This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

^correct

BUT, if you use e36 spindles, you can use e36 and e46 brakes.

Comment

true BUT...then i cant run style 5's in the front. and their the only set of wheels i have/can afford to put on my car.

and i think they look amazing from what ive seen
      M stands for Money:hitler:

Comment

true, but I'll be running e36 bottle caps for that classic look :-P

Comment

You figures out that a z3 hub fits on e30 trailing arm in the rear? Same spindle size?

Comment

Originally posted by THATDONFC View Post
            You figures out that a z3 hub fits on e30 trailing arm in the rear? Same spindle size?
            that's what the first post is all about... give it a read. ;)

Comment

so all I would need is the z3 hub?

Comment

Originally posted by atomic View Post
                Here are the wheels on a 5 lugged e30 m3 suspension car...

Now add another 18mm (0.70866 inches, almost 3/4") to the outside of the wheels to get a close idea what your looking at...

;)
                I'm looking to do exactly this on my early model with those wheels. So I need the E30 M3 setup? I was going to ask if E38 brakes were compatable but it seems that the E32 ones will be fine. suspension wise for coilovers would I be using E36 or E30 components? If I am using the early trailing arms.
                1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

so I got a set of 4 DSII wheels from e36 m3. All in 17x7.5. Hope car will look good on them when I mount them.

:???: Very high chance I'll be selling them, as I think they'll add to the chaos of my car's looks, and I'd like something simpler. But who knows, right?

Comment

First off, thanks for putting stuff like this out there. Like you said, so many people have the info, but nobody has taken the time to dedicate a thread like this.

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                    yeah, I was bored, and I am still kicking my ass on a few other possibilities. I was thinking of machining e30 and e36 hubs and weld them together. Kind of create a cheaper version of e30 m3 hub. That would make for the best set up, without spending a shit ton on e30 m3 trailing arms. I have both e30 and e36 hub at the moment, and all that e30 hub needs is e36 bolt-up plate... yeah, this is what I day dream of. I'm such a loser, lol.
                    Not sure if we're on the same page, but more or less, this has been my plan all along. There is nothing wrong with welding metal together and having it professionally machined. People do this stuff for a living, and i'm sure there is some stuff they make that needs to take on much more abuse than wheel hubs. Just my thoughts. I plan on taking on alot of criticism once my setup is done, but hey, that's fine with me.
                    (and no, i'm not talking about just welding up the 4x100 holes, and re-drilling to 5x120)
                    turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                    Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

Please share...

I've decided that welding and machining wouldn't be a good idea. I was failing to see how welds could penetrate deep enough to make up for the surface area that's there before machining.

What's your idea? let me know so I could sleep at night.

Comment

Well sir, back to the drawing boards. Thanks for the info, should've done more research before planning this far.
                        turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                        Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

so I got a set of 4 DSII wheels from e36 m3. All in 17x7.5. Hope car will look good on them when I mount them.

:???: Very high chance I'll be selling them, as I think they'll add to the chaos of my car's looks, and I'd like something simpler. But who knows, right?

come on, high offset heavy wheels? Something isn't making sense.

PS: DS2's are incredibly heavy, why did you settle on those wheels?

Comment

:) you're reading too far into it, I may just ride on e36 bottle caps, hehe, and turn profit of DSII by selling them to some purist lunatic.

Comment

This is a great thread. I have bookmarked so I can reread it and refer back to it when I need to remember all of the details. I am going to start collecting the parts for this swap and to do this swap too. I already have two 7.5 DSII. I haven't made up my mind if I want to run a staggered setup yet. I am sure I will have questions as I get further into this.
                              sigpic

Comment

thanks, man

Calvin also has been bringing up some questions over z3 trailing arms. As far as realOEM is concerned, all A-trailing arms are too wide, others MAY BE right size, BUT I haven't had them on my car or in my hands. From what I've witnessed so far trailing arms from Z3's with I-6 motors, have wide trailing arms. I'll snap a pic. I still stand by using hubs and replacing bearings in stock trailing arms, instead of plugging on questionable-fit trailing arms and not replacing bearings in junk-yard parts.

Thanks Calvin, for raising that question, maybe someone out there had some experience with this, and would chime in.

Comment

Working...
                                X