AKG Shifter Install Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AKG Shifter Install Question

Installing my new to me AKG stage 2 and have some install questions. My car is an early car, 85, and according to AKG you need to punch out three rectangular holes. Fun fact, my car has the upper two but has a stud at the lower hole to hold the center console down with that little plastic nut. Now I have a couple of questions about my options here.

I’m assuming the correct way to handle this is to cut the stud out and drill a hole. I’m wondering if anyone just threw a nut on here and sent it? I understand this isn’t a load bearing stud, but yolo? I do happen to have a nylon spacer that fits the hole perfect to prevent play. Car will mostly be street driven so as long as I don’t pretend to Dom Torretto shift this beezy I’m thinking it might survive?

Also…. Where exactly is everyone routing their reverse light harness without smashing it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	AKG.png
Views:	111
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	10079284
    1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
    You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Yeah, just throw the spacer on it to fill the gap and it should be fine assuming there are enough thread left for a nut to secure it all. The other 2 bolts will help keep the unit in place as well so I don't see it being a problem.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

If you take that stud and bend it back and forth it'll make a hole in the sheet metal most likely. From there you can drill to whatever. I have 2 nutcerts upfront and had to weld nut the rear when it stripped.

I'm twin cam so the reverse wiring is in the harness. That shifter leaves gaps I believe on each side, maybe enough squish to allow wiring to slide by.

My center console is slotted in the rear and sandwich's between the shifter and chassis.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
      @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Originally posted by moatilliatta View Post
        If you take that stud and bend it back and forth it'll make a hole in the sheet metal most likely. From there you can drill to whatever. I have 2 nutcerts upfront and had to weld nut the rear when it stripped.

I'm twin cam so the reverse wiring is in the harness. That shifter leaves gaps I believe on each side, maybe enough squish to allow wiring to slide by.

My center console is slotted in the rear and sandwich's between the shifter and chassis.
        That's what I was thinking concerning the wiring. Currently mid 24v swap so I haven't gotten to the harness yet.

I'm tempted to send it as is and if that stud lets go, just drill it and bolt it proper.
        1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
        You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

For the harness I'd try to find a grommet that fits the reverse harness, and drill the trans tunnel or shifter depending on how thick the grommet is
          Originally posted by priapism
          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
          Originally posted by shameson
          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Working...
          X