic. It was produced 7/1990 and first sold 7/1991. I purchased the car this month, there have been several owners, from the records I have on hand, luckily they seem to have take nice care of the car. The exterior is rust free, the interior including seats are in good condition as well. The odometer shows 89,000 miles and is stopped, I estimate there are less than 100,000 miles on the car based on the last odometer gear repair date. This car will be a sunny weekend driver. My DD is a 1998 Volvo C70 Coupe which I have become adept at fiddling with over my 17 years of ownership. Look forward to becoming as familiar with the BMW.

The car was purchased based on photos and a video and then shipped to me. It has been sitting in a warehouse and been driven less than 500 miles since 2014. The cosmetic condition is as described, the mechanical a little less than expected. See notes below, welcome comments and tips to get through this list and anything else I should be checking.

Jerome

IMG_7107

IMG_7108

Known items requiring attention:
    • Brake Rotor, Pad, Hose replace and flush in mid September
    • Fuel pump - whining, will replace once I burn through the old gas(4 years old??), hoping the tank is not rusted, will take a look when I take the pump out
    • Fuel Filter - seems like a good idea to replace at the same time
    • Fuel Hoses - inspect and replace if necessary
    • Blower Fan - cage broken, also missing retaining clip for motor (currently there are zip ties)
    • AC - do not hear compressor kicking on when pressing AC button - will wait to address until after blower is replaced. New compressor and major service in March 2006
    • Radio CM5908 - powers on, NO sound, have code, done trouble shooting with bradnic need to disassemble to confirm diagnosis
    • Amp - same as above, assuming re build is required...
    • Antenna - does not raise, there is power to the power plug in trunk, thinking related to compromised head unit.
    • Antenna - grommet requires replacement
    • Right side mirror - only adjusted left right no up down (left side works in all four directions)
    • Get an extra key cut
    • Shifter lock does not work, can freely shift without pulling button, can this bee repaired or only replaced? (was repairable in my Volvo...)
    • Gas Gauge flutter - read it could be as easy as the ground nut on back
    • Ambient air temperature sensor - erroneous reading on the computer screen, assume the sensor is bad?
    • Top boot lift struts are dead
    • Change computer to Miles from KM
    • Bubble in the top boot cover - have not researched fix yet
    • Right rear passenger side window requires adjustment, needs a little 'help' to close the last few inches
    • Seats need new gas struts and a lube all around
    • No door or seatbelt chime - have not started to research
    • Condition seats - have done one round, need to do continue with additional rounds to soften leather, using leather honey
    • Tires - dry rotted, replaced all 4
    Questionable Items
    • Timing Belt
      • Last documented replacement in January 2008 at 81,000 miles, should this be replaced out of caution, only 20k miles on it but 15 years. Put on list for Spring 2023? Does the water pump have to be replaced too?
    • Suspension - strut mounts are showing age, will likely replace suspension at same time in spring 2023

What else am I missing that should be added to the check, watch or replace list, now? I don't know what I dont know!
    Last edited by CJerome; 09-12-2022, 10:39 AM.
    1991 325iC Automatic ~100k miles

Welcome CJerome!

there’s a lot of good info on r3v. Be sure to check out the convertible forum. I would also recommend my vert build thread.. done quite a bit of work on my vert - also a 7/90 build
    I BUY/SELL REFURBISHED CM5907s & CM5908s

HOWTOs:
    DB vert plastic bumpers
    OEM Keys
    MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
    91 ic Calypso 3.1
    86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

reelizmpro: I will always be an e30 guy.. I still do all of my own labor
    TrentW: There's just something so right about a well-built M20 in an E30
    e30m3s54turbo: I save my money for tuner parts.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!
      Looks like a nice E30 you have there. After some fiddling they can be very reliable cars.

I didn't see the fuel lines & hoses mentioned anywhere.
      The main items of concern are the soft fuel lines which deteriorate over time and exposure to fuel. Modern gas with ethanol is even worse on these components. Gates makes good quality replacement hose.

There are also the main hard lines that run front-to-rear. These may be a concern if there is road salt/rust in your area.
      I replaced all three hardlines with OEM (pre-bent) replacements on my car.

Obviously any fuel leaks can spell disaster in the form of fire. I would recommend an on-board fire extinguisher as well. Element makes some solid-state extinguishers offering significantly more power then traditional units. They are small enough for under-seat or glovebox mounting.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome, I have started reading through the convertible forum, thought it looked like there was more action here in 'general' so posted my HI here.
        bradnic Its going to take a little while to get through the 45 pages of your project build!

Panici I would like to drive it about an hour to a friends for the holiday weekend but don't have the confidence with the fuel pump! I will get there eventually. Will add inspecting the fuel hoses to the to do list. The fuel lines are hopefully in good condition, There is no rust on the car and I believe it has been minimally, if at all, driven in salty conditions. The Element extinguishers look nice, will add to my wish list!

Comment

Panici is 100% correct. Replace the engine bay fuel hoses asap if they are still the original ones. You *absolutely* will get fuel leaks with those hoses if they are original. If you know the timing belt was done last 5 years you’re ok there, otherwise timing belt and water pump are must do as well

HOWTOs:
          DB vert plastic bumpers
          OEM Keys
          MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
          91 ic Calypso 3.1
          86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

bradnic Last documented replacement of the timing belt is in January 2008 at 81,000 miles, current mileage is about 100k but it has been 15 years. Does it still need to be replaced? Is the maxim every 5 years or XX miles? If it should be replaced, do I still need to replace the the water pump at the same time?
            I know on my Volvo its every 50k.

Jerome

Comment

Welcome. Yeah I would go through everything that has not been replace in the last couple of years. Either service it or replace it if needed. And the main thing is to drive it and enjoy it.

88' Seta 2.7i Zinno

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...430-my-88-seta

Comment

CJerome with timing belt it’s miles or time. I’ve always heard 5-6 years tops in a belt regardless of miles because the belt will start to harden and crack with age.

while you’re servicing the belt the water pump is easy to access. Replace all the drive belts while you’re up to all this. Flush the brakes, coolant. Trans and diff oil is also something to consider. Make sure your brakes and pads are in order. Lastly there’s the front strut cartridges and rear shocks, bushings.

Rest of your list is fine. Like any used car, get a good baseline in terms of maintenance and enjoy.

HOWTOs:
                DB vert plastic bumpers
                OEM Keys
                MTech1 docs

88 ix Lach/Card
                91 ic Calypso 3.1
                86 Cosmo 2.7

OEM+ or bust!

Comment

Ordered a load of parts from FCP last weekend with their Labor Day sale. Annoyingly it seems as though many other people did so my order still has not shipped! One item, the new fuel pump was drop shipped and I already installed it. No more whine, when I was in there I noticed a fair amount of sediment in the tank. The car had been sitting with a full tank for about 4 years with little use before I bought it. Trusted mechanic who did my inspection said the gas was bad. I siphoned a jar out to see it and pickup some of the sediment and it looked and smelled pretty bad. Have been looking for an outlet to dispose of the fuel with little luck(called local counties, fire departments and transfer stations), until my neighbor said I could siphon it out and fuel up this crappy old bus he has, jackpot! Plan to pull the fuel sender and siphon it this week when I have time. Then I will re fill with 91 non ethanol and replace the filter when my FCP order arrives sometime this week. See sediment below.
                  IMG_7311

Great convertible weather here this weekend, with my new fuel pump I was confident enough to take the family further than around the block for a twenty minute drive to an event on Saturday. Well... getting in the car to leave the event, I smelled gas, found the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator broke and to boot the FPR failed and was pissing gas which made for a quick ride home. New one on order. Had some vacuum line from my vespa that was similar size and bandaid for now while its parked.

Questions:
                  Will the fuel from the driver side just flow into the passenger side as I siphon?
                  Fuel pressure regulator install looks straight forward, two bolts. Do you just remove them, then pull it off? Any tips?
                  Anyone have experience or hear good bad about HPSI silicon vacuum hose kit? Read some online reviews from BMWs and others and people seem to like them along with the included directions.
                  There are a few door dings on the passenger side, visited local body shop, said he has a guy who visits periodically to do the paint-less dent removal work, quoted about 225. Thoughts?

As Panici said, I am optimistic once I work though these deferred maintenance items the car will be reliable and we can enjoy driving it around town and further afield without my constant anxiety of 'whats next?!'.

Comment

Working...
                  X