No announcement yet.

The 5 lug swap truth thread!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

N what's the lowest offset wheel I can use?

Comment

you can go as low as you want. that will actually help with clearing stuff. I wish i could put some 17x8.5 et10s on my e30. Would be sick but would need some important fender rolling on the rear... would allow me to get rid of the spacers too.

n stop typing like that unless you're a 13yro girl that just discovered myspace ; |
      No more e30s for me.
      88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
      88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
      91 BMW 325i [sold]
      86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
      http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post
        you can go as low as you want. that will actually help with clearing stuff. I wish i could put some 17x8.5 et10s on my e30. Would be sick but would need some important fender rolling on the rear... would allow me to get rid of the spacers too.

n stop typing like that unless you're a 13yro girl that just discovered myspace ; |
        thanks for the info mate...

Comment

Don't bother with non-m in the front. E30m3 in the rear, m-coupe or one of massive's ti rears.

For you all that don't want to spend on what is above just get a nice four lug brake kit and some nice wheels for much less than is above.

Non m front made for the worst car I have ever driven, I didn't even get a block down the street before I turned around and pulled it off. Late e36 m3 with treehouse. My wheels sit in the center of the well on gc coilovers and vorshlag plates.

17x8.5 rondell 58's Et41 and 215/45 llantas
          Last edited by Dagamus(NM); 08-05-2011, 09:01 PM.
          sigpic
          Gun control means using both hands
          Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

so here is my update to this thread
            after smashing the shit out of the inner rear firewall area for clearance, I get no more rubbing at all- unless I am reversing at full lock (which is totally acceptable to me)

as far as the unstable feeling of the car above 140kmh, oddly enough it is gone!!!
            I guess it is/was the Chinese 205/40/17 tires. they must have "worn" in

the ET20 wheels I am running do make for a bit of the problem too I am guessing

now just need to find some ET41 wheels so I can fit some real tire on the rear of the car! anyone wanna trade a set of polished 2 piece style 5 wheels for a set of DS II's??????

Comment

one last question that i am sure I will get the answer I don't want..... will the non M brake calipers and rotors fit on the M knuckles?

Comment

Originally posted by etxxz View Post

My BBS RS 17x9.5 are ET55 ;) The front 17x8 (converted) are ET55 but no sure if that changed when added a smaller inner barrel.

I do had to make some fender guard/arch/bumper/spoiler work to have a nice flush of the wheel/tire inside of the fender on the back. Front is stock.

Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Originally posted by x17x View Post
                  I'm going 5 lug with e36 non m front n e36 ti on rear n I m using treehouse racing cab..just wanna know will my front be center or a bit to the back??
                  It will be about 10-20mm back
                  sigpic
                  BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_in_Oz View Post
                    It will be about 10-20mm back
                    what can i use to center it???

Comment

Originally posted by x17x View Post
                      what can i use to center it???
                      Buy some of these off me to fix your castor:
                      They give the required CA offset to completely center the wheel.

This is the result with Non-M spindles and 96+ M3 control arms

sigpic
                      BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Originally posted by mikeedler View Post
                        one last question that i am sure I will get the answer I don't want..... will the non M brake calipers and rotors fit on the M knuckles?
                        You already know the answer.

I have a set of dsII's in the garage I need to have stripped and refinished. Gross chrome wheels with peeling finish.

I guess I will add them to the pile of stuff to go get media blasted. Too bad you are not stateside or I would get them refinished and consider a trade.
                        sigpic
                        Gun control means using both hands
                        Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Everything bolts on...it is that the wheel moves about 40mm towards the back of the wheel arch when using them.
                          E30 M3 offset CABs move it about 12mm forward, Treehouse Racing ones move it another 10-12mm, but that is still not quite right.
                          "Countless others" are satisfied with this, as they are using smaller wheels, or decide to put up with it.

To me this wasnt satisfactory, as the 17x8 wheels still hit the back on the inner guard.
                          So I designed my own, to give the absolute maximum castor adjustment available.

I didn't say it was easier, as there was a lot of work involved, but the result is better,
                          And now I have got a number of sets made up to make it easier for others, using all 'bolt-on" components
                          Just to clarrify, you are still talking about using non-M components when I am talking about using the e36M knuckle/Radträger? My wheel is definitely not offcenter by 4cm. using ALL e36m front hardware, not just CAB that you are advertising all over this post for sale.
                          Originally posted by FredK
                          However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
                          Feedback

Comment

In my car, the only E36 M components are the control arms and the brakes. I machined the M3 caliper brackets to suit the non-M knuckle.
                            The late M control arms have a little more castor than the non-M ones.
                            sigpic
                            BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

OK so you are still using the non-M hubs. The pictures I posted prior is of my car with a centered 16" wheel (albeit oversized tire from 5 series) using all e36m3 components in the front.

My argument and has been in the thread:
                              Using e36 M3 96+ control arms (castor gaining)
                              Using M3 offset bushings (castor gaining)
                              using e36 m3 knuckles (castor gaining)
                              e36 m3 brake components, rotors, calipers etc
                              e36 m3 equivilent struts (e30 springs and e30 upper mount/Stützlager)

..will yield fewer problems than using any of the non-M counter parts listed above that are available as oem, non-custom, part.

I do have respect for your adaptability and available access to a machine shop. I understand the economics of batch manufacturing a design to keep costs within reason when it comes to tooling and setting the machines. I just wanted to drive the point home that there is a way to do this using already available parts that are fairly easy to source (at least stateside). But if there are those who want to run the non-M components due to brake/wheel restrictions then your adapters definitely fit the bill. The e36M3 requires at least a 16" wheel.

cheers,
                              p_0
                              Originally posted by FredK
                              However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
                              Feedback

Comment

dig the ride diego!

^^ and yes, e36 spindles definitely help.
                                No more e30s for me.
                                88 black BMW OBDII 332is dedicated track [sold]
                                88 BMW OBDII bronzit 332is [RIP 03/08]
                                91 BMW 325i [sold]
                                86 Corolla 'Ae86' HB 20v trd [sold]
                                http://youtube.com/watch?v=pTj7Hn9v5Rs

Comment

Working...
                                X