Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AC system converted to r134a

Hello everyone,
    I converted my AC system to r134a and it is today filled up and working properly.
    My only concern is that now I cannot close my hood anymore. The hood hinge touches my high-pressure service port on the passenger side of the car whenever I try to close it. It is due to the r134a adapter that is too long. Is there any way I could fix that? I saw somewhere that I should remove the adapter but when I tried it started leaking everywhere so I closed it right back. I took some pictures below so you can understand what I mean better:

Lucas

My high pressure port in further up that pipe than yours but it was still difficult to access the high pressure port. My kit came with a fitting to adapt the ports. I ended up using the old R12 ports to make connecting the gauges easier.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Originally posted by tomstin View Post
      My high pressure port in further up that pipe than yours but it was still difficult to access the high pressure port. My kit came with a fitting to adapt the ports. I ended up using the old R12 ports to make connecting the gauges easier.
      Thank you for your answer. The r12 port is not as tall as the adapter so it might fit. I just want to know if I take off the adapter completely, will it stop leaking everywhere?

Comment

As I recall, I replaced the schrader valve with one that came with the kit and put the old cap on. The cap keeps dust and debris out of the valve itself. Similar to the cap on your tire pressure valve.
        2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Unfortunately you probably need to replace the valve in the fitting to stop the leak. This is not uncommon. Sometimes you can get it to seat by pressing it a few times but sometimes it's just the valve. You won't be able to bend the line enough to clear the arm without risking cracking it or kinking it. You probably just need to sacrifice the charge and replace the valve in your fitting since removing the adapter and putting a cap on the fitting is your simplest and cheapest option. Your hood arm looks different than mine, which clears my fitting adapter just fine with the line bent slightly toward the fender. I am observant but not enough to recall if hood arms vary between model years or for some other reason. This cropped version of an old picture of my engine bay shows it.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by varg; 11-17-2020, 07:35 AM.

IG @turbovarg
          '91 318is, M20 turbo
          [CoTM: 4-18]
          '94 525iT slicktop, M50B30 + S362SX-E, 600WHP DD or bust
          - updated 3-17

Comment

Originally posted by varg View Post
            Unfortunately you probably need to replace the valve in the fitting to stop the leak. This is not uncommon. Sometimes you can get it to seat by pressing it a few times but sometimes it's just the valve. You won't be able to bend the line enough to clear the arm without risking cracking it or kinking it. You probably just need to sacrifice the charge and replace the valve in your fitting since removing the adapter and putting a cap on the fitting is your simplest and cheapest option. Your hood arm looks different than mine, which clears my fitting adapter just fine with the line bent slightly toward the fender. I am observant but not enough to recall if hood arms vary between model years or for some other reason. This cropped version of an old picture of my engine bay shows it.
            thank you varg for your answer. I might look into a different hood arm maybe that will fix it. If not I’ll take a look that the valve and get it fixed once the ac is empty.

Comment

This is a common problem. I carry the 134a fitting in my glove box and put it on whenever I service the AC. Some have supposedly found 134a fittings that are short enough but not me.

You may want to consider replacing the hard line with the fitting instead of trying to modify the hinge. The updated (134a) version of that line has the fitting farther back, so the hinge easily clears it. The one available new from BMW is listed for the cabrio, but I am fairly sure it will work on other models. I have one on the shelf and plan to install it on my Touring this month, so I will follow up with a post confirming the fitment.
              1992 325i Cabrio
              1988 320i Touring
              2000 M5
              1977 530i
              2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
              BMWCCA
              E30CCA

Comment

Working...
              X