Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks man, had some people PM me with questions, and I had to point them to this thread.

I saw a post by someone who's done this swap that m3 spindles fix front caster problem. I installed m3 control arms in, and my caster issue only fixed very little. It still rubs on full lock turns, but caster isn't perfect. I will try to find m3 spindles and install them, I'll make sure to document that, so everyone can see it.

Comment

Originally posted by z31maniac View Post
      You should add that if you are planning on going 5 lug with coilovers, for just a few hundred more than the E30 GC kit, Ground Control builds a set of custom strut housings to get some more caster back. You still have to use 96+ M3 control arms and offset CABs, but the caster is where it should be vs close.

can you post a link to those strut housings? i cannot find them on the GC site

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer630 View Post
        can you post a link to those strut housings? i cannot find them on the GC site
        Heres a link to the e36 housings that use e30 inserts : http://www.ground-control-store.com/...ion.php/II=812

Although from what I've read before they do not really correct the caster isue like Z31Maniac suggests.
        I've always thought if they offset the mounts where the spindle bolts on it would be cool and could correct the caster.
        But I don't believe this is the case.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

thanks, teaguer, I was thinking the same thing, that's why I didn't want to comment on it.

Comment

One of the guys on Grassroots Motorsports is using them on his E30 racecar, he said they worked out great for him?

I've exchanged a ton of emails with him on E30 suspension stuff, including his super nice adjustable rear trailing arms and such. If I can remember his website/business I'll direct you that way.
            Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
            Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
            One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

put content into HTML format and threw it on my site

http://www.torque-bound.com/5-lug.html

thought it be easier to keep up with for me and keep it more organized.

Comment

Need to learn to read the whole damn thing!

I tried, and learned the hard way to listen to peolpe who know what the hell they are talking about... Now to buy some wheel bearings and other items needed.

Should look nice when done I hope.

sigpic
                e30 Sold long ago - Too many BMWs since then... For now 2006 M5

Comment

yup, I ran into exactly the same issue as you did, that's why this thread is here.

Comment

And I am just the type of dumbass that looks at the first page, then I think I skimmed the rest of the thing, and read the last page... I missed the top few posts on page two... So I ended up trying it myself. So now I get to add another $100-150 to what I am already planning on spending on the front? Well that sucks. I should have just gone the e30 M3 route. $1100 without wheels for 5 lug, just so I can run some wheels that I had on a e36 like 4 years ago. And I won't even have e36 M3 front spindles.

Tree House Racing Eye Ball Arms ~ $190
                    Ground Control Camber/Caster Plates ~ $300
                    e36 M3 front Bilsteins ~180 each ~ $360
                    Stainless Steel Braided Brake Line ~ $120
                    Rear Wheel Bearings ~ $90
                    Grand total: $1060 without misc. stuff I am sure to need.
                    sigpic

Comment

well, some of the things you can't count into the swap... You didn't have to get braided lines or GC plates. You also could have bought any other CABs. So your total is a little disingenuous, because you'd be most likely buying all those parts on top of e30 m3 suspension and spending that same grand on miscellaneous goodies.

Doing math your way, I'd be afraid to count all the things I've done along the way. I put urethane everything on. I've replaced every wear item I touched along the way. I had over a $1000 suspension before I started, so final total would be ridiculous by this standard.

Don't feel bad though, you'll learn from your failures and hopefully read through full threads. Thanks for the visual contribution, too, it really helps some people seeing it.

Comment

Aptyp, A+ work!

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                        HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                        **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

thanks, clavin, you've helped a lot here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Aptyp View Post
                            thanks, clavin, you've helped a lot here as well.
                            I appreciate you saying so. Without you though, MY thread would not have it's clarifications done to it. Good times.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Well thank you both for your help then.
                              sigpic

Comment

now if enough people rally behind this thread, I think it's about time it is stuck.

And renamed to "e36 5-lug Conversion"

Comment

Working...
                                X