Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spectra brand in-tank fuel transfer pump 84-87 cars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spectra brand in-tank fuel transfer pump 84-87 cars?

Has anyone used the Spectra brand fuel transfer pump for 84-87 build cars? They VDO appears to be NLA. Here is the link of the part:

We run a race car and use an early spectra lift pump on both sides to a swirl pot. They seem to be working ok. The rubber material that mates the pump to the mast seems cheap but working ok. Not a whole lot of time on them, but seems ok.

Also have one in my street car on the driver side to feed passenger side main pump. Still only been in there for a few years and gets driven rarely.

Id say quality is above normal for cheap aftermarket.

I was up above it, Now I'm down in it ~ Entropy - A Build thread.
    @Zakspeed_US

Comment

The OEM VDO pump is not NLA, but it is a piece of shit and costs about $300. Part number 16141179415.

I had enough of the OEM pumps and aftermarket pumps dying over the past 20 years, so I did the m42 single pump conversion. You could buy a new or used OEM 318i pump, and use it as-is, or drop in a new $75 Walbro into the housing. Then you can delete the external pump and run some new fuel line, and never worry about your fuel system again.
      85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
      e30 restoration and V8 swap
      24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

Ok thanks for the input on the Spectra pumps. I would agree the VDO pumps are terrible. I didn't know you can still purchase them. But for $300 that is way to much. Does the early fuel level sender work with the 318i pump? Or does that have to be modified?

Comment

You would swap the whole m42 sender assembly in. The difference between the two is the output hose is the standard 8mm, instead of 12mm, so you'd have to replace the hose across the tank. But then you just connect that right to your hard line under the car, and that's it, no more fuel issues.
          85 325e m60b44 6 speed / 89 535i
          e30 restoration and V8 swap
          24 Hours of Lemons e30 build

Comment

I think I am going to try that later on. Already ordered the Spectra transfer pump from Summit Racing. I am surprised my main fuel pump in not making any noise since my transfer pump is not working.

Comment

I have both the Spectra pump and Spectra tank. I could’t install the pump with the provided O ring. Needed an OEM O ring which is a little more pliable.

Comment

Sorry to hijack. Would a 3.5 bar pump work as a transfer to main pump or is it too high? I’ve already purchased it

Comment

I used the factory o-ring for the Spectra transfer pump and had to use oil filter pliers on the notches to actually tighten it. It was that hard to get on.

Comment

Working...
                  X