Can't fit new axles in

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't fit new axles in

Ordered brand new GKN Loebro axles, went to fit them in but the outer CV joint splines do not slide into the spindles no matter what I do, although I do not have a specialized press tool if one even exists for that. Upon a close inspection I noticed that the spline grooves on the new axles ate V shaped rather than U shaped like on the old axles.

New on the left, old on the right

Pepboys may have the tool for rent.
    OEM Front Hub Puller/Installer
    Part #: 27192

Comment

Myself and others have had to debur the splines with a V file. Nothing too heavy just enough to "clean" up the splines so they slide in. I also have the ford axle puller tool I got online for like $12. Makes sure the axle gets pulled in straight without having to hammer the back side possibly damaging the boot.
      "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
      88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
      89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
      91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Appreciate the replies. I don't quite understand how that tool can possibly help me "pulling" the axles in. The thing is there's absolutely nothing for that tool to grab onto, the threaded bit of the splined portion is completely unaccessible as in you can't thread anything on it since there's simply no room. The tool looks like it's designed to push stuff out anyways. What the f am I missing? There would be a LOT of filing, if I can even find the appropriate file to match the grove profile

Comment

you need to clean the splines really well on both sides, then apply lots of never-seize and you'll probably have to use the axle itself to slam it in to the hub. hopefully, if you have enough never-seize applied and your mating surfaces clean enough, all should be well.
          '72 2002 pickup | '88 M5 | '89 330is | '89 M3 | '01 Z3M | '11 328xi-t

Comment

Originally posted by Mustachio View Post
            Appreciate the replies. I don't quite understand how that tool can possibly help me "pulling" the axles in. The thing is there's absolutely nothing for that tool to grab onto, the threaded bit of the splined portion is completely unaccessible as in you can't thread anything on it since there's simply no room. The tool looks like it's designed to push stuff out anyways. What the f am I missing? There would be a LOT of filing, if I can even find the appropriate file to match the grove profile
            The smaller front part of the tool is screwed to the threaded portion. Then it's easy to pull it in.

Comment

It's just a simple V file you can get from Home Depot or any hardware store. Remove enough material so that the axle fits and use the tool to pull it the rest of the way. I've been where you are and after enough frustration and time wasted, I went to town on the splines. It was the only way it would even begin to fit.
              "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

Comment

Make sure to put some anti-seize on the splines before install. Not only will it help the axle slide into place without a ton of force, it'll make it possible to remove the axle without beating it to hell.

I had axles on my car for about 4 years and was able to remove them by hand once the nut was removed. Anti-seize is amazing and should be used whenever possible.
                sigpic
                1987 - 325i Convertible Delphin Auto [SOLD], 325i Convertible Delphin Manual [SOLD]
                1989 - 325i Convertible Bronzit m30b35 swapped [SCRAPPED], 325i Sedan Alpine Auto[DD]
                1991 - 325i Coupe Laguna Manual [Project], 535i Sedan Alpine [SCRAPPED]

Comment

Well this is quite interesting, why would I have to spend hours filing a NEW part?! Not angry at your comment but just a bit baffled. It is also my understanding, based on all the "research" I've done, that GKN is one of the few trustworthy manufacturers of OE parts for BMW and yet their product seems so imprecise...well who knows where these parts are made now

The more I think about this the more confused I am. My current axle is definitely not original since it doesn't have the typical "hump" in the middle. The threaded part diameter is different and the nut is different. GKN's threaded part is thicker with a nut that's designed to be deformed and folded into the cut out...

I will try the puller tool option since it seems like the cheapest way at the moment, BUT, would it not score/destroy the splines if the tolerance is too tight? Would hate to render both the axle and spindle inop

Comment

GKN, like all suppliers can be hit or miss on quality as they undoubtedly use more than one supplier for components. You shouldn't really need a puller to install, just lightly work the part to make it fit and all will be well.

Comment

Ok so I was looking to get the puller tool that everyone keeps mentioning; based on multiple sources, e30 models call for a 22mm socket to fit over the threaded axle tip. However, the GKN threads are 24mm, which is typically found on e36 models. Guys who purchased axles from GKN, did you notice the same thing?

Comment

Sounds like you have the wrong axles then.

Comment

Can anyone else with GKN axle experience chime in? Specifically with regard to getting a 24mm nut vs typical 22mm

Comment

Originally posted by Mustachio View Post
                            Can anyone else with GKN axle experience chime in? Specifically with regard to getting a 24mm nut vs typical 22mm
                            I just replaced both axles on my car with GKNs in May. They both fit into the hub no problem on the first try, all I had to do was put a little wheel bearing grease on the splines to help them slide. However, one axle came with a normal OE style 22mm nut, and the other came with a 12pt nut, and a very fine thread on the splined end. I can't remember if it was 24 or 22mm Even though it didn't matter, the difference between sides killed my OCD. The CV ends on the 12pt nut axle were also painted black, whereas the normal axle was electroplated metal (like OEM). I ended up paining the bare metal axle black to match. About 2k miles later, the alien 12pt axle started to click on the outer CV, so I exchanged it for a new one (FCP Euro FTW) and they sent me... a normal 22mm nut axle with electroplated ends!! Not sure if I just got a bad axle or if the 12pt nut end had something to do with it. My local friends who have used GKNs also said they've never seen that style before. Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
                            Last edited by 15Michaeljoseph; 12-12-2020, 09:06 AM.
                            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

OP, if you look at others experiences with rear axle fit, you'll soon discover that some slide right in, some are a bit tight,
                              and others are so tight that they take almost extraordinary force to install and remove. It's manufacturing tolerances
                              in a part that's not trivial to get exactly right,

First, measure the thing to make sure you have the right part. GKN's manufacturing is still very good, but it's not unheard of to get the wrong part,
                              either from them directly or the parts chain.

Secondly, GKN has changed styles recently in several other applications (E46 front axles, e.g.) so it's possible they've changed the thread
                              OR redesigned the whole thing. Again, the measuring, as the E46 part is now visually different but still works.
                              See 15MJ's post, above- we may be looking at the end of supply for these things...

I have not used the above referenced puller, but there IS enough room to get a thin threaded sleeve around the threads, and then pull the
                              axle into place. I made one on a lathe with a used nut, but I DO recommend the rental idea, as it takes a while... ;)
                              If the puller doesn't do the job pretty easily, something's wrong. If there isn't room around the threads, something's wrong.

As to why you can't get a new part for a 30 year old car that works right the first time, just be glad you CAN get a new part.
                              Mass production and Crapitalisim being what they are, we're not really a very lucrative market for budding venture Crapitalists...

t
                              not sold
                              now, sometimes I just mess with people. It's more entertaining that way. george graves

Comment

Working...
                              X