Do I need new calipers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do I need new calipers?

While replacing the brakes and rotors I came across calipers that look like these (see pics) and that's actually after brushing them off..

What do you guys suggest?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why dont you do a rebuild on them? Or clean them up and paint them? I rebuilt the back ones on mine. It wasn't too hard, but I haven't done the front yet. I have the girling calipers too.
    A few others will come along shortly and offer their advice too I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jamie325 View Post
      Why dont you do a rebuild on them? Or clean them up and paint them? I rebuilt the back ones on mine. It wasn't too hard, but I haven't done the front yet. I have the girling calipers too.
      A few others will come along shortly and offer their advice too I'm sure.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
      Thanks for the advice.. I watched a full restore on youtube the other day and it was beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBu9K4YNT3o

That's way too involved for me.. I did also read on another thread something about rebuilding the piston for under 20 bucks.. If I can do that, remove more rust and just spray it with some nice paint I might be in..

Comment

^ The restore it guy goes a little overboard at times lol. You can do a similar job with way less effort.

However, I wouldnt cheap out on rebuilding the bits that stop your car. It's a pretty easy job to do, just take your time-there are plenty of sources on rebuilding brakes out there. I think the first thing I did as a car project was rebuilding calipers. Kits are cheap. Wire wheel/media blast the caliper bodies if you can, just make sure not to touch the cylinder bores.

If you'd rather spend the dough you can also just buy remanned calipers.
        1984 Delphin 318i 2 door

Comment

i just rebuilt and painted mine.

if you don't have a bead blaster that's fine.
          The piston o ring and cover is like $20.
          Get a wire wheel on a drill and clean up where the pads slide. done.

Rebuild your brakes by jet jones, on Flickr
          Last edited by LowR3V'in; 09-24-2018, 08:02 PM.

Comment

Cleaning and resealing them is all you need to do.

A bike pump is an adequate air source to get them apart.

As long as the pistons and bores aren't rusted or damaged, they can
            be resealed repeatedly.

Many 'remans' are junk.

things I've found,
            t
            now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
              Many 'remans' are junk.

+1. Bought a pair of front ATE remans from a well known online parts shop. After a year or so they started to bind. The new rotors I installed with them looked like they'd done 3 rounds with Freddy Krueger. Threw it all out and went with a BBK. OP, if you can get the calipers media blasted, powder coated and rebuilt using the relatively cheap seal rebuild kit, they may come up good.

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                Cleaning and resealing them is all you need to do.

A bike pump is an adequate air source to get them apart.

As long as the pistons and bores aren't rusted or damaged, they can
                be resealed repeatedly.

Many 'remans' are junk.

things I've found,
                t
                there is a shop near me that re-sleaves calipers and machines new pistons.
                from shiny stainless steel. I've had it done a few times over the years. the calipers are what i would consider better than brand new!'and reasonably cheap for what it is (maybe $250 aud per pair last time i had it done.

Comment

None of the parts that actually matter are visible in your pictures - what's important is that the part underneath the rubber boot and the opening it slides into are smooth, same with the carriers. The rest is cosmetic only.

Comment

How did your pads wear?

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
                    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

Working...
                    X