Hydro Boost Brake/Power Steering Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hydro Boost Brake/Power Steering Setup?

• After doing some searching and talking with DriftHQ about a Chase bay brake setup. I am looking into doing some track time through BMWCCA and I also have a local drift oval down the street from my house. I would like to add power steering (with a cooler) and a hydro boost brake setup into my E30. Here is a currently list of how the car is setup. Do we still think the E23 booster is the best setup? I haver a Aerostar van Hydro Boost brake setup in my 72 Bronco and it has the best brakes of any car I own. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks guys,

--Colin

1989 BMW 325is Cirrus Blue
      Street legal track setup, Clean Title
      Manual sunroof, completely rust free shell
      200k+ on chassis

Drivetrain
      S52 engine w/ zf transmission, 120K (?)
      OBD 1 intake, S52 headers
      2.5" Flowmaster catless race exhaust
      EconoMotorsports oil cooler and gauge plate
      Oil Pressure and Oil Temperature gauges mounted on driver A pillar
      Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator w/Spal electric fan
      Conforti Tune
      JB Lightweight Aluminum flywheel
      Solid engine and transmission mounts
      3.25 MCoupe diff W/ finned cover

Suspension
      Ireland Engineering adjustable rear subframe w/ urethane bushings
      Bilstein Coil Overs
      Springs 350 # front 550 # rear
      Z3 1.9 quick ratio steering rack
      Treehouse front control arm lollypop bushings

Brakes
      Front: Massive Big Brake Kit, Wilwood Superlite calipers w/ Hawk DTC 60 pads
      Rear: Stock calipers w/Hawk HP race pads
      Massive booster delete
      e32 27mm master cylinder
      Stainless Steel lines front and rear

Interior
      Full interior sans rear seat, and carpet
      TC Kline bolt-in 1/2 cage
      Sparco Evo 2 Plus Seats
      Momo steering wheel
      Shroth 5 point harnesses (Expired)
      Factory heater core still installed

Previous 1 2 3 4
    • Black Red

Copyright 2004 - 2023 R3VHost LLC
    Powered by vBulletin® Version 5.7.4
    Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba vBulletin. All rights reserved.​

You already have the Massive booster delete, which is what I have. If it's setup correctly you shouldn't feel like you need hydroboost. I did find that was trying to move more fluid than my ABS could handle and after I removed that braking improved significantly.

I am working on a TRW hydro-electric power steering conversion, similar to what the Porsche guys do for track cars. Pump unit will sit in the trunk. Advantage is that no cooler required, my PS fluid temps were initially getting up to 300 degrees before I dropped the pressure and volume.

Comment

Thank you, could you tell me a little more about your build?

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
        I am working on a TRW hydro-electric power steering conversion, similar to what the Porsche guys do for track cars. Pump unit will sit in the trunk. Advantage is that no cooler required, my PS fluid temps were initially getting up to 300 degrees before I dropped the pressure and volume.
        Why not go with electric power steering? Like a prius unit?

Comment

Originally posted by jbontke View Post

Why not go with electric power steering? Like a prius unit?
          It would certainly turn the wheels, but there must be a reason all the Porsche Cup cars use the hydro-electric pump setup, and everyone hates the 991 electric vis-a-vis Prius steering.

TRW electric power steering pump as used in Porsche 997 Cup cars. A popular upgrade to replace the hydraulic pump on Porsche 964, 993, 996, 997, Boxster to ...

The Volvo TRW unit is basically the exact same thing but there's hacks to make it speed sensitive. Bruno has a version that's just a "dial-a-assist" knob and another that's
          speed sensitive.

ServTronic - electric power steering controller kits for many models. Saturn Vue, Opel Corsa B C D Agila, Renault Clio 2, Clio 3, Clio 4, Megane 3, Megane 4, Volvo steering pump, Toyota Yaris Prius, Subaru BRZ Toyota GT86 Scion FRS, Ford Fiesta, Suzuki Ignis Alto, Holden Barina, RPM adapter converter, Focus RS exhaust

cool stuff!

Comment

I am not sure why Porsche people don't like it. Maybe the 991 electric unit provides too much assist? Or its completely wireless?

I have a prius PS unit but I have not had the time to set it up in my e30 yet. With the unit powered off, it's as if nothing is there, you get a 1:1 feel. Applying power the unit provides steering assist. from what I read, the box provides a flat rate of assist. It's been a minute since I read up on this, but I believe someone had a unit that could adjust the amount of assist with a dial. I want to get rid the need for power steering fluid altogether.

Comment

There are already kits for the Prius rack in the e30. Looks like some basic fabricating to fit it. I'd love to get some feedback on how that actually works in real life; I have great confidence that it turns the wheels, but how would it feel? Does the rack input pinion need to be welded since the hydraulic functions are gone? Otherwise, it would be quiet and completely eliminate hydraulics. I'm haven't written this approach off yet.

I actually found an example that shows the Volvo pump. https://www.facebook.com/Sicknsidewa...7481790373092/ Advantage is that it would have 100% stock feel and you could even adjust the feel to be speed sensitive or not. Disadvantage is that lines need to be run and it takes up some trunk space (but I would recess mine into the trunk floor).

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                Does the rack input pinion need to be welded since the hydraulic functions are gone? Otherwise, it would be quiet and completely eliminate hydraulics. I'm haven't written this approach off yet.
                The Z4 rack is a manual rack (direct fit), I planned on using this if I ever get around to it.

Comment

Working...
                X