Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many people here don't have a running car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many people here don't have a running car?

I think I started to forget how it feels to drive my E30...pretty sad. The thing is sitting in the garage, completely gutted for two years now. Stroker is 100% built, body is 99.9% finished minus the paint, suspension is all new and ready to be put together, lots of $$$ later and the shit load of new part, it still doesn't run. Pretty sad. TI actually have so many new parts, I had to catalog them all as I started to forget what I have a reordered a few here and there, idiot. Today sucked the most....was taking the door off the car and put the door hinge through the headlight of my motorcycle while carrying the damn thing on the side of the garage. WTF??? Put the order for new headlight but was pissed....
    One day...What was a simple head rebuilt turned into the whole damn restoration

:coolphoto:

Time flies when you not having fun, Sumthing like that neh
    It's going a year, fix something break something, change of plans upgrade something.
    The more it stands the more money it takes.
    Plenty e30 around me to drive but my car is my car, nothing is the same.

Comment

My E30 is one of the few cars I have that does, in fact, drive. Amazing. It's spent plenty of time broken or immobile though. Two spun bearings will do that. I've put maybe 15k on it since I brought it home, 7 years ago this month. Still doesn't idle right, lol. Maybe I'll figure out what's wrong someday.

Comment

I've always made it a priority that all my cars are on the road and driveable as much as possible. My cars have never been the most modified or the shiniest but i drive them everywhere and all the time. Cars are meant to be driven not sat in a garage:)

Comment

Too true - have racked up 150,000km in mine over 10 years. Will sit a bit now though seeing as I just picked up the new daily.

Might be convinced to sell it in time if it sits around too much.
          My e30: OEM+ with M30B35

Comment

Driving an E30 is an addiction. The more you drive the more you want to make the car better so you'll spend more money and pretty soon the car would sit in the garage waiting for upgrades. This is why I bought a convertible. Great engine, great gear box, still acceptable handling if I don't go crazy, and no urge for turbo or any other upgrades to go faster.

Comment

I did get it as a project car but not a full restore. Car was in a descent shape for 28 year old NY car, garage kept, low miles etc. Typical oil leaks everywhere, typical worn out valve train from running crap oil, shot original suspension, dried out/broken electrical connectors etc.
              Was gong to rebuilt the head, swap to the manual and just have fun with it. Pulled the head and sent it to the machine shop. It took awhile to get the head back so I got tired just looking at the car and pulled the block for a stroker. While both were at the machine shop, started to work on the suspension and found a few rust spots here an there. One rust spot was under the carpet so the interior got gutted. Was ready to drop fresh motor/suspension in but it felt wrong to bolt all these clean parts to the gunked up undercarriage. Cleaned oil/gunk covered undercarriage (didn't even know it was OEM beige color under there), wire wheeled all rust spots, epoxy primed, spot repaired body schutz, matched everything to OEM beige. That's where it sits currently. I'm a few days away from starting to bolt everything back together (finally) and redoing the harness. I feel like this project gives me OCD for some reason. Jordan's restoration threads do no help with cutting a few corners here and there too :D
              Last edited by zaq123; 10-09-2018, 08:19 AM.

Comment

The race car runs just fine.
                The street car is still waiting for an engine...

t
                now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Originally posted by dnguyen1963 View Post
                  Driving an e30 is an addiction. The more you drive it, the more you want to make the car a better driving experience. You'll spend more & more money and pretty soon the car will sit in the garage waiting for modifications, maintenance or upgrades. This is the true definition of *e30 lifestyle*
                  ftfy ;)
                  @IRON-E30 aka Edwin:D

Comment

Originally posted by TobyB View Post
                    The race car runs just fine.
                    The street car is still waiting for an engine...

t
                    You are living the dream man.

As for me, the race car runs, and so does the former daily, but they're M42s, so it's too easy. The M20 car is inop, as it should be, but it was free.

Comment

Originally posted by zaq123 View Post
                      I did get it as a project car but not a full restore. Car was in a descent shape for 28 year old NY car, garage kept, low miles etc. Typical oil leaks everywhere, typical worn out valve train from running crap oil, shot original suspension, dried out/broken electrical connectors etc.
                      Was gong to rebuilt the head, swap to the manual and just have fun with it. Pulled the head and sent it to the machine shop. It took awhile to get the head back so I got tired just looking at the car and pulled the block for a stroker. While both were at the machine shop, started to work on the suspension and found a few rust spots here an there. One rust spot was under the carpet so the interior got gutted. Was ready to drop fresh motor/suspension in but it felt wrong to bolt all these clean parts to the gunked up undercarriage. Cleaned oil/gunk covered undercarriage (didn't even know it was OEM beige color under there), wire wheeled all rust spots, epoxy primed, spot repaired body schutz, matched everything to OEM beige. That's where it sits currently. I'm a few days away from starting to bolt everything back together (finally) and redoing the harness. I feel like this project gives me OCD for some reason. Jordan's restoration threads do no help with cutting a few corners here and there too :D
                      Rule number 1 of cars: Always finish one part of the project before starting another.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                        Rule number 1 of cars: Always finish one part of the project before starting another.

Haha. That rule works well when working on the house (one room at a time) no so much with the car restoration IMHO. Would be a lot of redundancies as far as labor and some materials go. Do it once do it right is my approach. The problem with my game was that I had no game plan when I started this. Should have decided what exactly and how far I want to take this built from the get-go and stick to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X