fuel filler neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuel filler neck

while getting gas the attendant told me he thinks i have a leak in my filler neck. i was in the store at the time so maybe he just spilt some. if the neck is ruptured, what is the replacement process? will i have to drop the tank? can't find this fix in the bently.
    sigpic

It's a separate piece from the tank, and there is a hose attaching it to the bottom of the the tank. Mine hose cracked and leaked. Check there.
    Originally posted by codyep3
    I hope to Christ you have looks going for you, because you sure as fuck don't have any intelligence.
    2001 silver/Blk 325 cabby. SOLD
    1988 Blk/Blk e30 factory wide body kit car SOLD
    1992 DS/BLK 325 m-tech II apperance pack cabby SOLD!
    2002 325xit Sil/blk. SOLD
    2012 328i xdrive touring. Wht/blk. SOLD
    2009 135 cabby. monacoblue/blk leather SOLD
    2007 Z4m coupe. Silver grey/black/ aluminum. 1of50
    2010 F650gs twin
    2016 M235i cabby. Mineral grey/Red leather

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Black 88 View Post
      It's a separate piece from the tank, and there is a hose attaching it to the bottom of the the tank. Mine hose cracked and leaked. Check there.
      but if it is cracked, will i have to drop the tank? can't check it now, it's close to 0 outside.
      sigpic

Comment

Shouldn't have to drop the tank. Kind of annoying place to work though.

Comment

Originally posted by long tall eta View Post
          but if it is cracked, will i have to drop the tank? can't check it now, it's close to 0 outside.
          no
          2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
          (Daily Driver)
          Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
          KW V2 Coilovers
          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Why exactly does he think you have a leaky filler neck? Was fuel spilling onto the ground? Because that could be caused by a couple things.

Comment

Originally posted by rturbo 930 View Post
              Why exactly does he think you have a leaky filler neck? Was fuel spilling onto the ground? Because that could be caused by a couple things.
              yes, there was a small amount of fuel spilled on the ground. tank is presently full and not leaking so i'm sure it's not the tank itself. what else could it be. loose clamp?
              sigpic

Comment

Well, when I first got my car, on the trip home I had to fill up, and once it was full, fuel just started spilling onto the ground. I think it was an O ring or gasket on top of the tank for once of those access lids. I don't remember exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by long tall eta View Post
                  yes, there was a small amount of fuel spilled on the ground. tank is presently full and not leaking so i'm sure it's not the tank itself. what else could it be. loose clamp?
                  ...it's entirely possible the guy could be a moron.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                    ...it's entirely possible the guy could be a moron.
                    this ^

If the back pressure setting on the pump is not set correctly if can overfill your tank which will spill fuel through the rubber collar at the filler opening.

The filler neck itself is steel but if you truly have a leak and its not the tank, its likely to be the hose that connects the neck to the tank. I changed mine when I had my subframe out cause it was easy (and cheap). Im not sure about changing it with the SF in place but I suspect its somewhere between a root canal and cutting your arm off
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

It's also quite possible that the metal y- pipe up there has rusted out.
                      They don't seem to be rust- proofed, and Jersey seems to rust everything.

You have to pull the right rear wheel and the cover that's over the return and vapor
                      pipes, but then you can see almost everything.

t
                      now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                      X