Heater is only pushing kinda warm air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heater is only pushing kinda warm air

Hey guys, my ladies e30 doesn't push heat. Thinking it was a stuck heater valve I replaced that($$$) and no improvement. I'm fully bleed as far as I can tell.
    The car use to blast heat last winter but it did have an m10 at the time, now m20 powered, is it true that hoses could get mixed around? Cause if I touch the heater core it is hot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    WTB:m60b40 in PNW
    Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
    92 525it 5 speed.
    80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Are you saying that the heater core temp is the same at both the inlet and outlet or is it just at the inlet? Is it hot at the inlet?
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. -Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah it does matter which hose goes where. Find a diagram and check to see if it looks right

I have to turn my temp dial all the way hot to get heat. If you haven't done that, try it.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Are you sure you bled it properly?
        You should prime the heater core with coolant, and the hose from the back of the head goes to the top heater core line. Then rebleed the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearmw View Post
          Are you saying that the heater core temp is the same at both the inlet and outlet or is it just at the inlet? Is it hot at the inlet?
          Yep, both the upper and the lower pipes are to hot to touch, and the part of the heater that is exposed with the center console out it hot.
          Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
          92 525it 5 speed.
          80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
            Yeah it does matter which hose goes where. Find a diagram and check to see if it looks right

I have to turn my temp dial all the way hot to get heat. If you haven't done that, try it.

ill double check those hoses then, i usually keep the dial all the way to heat so it should be open
            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
            92 525it 5 speed.
            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Originally posted by efficient View Post
              Are you sure you bled it properly?
              You should prime the heater core with coolant, and the hose from the back of the head goes to the top heater core line. Then rebleed the system.
              Ill try popping off the hoses and pouring coolant directly in to the lower and let air escape though the top, but the car doesnt show any signs of not being bled (doesnt over heat, heater is hot to the touch
              Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
              92 525it 5 speed.
              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Where is the temp needle in the temp gauge? If it is in the low side, your thermostats might have stuck open.
                Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

Originally posted by mr.vang View Post
                  Where is the temp needle in the temp gauge? If it is in the low side, your thermostats might have stuck open.
                  it does have a hell of a time getting to operating temp, usally hangs around 1/4 if driving
                  Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                  92 525it 5 speed.
                  80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Are you sure your blend door is moving when you turn the temp dial ?
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

Originally posted by FireFight View Post
                      it does have a hell of a time getting to operating temp, usally hangs around 1/4 if driving
                      Maybe your thermostat is broken.
                      AWD > RWD

Comment

^ +1 check your t-stat. It should get above the blue in 5 mins or less. It may even be something stupid like the t-stat gasket is installed on the wrong side of the t-stat

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

I would guess that you have air in the system because your heater core hoses are on backwards. It 100% DOES matter which way you put the hoses on since the inlet/outlet ports for the heater core are stacked vertically in the engine bay. So you need the hot coolant to go into the bottom port so it can push the air out the top as the coolant circulates. If you go the other way around you are trying to push air down through your heater core and fighting the air trying to rise. This will let a trickle of coolant go through (enough to warm the hoses), but not enough to actually heat. It may also give you overheating problems.

Here's a realoem diagram with coolant flow depicted. The Inlet (17) goes into the bottom, the Return (18) comes out the top.

sigpic
                          1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                          1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                          1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

My top hose that goes to the heater valve goes to the thermostat housing and the lower to the block. So those should be right.

I swapped out my thermostat for a factory one and I have a little more heat but it still won't go to OPT temp. The fan seems to be free spinning so I don't think its a froze fan clutch. It has no shroud or AC condencer so idk if those would have any play
                            Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                            92 525it 5 speed.
                            80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Now the car is totally cold I found I can't stop the fan so I think the fan clutch isn't letting loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Zachary Ripley

85 318i M50B25tu.
                              92 525it 5 speed.
                              80 244gl (m60 prepping).

Comment

Working...
                              X