Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

headlight issues- turn on brights and get no brights and one low beam shuts off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

headlight issues- turn on brights and get no brights and one low beam shuts off.

I am not sure what the heck is wrong with this thing, but the low beams are fine, switch to high beams and only the right low beam stays on. All other lights are off. Any ideas? Thanks.

Sealed beams? If so, the one lowbeam goes out because it's a two filament bulb with the "high" filament burned out.

Highbeams could be burned out, fuse dead, or otherwise check the plug with a multimeter to see if you get power there
    Originally posted by priapism
    My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
    Originally posted by shameson
    Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

If one of your filaments are dust and you need a new set of headlights, I have a clean set of ellipsoids I can sell you for cheap

Comment

I thought that when you put the brights on, all 4 sealed beams go on. Instead, turn the highs on and not only do the inside high beams stay off, but one low beam goes out. Does that help pinpoint? Thanks.

Comment

Check fuses, Check 12v at your head light connectors.

Id check the ground also at head light connector. Probably just bad bulbs.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
          @Zakspeed_US

Comment

If you've got an '87 it originally came with sealed beam headlamps. The outer bulbs have two filaments ... one for low beam and one for high beam. The inner bulbs just have one filament for the high beam.

If the car has been upgraded to ellipsoids from a later model car or to euro headlights, there is just one filament in each of the four bulbs.

The wiring on the '87 does not support ellipsoids or euro headlights without some modification. We put a set of ellipsoids on our '87 es and had to do some creative wiring with diodes to get the low beams to stay on when the high beams were switched on.

The E30 collection:
            1987 325es M52 - Schwarz / Taurus Red Sport (son #2's)
            1987 325is - Delphin / Black Sport (son #3's)
            1987 325i Convertible - Triple Black
            1989 325iX Coupe - Diamondschwarz / Black Comfort
            1990 325iX Coupe - Sterling Silver / Grey Sport

1981 Fiat 124 Spider 2000 - Green / Tan
            1998 Volvo V70 GLT - White / Tan
            1998 Volvo S70 T5 manual - White / Taupe
            2001 Ford Windstar - Silver / Grey (parts hauler)
            2006 Lexus GX470 - White / Tan (tow rig)

Comment

Working...
            X