New member and my 5 lug conversion

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • rongineer13
    replied
    Originally posted by wazzu70
    How do regular e36 rotors line up? Im not looking for the size of rotors the e46m3 had. Not sure if the hat depth between the E36 and E46 rotors are the same.

    Kit looks really nice. Good work! I see you have a flange for the bearing race to push up against too. Very nice!
    Thanks! The flange is there for the bearing to push against, and also to help transfer the load onto the thicker part of the spindle at the base of it.

    To answer your question about the E36 rotors vs. the E46 M3 rotors, while the hat depth is the same for the rotors, the caliper brackets I have designed (so far) only work with the E46 M3 rotor. That being said, I will test fit smaller E36/46 328i calipers and rotors to see if everything lines up, and get back to you with a complete answer!

    Originally posted by Dissembler
    Doesn't look like there is much of the hub left for the wheels or a spacer to sit on. Have you experienced any issues with vibration?
    There is a solution I have made, yet have not shown, for that issue. So no, I don't experience any issues with that.

    Originally posted by RobE30
    This looks fantastic!
    Thank you!

    Originally posted by LJ851
    A couple questions.

    1) Where are the wheel mounting surfaces (change in track width) compared to the stock e30 4 lug hub?

    2) Can ABS be retained?

    3) With the calipers you have chosen what is the change in F to R bias (if any) compared to stock? Also, are the calipers designed for e30 sized M/C or is a different size cyl. required for oem feel?

    The parts look good!
    First off, thanks! To answer your questions,

    1) The mounting surface is moved out by 12 mm from the stock location. So the total increase in track width is 24 mm, just shy of an inch.

    2) I have retained the ABS on my car and it is fully tested and functional! I did not modify any of the ABS system, and the front ABS sensor clears the new 5 lug hub exactly the way it cleared the old 4 lug hub.

    3a) The front to rear bias has technically changed, although I cannot give you a calculated percentage of change from stock. The change however, I feel is negligible; and out of the handful of other E30 owners who have driven my car, they would agree.

    3b) As for the M/C issue, I have my stock master in my car that I daily drive and I have no real complaints. This being said, I will say that the brakes are designed for a larger M/C, therefore could use a larger one to that the precise factory feel. I am very much a perfectionist, but after the over 10,000 miles I've put on my car I would say the pedal feel isn't too far off.

    Thank you everyone for your response! Please feel free to ask any important questions you may have.

    Leave a comment:


  • LJ851
    replied
    A couple questions.

    1) Where are the wheel mounting surfaces (change in track width) compared to the stock e30 4 lug hub?

    2) Can ABS be retained?

    3) With the calipers you have chosen what is the change in F to R bias (if any) compared to stock? Also, are the calipers designed for e30 sized M/C or is a different size cyl. required for oem feel?

    The parts look good!

    Leave a comment:


  • RobE30
    replied
    This looks fantastic!

    Leave a comment:


  • Dissembler
    replied
    Originally posted by rongineer13
    Okay here are some pictures of the kit! Also included will be front hubs, and rear hubs and wheel bearings, and brake lines that aren't shown. I will post pictures of those and also of it all mounted up on a front spindle and a rear trailing arm on a workbench tomorrow. Enjoy!

    And a front spindle with the hub, adaptor, with the rotor spacer and centering ring installed:


    Pictures of calipers and rotors mounted coming tomorrow.
    Doesn't look like there is much of the hub left for the wheels or a spacer to sit on. Have you experienced any issues with vibration?

    Leave a comment:


  • wazzu70
    replied
    How do regular e36 rotors line up? Im not looking for the size of rotors the e46m3 had. Not sure if the hat depth between the E36 and E46 rotors are the same.

    Kit looks really nice. Good work! I see you have a flange for the bearing race to push up against too. Very nice!

    Leave a comment:


  • HighOnLife
    replied
    wow that's looks like a really nice kit

    Leave a comment:


  • rongineer13
    replied
    Okay here are some pictures of the kit! Also included will be front hubs, and rear hubs and wheel bearings, and brake lines that aren't shown. I will post pictures of those and also of it all mounted up on a front spindle and a rear trailing arm on a workbench tomorrow. Enjoy!

    All the machined parts:


    Sneak peak close up of the front adaptor:


    And a front spindle with the hub, adaptor, with the rotor spacer and centering ring installed:


    Pictures of calipers and rotors mounted coming tomorrow.

    Leave a comment:


  • rongineer13
    replied
    Originally posted by wazzu70
    Per my post here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...6&postcount=92

    What did you do about that issue? Any pictures of your front adapter?
    I will post some pictures of my front adaptor tomorrow. The adaptor is more than strong enough, I have been running my identical setup on my '89 iS for more than 10k miles with no issue. The adaptor is designed to be as strong as a 4 lug hub without the adaptor.

    Leave a comment:


  • wazzu70
    replied
    Per my post here: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...6&postcount=92

    What did you do about that issue? Any pictures of your front adapter?

    Leave a comment:


  • rongineer13
    replied
    Originally posted by Aptyp
    that looks awesome. Definitely interested in the rear kit. What hub did you end up using? Standard e36?
    Originally posted by rkettner
    Does the rear change kit change the offset
    The rear hub is E30 M3. This will be included in the kit, along with new wheel bearings. I have E36 fitment 17"x8" wheels and am running a 15mm spacer in the rear with 225/40's and I rub a little because the tires are so tall. I test fitted E39 style 5's, and they could actually use a spacer in the rear to be flush.

    Leave a comment:


  • rkettner
    replied
    Does the rear change kit change the offset

    Leave a comment:


  • Aptyp
    replied
    that looks awesome. Definitely interested in the rear kit. What hub did you end up using? Standard e36?

    Leave a comment:


  • rongineer13
    replied
    Hey guys, we started a run of kits last week. Here is a sneak peek before I announce a group buy with full product pictures and details...


    More pictures to follow this week!

    Leave a comment:


  • rongineer13
    replied
    Originally posted by knuklehead92
    any word on the kit?
    Originally posted by Jurt
    +1
    This sounds great!
    Originally posted by el bimmer
    Interested!
    Hey guys sorry for the delay in response, I've been extremely busy. Quick update though, the caliper brackets are going to be made from a new material, so they will weigh next to nothing. In addition, the rear calipers will also be FACTORY BMW ALUMINUM calipers. This will result in pretty much a wash in the unsprung weight in the rear when compared to the stock 4 lug brakes and hub; for those of us who care!

    This being said, please be patient, this IS happening and soon. Otherwise I wouldn't be on here talking about it!

    Pictures of the new rear setup that keeps the stock parking brake will be up shortly!

    Thanks guys

    Leave a comment:


  • el bimmer
    replied
    Interested!

    Leave a comment:

Working...