Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll be spending time with caliper to figure out the difference. They looked one to one to me, maybe there's some subtle difference I've overlooked.

Good observation and addition Robmespeedy, thank you.

Comment

No, thank you!! for this thread! it has helped me.

Comment

Thanks again, Rob. I edited my site to reflect these new findings. Still not sure what the difference in hubs or rotors is, but for swappers sake, I'd rather have accurate information...

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
          got e36m3 spindles and brakes for all 4 corners today. No I need to wreck my head to figure out how to install rear brakes. I'd like those huge m-calipers and rotors all around.
          The rotor spacing is 1 and 1/16th different from an E30 to the E36 Rear rotor.

You need to get rid of the parking brake shield.
          Past Car : E30 S50 6 Speed 5 Lug 3.73
          Current : Z3 S50 OBD2 (Smog Legal) 6 Speed BBS RN Dual Ear Diff
          Julian 848-248-8029

Comment

caliper carrier is also different...

Comment

just realized something. the Z3 I6 and the 87-91 e30 I6 use the same rear wheel bearings.

Comment

yes sir, that makes z3 hub fit inside of e30 hub. That's the premise for this write-up.

Comment

the whole time i thought the inner diameter of the bearing was different.

Comment

adding control arm pics to compare e30 to e36m3 ones.

Silver one is e30 and black one is e36 m3

Comment

So quick question, because it has kinda been bugging me lately... Why the hell is my ride in the front so harsh? I am on e36 M3 front bilsteins and e30 H&R sport springs? If it matters I am also on Ground Control Camper/Caster Plates. Am I running the wrong setup? I was under the understanding what I had was really close to optimal, but whenever I go over an expansion in the road it makes me wonder if I forgot something. There are bump stops on the front right? How can I tell if I am riding on them for some reason?
                      sigpic
                      e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

push on the front and see how far down the car goes. Bilstein bump stops are about 2.5" long, so that makes 2.5" of strut shaft unusable. H&R sports are fairly soft and easily have 1-2" of travel during normal driving. Also don't forget that camber plates make ride a lot harder. GC plates should give you extra .5" of travel, though, so they're a good thing in your setup.

Another way you can check this is to put a jack up the front on one side and look on the other side how much travel was allowed to full compression.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                          got e36m3 spindles and brakes for all 4 corners today. No I need to wreck my head to figure out how to install rear brakes. I'd like those huge m-calipers and rotors all around.
                          Did you have any luck getting the e36 rears to work? I have an e36 M3 parts car...

edit: If I end up using ti/1.9 z3 rear stuff, will the e36 M3 rear bilstein's I have work? Also, can I use e36 M3 sway bars front or rear? Thanks bro, this thread is awesome!
                          Last edited by formula driver; 01-24-2010, 04:34 AM.

Comment

exchanged PMs, hope I helped.

Added more pics to my OP and whored a little.

Comment

promissed to add my alignment data and it's not on the OP

and here

Comment

Ouch at uneven rear camber. How are your TABs?

Comment

Working...
                                X