Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim's Classic Parts Wheel Hubs for a bolt-on swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim's Classic Parts Wheel Hubs for a bolt-on swap?

So I found this guy on instagram:
    2,005 Followers, 563 Following, 817 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Tim's Classic Parts (@timsclassicparts)

Apparently he's a supplier for some people: "Garagistic/E30GarageNorway/KW/Simons/Bilstein/EBC/Eibach/H&R/Supersprint/StrongFlex/Koni and more" as he says.
    So he has these wheel bearings:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CY_mOjfO..._web_copy_link

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-01-22 095247.jpg Views:	28 Size:	60.6 KB ID:	10043255
    Looks like this.

Alright, so let's say I don't want to do all the suspension bits and mess with the geometry and all that.
    Why don't we just swap the wheel bearings like these and be on with it?
    It needs 5 lug rotors too yes.
    What else?
    Why can't I just keep my stock geometry, and just swap these?

BTW I am in no shape or form affiliated with the guy or even defending him, just to put it out there.
    I'm just curious.
    Last edited by hozzziii; 01-24-2022, 05:35 AM.

I have seen these and the consensus was the thin material between where the lug screws in and the edge. Some engineers spoke up and felt it was unsafe.

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post
      I have seen these and the consensus was the thin material between where the lug screws in and the edge. Some engineers spoke up and felt it was unsafe.
      Fair enough.

Comment

The distance to the edge of the hub, and the spacing between those two pairs of holes is definitely suboptimal, but you could probably get away with it. I’d frequently check the wheel lug torque, and do periodic inspection for cracks in the hub.

Comment

Originally posted by redlightpete View Post
          The distance to the edge of the hub, and the spacing between those two pairs of holes is definitely suboptimal, but you could probably get away with it. I’d frequently check the wheel lug torque, and do periodic inspection for cracks in the hub.
          This is probably gonna bury me, but why not just, make these hubs 5-lug only?
          I mean it seems to me that people, such as this guy, have access to some stock that can fit in place of the hubs on our cars.

I just had an "aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhh" moment.
          Maybe these are oem E30 hubs, and he's just drilling and zinc plating them, yeah that could explain the two designs.

Comment

Yer hes just redrilling oem ones. Good rule of thumb in engineering is diameter of the hole is the minimum edge distance of the hole, preferably 1.5x+. The one in the link is a little little to close for my liking. Though it would probably works perfectly fine for many years, until it doesn't.

I personally don't like how its threaded and is so close to the edge. Not much meat holding that thread together. but hey, if he's happy to put his name it it then he hopefully has enough experience of them performing acceptably over time.

Ive seen other sets that appear to be a brand new "custom" hub with plenty of edge distance. though I cant seem to find it at the moment.

Comment

Here is a 5 lug swap that is better: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...8#post10018507

You use BMW hubs and the only parts custom engineered are the adapter sleeves and the caliper adapters. It moves the rear hub out 23mm per side and the front hub out 12mm per side.

Comment

Originally posted by e30davie View Post
                Yer hes just redrilling oem ones. Good rule of thumb in engineering is diameter of the hole is the minimum edge distance of the hole, preferably 1.5x+. The one in the link is a little little to close for my liking. Though it would probably works perfectly fine for many years, until it doesn't.

I personally don't like how its threaded and is so close to the edge. Not much meat holding that thread together. but hey, if he's happy to put his name it it then he hopefully has enough experience of them performing acceptably over time.

Ive seen other sets that appear to be a brand new "custom" hub with plenty of edge distance. though I cant seem to find it at the moment.
                Yeah looking at it, I probably wouldn't be comfortable with that distance to the edge.

Comment

Here is a 5 lug swap that is better: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/for...8#post10018507

You use BMW hubs and the only parts custom engineered are the adapter sleeves and the caliper adapters. It moves the rear hub out 23mm per side and the front hub out 12mm per side.
                  Ah yeah I remember that SRS Concept kit, nice to see it in action.

He used IRP for fronts, SRS for rears.

Probably bought this bundle:
                  https://www.drifthq.com/products/irp...30179147743279

Their currency conversion is um... hopeful?
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2022-02-01 155843.jpg Views:	11 Size:	33.4 KB ID:	10044215
                  Well I wish them good luck with their sales, I guess.
                  Last edited by hozzziii; 02-02-2022, 11:49 PM.

Comment

Their contact says they are in FL. Could ask if anyone has made a purchase if you feel unsafe? Or pay with paypal.

Comment

Those dual pcd hubs look similar to the Clipz ones from across the pond. They've been out for a while now.

Edit: nvm, these are the clipz hubs.
                      Last edited by Victell; 02-01-2022, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I feel like you could press fit a steel ring around the outside of that hub, and it would be fine (at least the threads wouldn't deform). Otherwise, the engineer in me says it's *probably* fine the way it is. but that same person also says "probably" isn't good enough for the only thing that holds the wheels, tires and brakes to your car.

IMO, it doesn't seem at all worth the compromises just to have 1 extra lug bolt. That's how I've always felt about 5 lug swaps on E30s in general. Whether it's OE E30 M3 parts for a bazillion dollars, E36/E46 parts that don't fit right, redrilled wheels or redrilled hubs, or those stupid adapters that push your wheels out 2" past the fenders - is that really worth it? especially if you still have stock, heavy brakes? (even if they're from a newer M3 - they're still heavy as fuck)

You're going to have to compromise something - safety, cost, weight - all so you can have 1" bigger wheels that you can't get good tires for anyway?

Not saying anyone needs my approval if they really want 5 lugs one way or another. I like the looks of Style 5's on an E30 as much as anyone. But to me this is a safety issue and this might be the worst as far as that goes. At least with redrilled wheels, they weld in the 4-lug holes and the loss of bolt edge distance is in the center of mass where the material stress is lower, and not in the threads which is the weakest part by far.
                        Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Mapco special parts are also making 5lug hubs that are direct replacement and brakedisks

I bought one set here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274907774716

Hubs: https://www.mapco-automotive.co.uk/c...120-wheel-hub/

Brakedisks: https://www.mapco.com/en/carparts/41...0c-brake-disc/
                          BMW E30 M3 - S50B32
                          www.e30.is

Comment

Their contact says they are in FL. Could ask if anyone has made a purchase if you feel unsafe? Or pay with paypal.
                            Nah I'm far off a 5-lug swap. Maybe in a year or two.
                            At the moment I'm focusing on the core of the project.

But was just curious about the whole "You need these 32 parts to add one lug to your car" rule that a lot of people seem to follow.
                            And yeah they pretty much concluded "Don't do it", and I don't blame them.

So yeah maybe in time.

Originally posted by nando View Post
                            I feel like you could press fit a steel ring around the outside of that hub, and it would be fine (at least the threads wouldn't deform). Otherwise, the engineer in me says it's *probably* fine the way it is. but that same person also says "probably" isn't good enough for the only thing that holds the wheels, tires and brakes to your car.

IMO, it doesn't seem at all worth the compromises just to have 1 extra lug bolt. That's how I've always felt about 5 lug swaps on E30s in general. Whether it's OE E30 M3 parts for a bazillion dollars, E36/E46 parts that don't fit right, redrilled wheels or redrilled hubs, or those stupid adapters that push your wheels out 2" past the fenders - is that really worth it? especially if you still have stock, heavy brakes? (even if they're from a newer M3 - they're still heavy as fuck)

You're going to have to compromise something - safety, cost, weight - all so you can have 1" bigger wheels that you can't get good tires for anyway?

Not saying anyone needs my approval if they really want 5 lugs one way or another. I like the looks of Style 5's on an E30 as much as anyone. But to me this is a safety issue and this might be the worst as far as that goes. At least with redrilled wheels, they weld in the 4-lug holes and the loss of bolt edge distance is in the center of mass where the material stress is lower, and not in the threads which is the weakest part by far.
                            I agree, not worth it. And people seem to be catching on.

I mean at least nowadays there's the option of kits like SRS, otherwise sourcing aaaaall those parts and in the end you got some messed up geometry or even fitment issues? Nope.

Like, if there are Supra's and R35 GTR's putting down 3000 hp with 5-lugs, then our mere 4-lugs can take even a thousand right?

And I love those og dtm wheels, and you can find replica's with 4-lugs like Rota D154 or Compomotive th1781 which look awesome IMO.

So no losses in terms of wheels too.

Originally posted by Mazi! View Post
                            Mapco special parts are also making 5lug hubs that are direct replacement and brakedisks

I bought one set here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/274907774716

Hubs: https://www.mapco-automotive.co.uk/c...120-wheel-hub/

Brakedisks: https://www.mapco.com/en/carparts/41...0c-brake-disc/
                            Now THIS! If what I had in mind, awesome find man.

Although I can't find a kit for rears on their website.
                            Plus they require a login for price, like what, what year is this.
                            Last edited by hozzziii; 02-03-2022, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hozzziii View Post

Now THIS! If what I had in mind, awesome find man.

Although I can't find a kit for rears on their website.
                              Plus they require a login for price, like what, what year is this.
                              Is this not the same thing that you posted before?

Comment

Working...
                              X