Valve cover gasket.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve cover gasket.

Hello Members, I own a 1984 BMW 325e with a 2.7 liter engine. What is the best valve cover gasket manufacture (besides BMW) out there. I already have four new rocker shaft plugs. Thank you

I've always heard the Victor Reinz is terrible, so stay away from that at least. I think the Elring one is good enough. My advice is to check out FCP Euro, they generally don't stock poor quality parts, so you can't really go wrong.

Comment

Thank you Dave. When you change your valve cover gasket, do you use a thin layer of RTV silicone on both sides?

Comment

The OEM valve gasket often leaks oil.

Victor Reinz's gasket actually has an additional rubber layer.
        https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-32...h/11121730229/

I would use silicone on both sides.
        Again, Victor Reinz's Reinzosil is good.

I would also use silicone around the rubber plugs.

But it's relatively easy to change the valve gasket later on if it leaks.

Comment

they've probably changed over the years. the VR gaskets in the past never had the silicone layer, it was just rubber and never sealed right.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
            they've probably changed over the years. the VR gaskets in the past never had the silicone layer, it was just rubber and never sealed right.
            I looked through different valve gaskets.
            https://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E30-32...h/11121730229/

Most of them, including OEM, are made of cardboard-like material. Silicone really helps with them.

Some people say that the Goetze gasket is better.
            Last edited by Vincenze; 06-04-2020, 11:27 AM.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I installed MAHLE (with that extra rubber layer) and it's leaking.

Comment

Originally posted by 84mint325e View Post
                Thank you for the information. I installed MAHLE (with that extra rubber layer) and it's leaking.
                I would clean the surfaces from oil, and reseal the gasket using any high-temperature silicone.
                And the plugs too.

Comment

Thanks Vincenze, I didn't think about the high temperature. The stuff that I was going to use would have burned away.

Comment

New gasket wit high temperature RTV did the trick. Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                    X