Racing Dynamics Ireland Engineering repro headers purchase issues/feedback..

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Dagamus(NM)
    replied
    Some things never change. IE and shit product quality, Jeff being a jackass about his shit products.

    Engine kits, big brake kits, exhaust headers and catbacks, ignition components, all complete shit. Over 20 years of this proves one thing. Advertising works.

    Though as Frank pointed out on a previous page, their sway bars are ok.

    At least you had a decent resolution on this zaq123

    Leave a comment:


  • zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by shoshottz
    did you ever install them? i bought mine in 2020 as well and they look identical to yours, id like to know if your still there thanks zaq123
    I returned them to IE so no, I never installed those.

    Leave a comment:


  • shoshottz
    replied
    did you ever install them? i bought mine in 2020 as well and they look identical to yours, id like to know if your still there thanks zaq123

    Leave a comment:


  • zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by digger
    $1000 seems alot for replica of replica headers, s54 guys can get Megan headers for much cheaper and those are proven to fit and work now they ironed the bugs out. Seems like a bit of a gap in market, albeit less volume
    haha. 1000 is a lot for a poor quality replica with some very questionable life span... that is for sure. I'm not familiar with Megan header quality but I hope they are back purging that stainless.


    https://soulpp.com/2019/09/17/tech-t...-what-and-why/

    Leave a comment:


  • digger
    replied
    $1000 seems alot for replica of replica headers, s54 guys can get Megan headers for much cheaper and those are proven to fit and work now they ironed the bugs out. Seems like a bit of a gap in market, albeit less volume

    Leave a comment:


  • e30m3s54turbo
    replied
    I have bought products they sell for more than 10 years. I never could complain about anything!!!!

    Leave a comment:


  • 82eye
    replied
    entirely not the same animal, but i got a set of IE long tube headers and was happy with the product. have not installed and will have a closer look now lol. they are not near as complicated nor have the pile of snakes welds though. the customer experience was pretty good too. i'm at a distance so appreciated that they wanted the order correct. fitment is gonna be another thing.

    the pics are the pics on those though.

    edit : i dropped about $1200 cdn on them with shipping.
    Last edited by 82eye; 02-08-2022, 07:26 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by skitzy777
    Thanks for this write up, I was considering purchasing these but decided against. Wanted to buy a lot of stuff from IE soon like piston rings, head gasket, just a bunch of stuff to rebuild my engine, but this has changed my mind on it. Seems as though they cannot be trusted.
    NP, just shared my experience. They have been around the block for awhile so I don't believe it's just a fly by company that takes your money and runs. For example I have their pistons that SkiFree pushed with MAHLE when he worked in IE and they are top notch (expected cuz made by MAHLE). I just think they cheaped out on those repro RD headers for some reason. what a shame, could be promising product.... I actually watched a dude who installed those recently. He complained about their fit and some flange leaks. Really curious how long they will hold up. My guess is under 30k miles or so until those welds would crack and develop some leaks
    Here is the vid
    Last edited by zaq123; 02-08-2022, 06:50 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • skitzy777
    replied
    Thanks for this write up, I was considering purchasing these but decided against. Wanted to buy a lot of stuff from IE soon like piston rings, head gasket, just a bunch of stuff to rebuild my engine, but this has changed my mind on it. Seems as though they cannot be trusted.

    Leave a comment:


  • zaq123
    replied
    Just looked at IE website again to see if anything changed with these headers. Well it looks like instead of improving their welding process, IE simply deleted the previous advertised line regarding their welding process. They no longer claim these headers are GTAW welded and back purged during welding. I wonder how many more people complaint about being duped. What a shame.....could be very nice product if they just used a skilled welder.
    Lukely I got my money back minus the shipping. They didn't want to reimburse the shipping since they refused to acknowledge the issue....looks like they finally did (is my shipping refund check in the mail?lol)

    Leave a comment:


  • fporro
    replied
    Oh Jeff will gruff alright, but he does come around.

    About 20 years ago I drove from Malibu to their shop in Duarte with their rear sway-bar held by zip ties so he could see the issue... "it would not clear frame rails" ...

    glad I did as they were still making them right there at their shop,

    Leave a comment:


  • TobyB
    replied
    That's what I'm saying- you can have a decent conversation with Jeff. He will be gruff at first, until he figures out you know what you're talking about.
    Then he'll listen, make it right, and there's a decent chance he'll improve his product. But you have to do it with him, on the phone.

    I suspect that, for the price, that's the level of workmanship you can get domestically. Stainless isn't cheap, the services of anyone who can weld
    isn't cheap (especially in California) and running a business isn't cheap. Not to excuse promising one thing and delivering another, but when you
    look at it from the expense side, those headers are 'pretty cheap'.

    I don't have experience with stainless under stress- because I don't trust it. But I do agree with you that leaving the weld sitting on top like that
    creates a huge stress raiser in a place that's already under welding stresses (I don't see any evidence of normalization).

    t
    still runs a set of secondhand shorty headers

    Leave a comment:


  • zaq123
    replied
    Originally posted by TobyB

    I thought that was a cutoff burr from cutting the tubing- either way, nothing I'd want left in there.

    I can get better penetration with a MIG, but pecker waving aside,

    this is not unusual historical Ireland quality. Jeff has
    his ups and downs like the rest of us, but also sells to a price.
    His 'suppliers' are also building things to a price.
    If you talk with him personally on the phone,
    you can usually sort it out.
    Since Jeremy left at least 10 years ago, he's the only one I deal with when anything
    goes even slightly sideways. Especially when you might get a furry camel on the phone.

    t
    It's all good besides being out of return shipping cost. I just amazed that IE is denying the issue....I don't really care at this point, was just trying to alert them of their welder's work. Looks like they don't care as well.
    Let's be honest, you don't need to be an expert (not sure what Andrew from IE is ).... joints looks welded on the outside, all edges are fused together on the outside. Inside though...there is a clear defined edge = joint is not fully fused together through the entire thickness of the tubing. And no, it was no by the design (pjp argument someone was talking about earlier). if you don't weld the joint all the way through, there is no filler coming through(besides that unmelted masterpiece in the pic #4) to be shielded by the purge that they supposedly performed.
    I though the random youtube vid that I've posted shows how the proper and purged joint should look on the inside ......guy in the vid did a quickie job too but I would not accept anything less than what it looked like in the vid.

    Leave a comment:


  • TobyB
    replied
    Did anyone noticed unmelted filler rod protruding inside the joint in pic #4?
    I thought that was a cutoff burr from cutting the tubing- either way, nothing I'd want left in there.

    I can get better penetration with a MIG, but pecker waving aside,

    this is not unusual historical Ireland quality. Jeff has
    his ups and downs like the rest of us, but also sells to a price.
    His 'suppliers' are also building things to a price.
    If you talk with him personally on the phone,
    you can usually sort it out.
    Since Jeremy left at least 10 years ago, he's the only one I deal with when anything
    goes even slightly sideways. Especially when you might get a furry camel on the phone.

    t

    Leave a comment:


  • digger
    replied
    Originally posted by 02tradition

    I really wanna buy these headers but IE says its normal and you say it will crack. IE has a reputation, I want to trust what you say but I'm skeptical of some random internet guy. Do you have any hard data or qualifications to support what you are saying?
    Its simple, if you're confident its ok then provide an extended warranty against cracking and stand behind your products for real

    Leave a comment:

Working...