X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do you mount the brake calipers?

Comment

Just to make sure everyone understands:

It is known that the swap with e36 M3 front struts, knuckles/spindles requires roughly et35 to et41 on wheels. I have this in front.

In my rear, if the labeling from my parts place is correct (which I will verify if possible later) I have complete Z3 1.9L arms/hubs/brakes. These also utilize the same offset used above.

For reference:
      - I am sitting on H&R E30 sport springs all around, -2 degrees camber rear, -1 degrees camber front
      - My wheels are et41, 17" x 7.5"
      - Tires are 215/40/R17, no rubbing at all from squating, only lock to lock on inner frame rail, tested fully loaded too.
      - original e30 axles and front strut mounts

Pic whoring to show fitment, hope these work for you guys as good reference!

----------

If I have this right, Aptyp's section here is about swapping complete Z3 I-6 (2.5/2.8L+) rear assemblies over:
      Can I use z3 trailing arms?
      Yes you can, and again, I must recommend against it.
      1. Z3 trailing arm is spaced nearly 2 inches outward, requiring wheels with ET60 offset. No one makes them, unless you're looking at custom wheels, driving your cost way up. If you're building REALLY WIDE body e30, you'd be able to get away with using them.
      2. You'll need z3 axles and differential flanges as well, even further driving up the price of your build.
      3. e30 ABS sensor WILL NOT plug into z3 trailing arms, as e36 ABS/Speed sensors are shorter.

He may edit that original post to reflect this ;)
      Last edited by clavinZERO; 05-21-2009, 12:38 PM.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
      HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
      **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

thanks Calvin. It all boils down to this:

Z3 1.9L = 318ti

and your wheels are ze tits.

In other related news, my lazy procrastinating ass finished front swap with e36 steering rack. Took whole day, and I'll have pics ready tomorrow.

Comment

Thanks Aptyp.

And it CLAvin, not CALvin. :P

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
          HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
          **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

my bad dude. My front is all finished, and I'm sorry if I missed your call yesterday while my phone was dead, by the time I recharged, it was too late.

MY FRONT IS OFFICIALLY DONE, update is coming with pics and process.

Comment

Awesome. I can't wait for the write up.

Another thing you might add to the OP is cliffnotes on what you recommend getting and doing to make the swap completely work.

Thanks again for another awesome write-up.
              -tim
              Originally posted by Jordan
              I like the stance
              -Coining hip terms since 10/9/03

Comment

Thanks man. As far as cliff notes go, Clavin and I will try to clean OP up a little and make it an easier read. When I started my swap, I ran into too many cliff notes and questionable information. I've made a ton of mistakes, and I'd like to not abbreviate anything, just to protect myself from misinforming the rest of you.

I still have 318ti hubs for sale for direct fit for 84-85 models. Now that I'm finished, I no longer need them. $100 takes them off my hands.

Comment

this is a good thread, subscribed

Comment

My front is coming up soon. Haven't written up much lately.

Comment

Subscribed! Great work on this. Any news on the front?
                      sigpic

Comment

Alright, alright, since I'm up, I'm jumping on that right now.

Comment

added front stuff to OP, I'll have to add pics eventually.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                            added front stuff to OP, I'll have to add pics eventually.
                            You should add that if you are planning on going 5 lug with coilovers, for just a few hundred more than the E30 GC kit, Ground Control builds a set of custom strut housings to get some more caster back. You still have to use 96+ M3 control arms and offset CABs, but the caster is where it should be vs close.
                            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
                            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
                            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

Let's wait and see someone use them first. I keep hearing about it, but I am yet to see the result.

I still haven't installed my e36 m3 control arms, been very lazy, so my caster is still off.

Comment

Great writeup!

Comment

Working...
                                X