ugly welds but robust construction, (tubing almost twice as thick as IE reproduction), 409 stainless (which can rust unless coated). All weld joints ale overlapped
Racing Dynamics Ireland Engineering repro headers purchase issues/feedback..
Collapse
X
-
Just to compare to Federico's Racing Dynamic headers:
ugly welds but robust construction, (tubing almost twice as thick as IE reproduction), 409 stainless (which can rust unless coated). All weld joints ale overlapped
-
That sucks man. It’s a shame they don’t see anything wrong with that, either.
For your sake I’m hoping it doesn’t cost $70 to ship out- for heavily discounted rates use BikeFlights for UPS or PirateShip for USPS.Leave a comment:
-
Provided these pictures to IE in the attempt to possibly help to address the manufacturing issue and correct their process....little did I know My communication with Andrew Athorum of Ireland Engineering: Me: Andrew, I received my order today. Thank you. However there is a problem: Your description of headers states the following: "They come with stainless steel V-band clamps and additional weld on flanges.” Both V bands and flanges are missing from this shipment. (2 v bands and 2 flanges are missing). Please advise. Me: Andrew, To add to my previous email with missing parts…after further inspection, the following was discovered: I ran my borescope to inspect welds and found that you welder failed to properly back purge the tubing (a lot of weld are sugared). Also it looks like TIG settings weren’t properly selected which resulted in poor joint penetration (see attached pictures). I recommend to discuss it with your manufacturer and improve the quality control. In the mean time, can you please email me a return label so I can ship these headers back promptly? Thank you Response from Andrew: If you wish to return them that is fine but you will have to pay the return shipping yourself. Me: wish I don’t have to return them, obviously. Could we agree that they are defective and not properly welded and that you need to correct your manufacturing process or you believe this is normal and that’s how they are meant to be? Response from Andrew: We believe it to be normal. Headers are going back to IE come Monday. Looks like the whole ordeal will end up costing ~$70 for lost shipping .... A few of you asked me about my feedback on these.....Hope you find it helpful.Leave a comment:
-
Racing Dynamics Ireland Engineering repro headers purchase issues/feedback..
I purchased new headers from Ireland Engineering. https://www.iemotorsport.com/product...g-headers-m20/
Description clearly states the following: #1".....fabricated from 304 stainless steel using GTAW weld process and back-purged" and #2 "They come with stainless steel V-band clamps and additional weld on flanges. You will need to fabricate your own down-pipes."
#2 above: V band clamps or flanges were not included in the package, the reason why is still unknown
#1 above is being the major issue. I used my borescope to inspect those welds internally and found that they weren't back purged properly during welding, visible sugaring and weld penetration issues. Furthermore, some sections in the circumference of the joint are totally missing weld penetration.
Please refer to attached pictures and make your own concussions. If you aren't sure about back purging and how the weld should look internally, this video is a good example and shows the difference clearly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2T1diKBcYI
Last edited by zaq123; 04-26-2020, 11:36 AM.Tags: None

Leave a comment: