The 5 lug swap truth thread!!!!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psyber_0ptix View Post
    OK so you are still using the non-M hubs. The pictures I posted prior is of my car with a centered 16" wheel (albeit oversized tire from 5 series) using all e36m3 components in the front.

My argument and has been in the thread:
    Using e36 M3 96+ control arms (castor gaining)
    Using M3 offset bushings (castor gaining)
    using e36 m3 knuckles (castor gaining)
    e36 m3 brake components, rotors, calipers etc
    e36 m3 equivilent struts (e30 springs and e30 upper mount/Stützlager)

..will yield fewer problems than using any of the non-M counter parts listed above that are available as oem, non-custom, part.

I do have respect for your adaptability and available access to a machine shop. I understand the economics of batch manufacturing a design to keep costs within reason when it comes to tooling and setting the machines. I just wanted to drive the point home that there is a way to do this using already available parts that are fairly easy to source (at least stateside). But if there are those who want to run the non-M components due to brake/wheel restrictions then your adapters definitely fit the bill. The e36M3 requires at least a 16" wheel.

cheers,
    p_0
    No problems. Agree with all of the above, however my adaptors will still provide 10mm more castor than the Treehouse Racing ones, and 15mm to 20mm more than the M3 offset bushes.

Also, based on what is available at the time, mine will provide a cheaper alternative than having to buy all of the M stuff
    sigpic
    BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Originally posted by Sharino View Post
      This thread is scaring the crap out of me, I invested tons of money into a 5 lug swap, now I am scared it will drive like crap. Haven't installed anything yet but this is what I have so far:

- Groundcontrol 5 lug E30 kit (adj konis f/r) with camber/caster strut plates
      - treehouse CABs
      - new OEM M3 96+ control arms
      - 96+ M3 front spindles, calipers/rotors

rear:
      - Z3 I6 hubs
      - 318ti carriers
      - E36 rear calipers
      - Z3 I6 rotors
      - E30 new wheel bearings

wheels:
      17x7.5" ET41 style 5s or 16" RS bastardize mix/match set 8" and 9"
      (havent decided which set to run yet)

I plan to install a porportioning valve, but besides for brakes, think this will drive ok?
      Bro got the same damn setup to put on mine after the S52 is finished, I think it will do just fine as long as the rear wheels tuck. I got 8" in front and 8.5" rears.
      Originally posted by 325Projectz
      don't listen to the diagram... listen to mr. swiss.
      :nice:

Comment

This is the setup that I have on my s50 e30 and it works absolutely fine.

Here's a video of my car at a track day (my first track day, so I'm a shitty driver) last year: http://vimeo.com/14568709

Originally posted by Mr.SWISS View Post
        Bro got the same damn setup to put on mine after the S52 is finished, I think it will do just fine as long as the rear wheels tuck. I got 8" in front and 8.5" rears.

Comment

Alright, I got 6.8 +/- of caster. That should explain my complain about my stability eh?
          Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

Yep, that would explain it.... I have around 11 deg
            sigpic
            BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_in_Oz View Post
              Yep, that would explain it.... I have around 11 deg
              God damn! I can't believe how you achieve it! Seriously. I had the e30 on the ramp checking my suspension (since I got the e36 m3 spindles new from bimmerworld to fit but brake bracket wont' fit) and did a check of the "gap" of the TRH lolypop (sp?) that was custom machined to gain more caster and the round thing was already hitting the fram rail. I don't see how I can reduce the clearance/gap any further.

My +97 M e36 control arms are already slightly and carefully bent to gain more caster, but it was minimal. My Vorshlag camber plates had a little room to gain more caster (while we measured 6.8º caster) so we adjsuted it but as I write, I can't say how minimal caster was gained (if gained anything) , I will have to ask my tech about it.

Perhaps there is somethign wrong in my shock towers? I was thinking to modify my Vorshlag camber plates a little bit, to re drill wider the holes for the caster to gain more, but not sure if is a good idea.:-x
              Euro M3'87 NogaroSilver/Euro E34 M5 '93/Porsche 993 TT 97' Euro/Porsche 993 Carrera 95' Euro/Skyline R33 GT-R

Comment

The CA Mounts I machined actually get the pin of the control arm up against the frame rail.
                I have said all along in this thread that I have designed these CA mounts to provide more castor than is possible with the THR ones. (even when they are machined)

PM me and if you want to see a 3D image of the mounts
                Last edited by IanS_in_Oz; 08-17-2011, 07:00 AM.
                sigpic
                BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Originally posted by IanS_in_Oz View Post
                  The CA Mounts I machined actually get the pin of the control arm up against the frame rail.
                  I have said all along in this thread that I have designed these CA mounts to provide more castor than is possible with the THR ones. (even when they are machined)

I am setting up a link to a 3D image of the mount, so you can see how close I get the arm to the frame rail. I'll edit this email when it is the file is hosted
                  I would like to see a picture to see where it actually mounts agasint mine. If I see aceptable difference I might consider buying a set from you, otherwsie I wouldn't like ot buy it and find that added marely 1º or so of caster over my machined TRH.

Please, let us know about your 3D image or even better the actual picture of it mounted (but in different angle or better focus than the image you already posted). :D

Comment

I decided not to post the 3D, but I will PM it.

Here's the best pics i have ove it fitted...

sigpic
                    BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

Alright, here is a shot where it seat.

And how machined/slotted

Comment

Does this show the difference?

sigpic
                        BumbleE30 M52 2.8i

Comment

INDEED, THEE IS A DIFFERENCE, NOT HUGE, but still.

Comment

Originally posted by diegom6 View Post
                            God damn! I can't believe how you achieve it! Seriously. I had the e30 on the ramp checking my suspension (since I got the e36 m3 spindles new from bimmerworld to fit but brake bracket wont' fit) and did a check of the "gap" of the TRH lolypop (sp?) that was custom machined to gain more caster and the round thing was already hitting the fram rail. I don't see how I can reduce the clearance/gap any further.

My +97 M e36 control arms are already slightly and carefully bent to gain more caster, but it was minimal. My Vorshlag camber plates had a little room to gain more caster (while we measured 6.8º caster) so we adjsuted it but as I write, I can't say how minimal caster was gained (if gained anything) , I will have to ask my tech about it.

Perhaps there is somethign wrong in my shock towers? I was thinking to modify my Vorshlag camber plates a little bit, to re drill wider the holes for the caster to gain more, but not sure if is a good idea.:-x
                            What do you mean the brake bracket won't fit? E36m3 kingpin needs m3 rotors and calipers. You can do the sweet m-coupe floating rotors with those.

What are the part numbers on your control arms? You 100% sure they are late model?
                            sigpic
                            Gun control means using both hands
                            Sex, Drugs, Rock 'n roll. Pick two.

Comment

Originally posted by Dagamus(NM) View Post
                              What do you mean the brake bracket won't fit? E36m3 kingpin needs m3 rotors and calipers. You can do the sweet m-coupe floating rotors with those.

What are the part numbers on your control arms? You 100% sure they are late model?

The regular e36 kingpin and the Me36 kingping are different lenght for the brake caliper bolt on position, the M series is larger distance, therefore is not direct swapp the brake calipers you have in your regular e36 kingpin if you do the swapp.

About the control arms, let me know if these are the correct ones (those are what my car have)

-Diego

Comment

as stated, must use all e36M components, no mix and match. Same goes for caliper and rotors
                                Originally posted by FredK
                                However, in your absence, I will likely sit in your seat buck naked while making racecar noises as if I were maxing your E30 out on the Mulsanne Straight while allowing the perforated vinyl to soak up my butt sweat (going 200 mph does that to you).

My year in Germany
                                Feedback

Comment

Working...
                                X