Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'91 318is - should I replace the steering u joint assembly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cory58 View Post

I replaced all the wear items on the coupler except for the u-joints. They were still fine. Here is my parts list.

1 - rubber disc
    4 - bolts
    4 - washers
    4 - nuts
    1- plastic bushing (see posts #33-34 above)

Cory
    Are the bolts special? Can they be replaced by stainless-steel ones?
    I saw some older couplers with rusted bolts and nuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Vincenze View Post

Are the bolts special? Can they be replaced by stainless-steel ones?
      I saw some older couplers with rusted bolts and nuts.
      I don't think they are standard bolts. The washers will slide on the threaded end but will not slide all the way to the head. That told me the shoulder part of the bolt is wider to fit snug into the coupler.
      1992 325i Cabrio
      1988 320i Touring
      2000 M5
      1977 530i
      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
      BMWCCA
      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post
        Ok. I will need to check my ujoints as well, and hope they dont need to be replaced, as least not yet. What rubber disc did you go with, I know IE had urethane, everyone else has harder materials from delrin to aluminum or using the racing couplers and remove this full part. I will get the plastic bushing for sure. Just wondering if you used the rubber one from a non-airbag part, which I have the PN for. but I read it might be a different size so want to make sure.

Thanks Cory.
        The rubber one available from BMW is the exact same one they used on the non-serviceable couplers. My suspension is stock, so there was no question that I would use the rubber disk.

1992 325i Cabrio
        1988 320i Touring
        2000 M5
        1977 530i
        BMWCCA
        E30CCA

Comment

NOTE: My original parts list in post #44 was incorrect. It should have included 8 washers. I have corrected it.
          1992 325i Cabrio
          1988 320i Touring
          2000 M5
          1977 530i
          BMWCCA
          E30CCA

Comment

NOTE: My original parts list in post #44 was incorrect. It should have included 8 washers. I have corrected it.
            bolts, washers, nuts all from BMW?

I complied a parts list with BMW PNs. If you can confirm this, then this thread will help all airbag cars in the future.

1 - rubber disc. - 32311153993 (other non BMW manufacturer available for less $)
            4 - bolts 32311153995
            8 - washers 07119904115
            4 - nuts 07129922716
            1- plastic bushing 32311114508

If the above is correct, I just need to decide on rubber vs urethane (IE). I don't want anything harder. My suspension is modified but not a track or autox car.
            Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
            BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Originally posted by monty23psk View Post

bolts, washers, nuts all from BMW?

I complied a parts list with BMW PNs. If you can confirm this, then this thread will help all airbag cars in the future.

1 - rubber disc. - 32311153993 (other non BMW manufacturer available for less $)
              4 - bolts 32311153995
              8 - washers 07119904115
              4 - nuts 07129922716
              1- plastic bushing 32311114508

If the above is correct, I just need to decide on rubber vs urethane (IE). I don't want anything harder. My suspension is modified but not a track or autox car.
              All parts from BMW. I will pull out the receipt and confirm the numbers. Busy week. May take a few days.

1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

All parts from BMW. I will pull out the receipt and confirm the numbers. Busy week. May take a few days.
                Thanks and no rush. I did place an order for all of this for now.
                Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
                BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

Most likely you guys would never need to replace those u-joints, they are sturdy and 95% of any play is due to that small plastic bushing or the flex disc.

If you have the shaft version, where the flex disc is riveted in, you can grind them off (i did that on my OE shaft), the used shaft i picked up came with the bolts and nuts. The manual does not indicate, if those bolts, nuts (self locking but non nylon) and washers need to be replaced or not, but i replaced them, since removing and installing that steering shaft is always a freaking headache for me.

Do not worry about rounding/grinding the female teeth on the ends of the shaft. The whole shaft is made from cast aluminium and is super soft, both the rack male teeth and the steering column teeth are steel, you can pick up a jewellers file kit for €10 or so on Amazon and file those soft teeth back to nice and sharp. This is what i picked up and two of those files fit perfectly to fix any issues:

Click image for larger version

Name:	61mGcWk%2BqNL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	9981496

Comment

Working...
                  X