Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

m30 afm + 19lb injectors =afpr needed???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also wouldn't do this without time on a dyno with A/F printouts to look over. You're may still gain some power/throttle response, but there is a slim chance your car is tuned optimally at all. Proper tuning is always in order when it comes to modifying things like fuel components:

Just because it works and some random guy on the internet claims he feels more power doesn't mean anything in the real world. I think many of us who have been around for a while have learned that the hard way.

Seriously, everyone who just said the setup "works", pull out a dyno graph showing that it "works". Just because the engine runs and you feel you gained power doesn't equate to success.

Comment

And for people that refer to Dave Adam's dyno charts to show the gains these mods make... notice how off his A/F was at first, and all the tuning he had to do with his AFPR before the A/F was stoich.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Bonus point for TJ.

Also guys, once you throw any aftermarket software into the equation, you've just placed another variable into your final tuning. These things all work in unison, study what you're doing (in theory, not search BMW forums) before listening to forum chit-chatter.

Comment

who seriously gives that much of a crap? maybe if we're talking FI....yeah of course.

but for a fraction of a HP or two on a old e30. buh. I'll hop on the dyno just to see as last time i was way rich but i'll blame that on the AFM wheel being off.

Comment

I never said I gained power. ;)
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

A/F ratios are vital to an engine's health and longevity. I don't care if its only for 5-10hp, I am not willing to sacrifice my motor for that little bit of throttle response or whatever you guys like about the mod. That being said, I plan to do these things sometime soon, but I will tune it properly.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

well if the A/F changed so drastically as to reduce the engine's longevity/performance, don't you think I would have noticed a difference in fuel economy (ie, too rich = worse fuel economy, too lean = better fuel economy)? because I didn't.

I did the swap because these injectors were $50 to my door with 1/7th the mileage of my stock injectors. seemed like a pretty easy decision to me..
                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando
                  well if the A/F changed so drastically as to reduce the engine's longevity/performance, don't you think I would have noticed a difference in fuel economy (ie, too rich = worse fuel economy, too lean = better fuel economy)? because I didn't.

I did the swap because these injectors were $50 to my door with 1/7th the mileage of my stock injectors. seemed like a pretty easy decision to me..
                  cept mine were 65. i didn't say dont dyno tune the car tho... i plan to do so some time soon, its just not somthing that needs to be done this instant so im going to wait till it suites me. on that note does anyone know of a good place to go in the lower mainland?

Comment

I'm pretty sure people spending 50-60 bucks shipped for injectors arn't going to be rushing to the dyno's to see if they can fine tune their a/f for that extra 2hp, if that.

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain."
                    R.I.P. Harry Goz aka. Captain Murphy
                    "My ride, My ride, she don't beg, steal, cheat, or lie,
                    My ride, My ride, and our relationship is classified."

Comment

I just bought S50 Injectors, 6, for $50. Paired with an M30 AFM and my budget stroker - it should be nice :)

I'll get to a dyno eventually.
                      - Sean Hayes

Comment

i put mine on my new 3.0L engine, runs rough at idle... kinda a reving thing
                        rrr rrr rrr rrr
                        best i could do typing

a little teflon tape and some extra hose clamps helped a little
                        anything else i should check for-- more symptoms in my post in the m20 stroker forum

dynoing it soon ill let you all know
                        Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                        Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

you sure it's not a lopey idle from your cam?
                          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

yeah i get the idle too, iv got pretty damn big cams in the M42 and it has a "rough" idle, i like it, sounds kinda throaty for a 4 banger, deepest sounding one iv heard if i do say so myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Digitalwave
                              And for people that refer to Dave Adam's dyno charts to show the gains these mods make... notice how off his A/F was at first, and all the tuning he had to do with his AFPR before the A/F was stoich.
                              Originally posted by Mystikal
                              Just because it works and some random guy on the internet claims he feels more power doesn't mean anything in the real world.
                              Jesus, about fucking time. Anyone on here that truly believes that you can throw injectors larger than stock along with a larger than stock AFM, both from completely different cars than your own (one not even a BMW sometimes) and think it's going to run optimally on the archaic stock ECU is out of their monkey-fucking minds. Will you see gains? Maybe. Will you be able to drive the car? Probably. But will you be running optimally? I can't possibly see how. It's not about tuning it to get 2 fucking horses out of a stupid mod like this. It's about tuning your car to run properly to reflect the changes to intake and fuel delivery you just threw at it. And like they said - go look at the dyno sheets before and after tuning on Dave's site - unless you can do the same without tuning, you've got no argument.

Originally posted by cahomey
                              I'm pretty sure people spending 50-60 bucks shipped for injectors arn't going to be rushing to the dyno's to see if they can fine tune their a/f
                              That's the problem. You get great deals on parts and you're so fucking excited to get them in there, you don't take the time to do it right. And you're right, the majority of the board seems to have this mentality - get it on there, worry about making it work properly or add the necessary accompanying mods later. Why not do it right the first time instead?

EDIT: I sound pissed because I am. There are lots of people who rely on this board alone for information (and shouldn't, sometimes), and if you shoot your damn mouths off in unison that tuning isn't necessary for a mod like this, they're gonna go and try it. It's ok to voice your opinion (i.e. I did it without the upgraded or adjustable FPR and I've noticed gains) instead of demanding your word as gospel (i.e. Are you fucking stupid? You don't need to add an FPR, that's a waste)

This board has enough misinformation. We don't need more.

Comment

Ok so can someone answer then how much is a dyno and how the fuck do you 'tune' your Bosch Motronic 1.3

I'm waiting on a M30 AFM, #19 injectors, and K&N and I thought the ECU would just relearn its shit, I have a MarkD chip too...

Comment

Working...
                                X