Caliper Hose Thread Repair

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • 88Sedan
    Wrencher
    • Apr 2023
    • 266

    #1

    Caliper Hose Thread Repair

    I have a set of calipers that are in perfect condition with one exception, when the hoses are installed they thread in loosely and will not tighten enough to create a seal. The threads are there but not up to the task of holding the hose tight, when approaching they start turning instead of tightening.

    I am sure I accidentally diminished the thread teeth while cleaning rust with vinegar. The vinegar didn't cause harm anywhere else (bore and bleeder threads are perfect) but I guess the hose threads got a bit eaten. Lesson learned the hard way, I will sandblast after masking from now on.

    Since the threads are there I am not sure which method of thread repair to try. I want to make clear that while the threads look intact by eye, the brake hose fitting wiggles around until the end when it holds a little pressure before beginning loosening.

    Does this sound like I could have luck with a thread repair bit? I have never used one and I understand they are different from taps, which I have used plenty of. My brain can't see how loose/diminished threads could be made whole again with this method.

    I have had some luck with helicoils before but never used one on a hose thread. I have not used timeserts and in this application I am unsure they would work. Timeserts might prevent the brake hose from going deep enough in caliper to mate with the caliper flare area.

    I did a full cleaning, epoxy paint job and rebuild on these before realizing the hose threads were no good. If I can I want to salvage them instead of getting new ones.

    What do you think?
  • Vincenze
    E30 Enthusiast
    • Apr 2019
    • 1035

    #2
    There are brake caliper BLEEDER thread repair kits, but I don't see hose thread repair kits.

    Comment

    • 82eye
      R3VLimited
      • Jan 2009
      • 2094

      #3
      try teflon thread tape on the hose end.

      Comment

      • Panici
        Moderator
        • Dec 2009
        • 2535

        #4
        Originally posted by 82eye
        try teflon thread tape on the hose end.
        Google says brake fluid dissolves teflon tape.

        And even if it didn't I wouldn't risk my safety and the safety of others on the road with some tape.

        Comment

        • 82eye
          R3VLimited
          • Jan 2009
          • 2094

          #5
          Originally posted by Panici
          Google says brake fluid dissolves teflon tape.

          And even if it didn't I wouldn't risk my safety and the safety of others on the road with some tape.
          not sure there is a sealant without ptfe. only other solution is new calipers or hoses. i can't see vinegar taking enough off the caliper thread that the hose won't tighten.

          Comment

          • 88Sedan
            Wrencher
            • Apr 2023
            • 266

            #6
            The threads don't see fluid, unless a bled system is being taken apart. The seat at the bottom seals the fluid. However I am in the camp to not take risks with brakes.

            The vinegar absolutely did this to the threads. I was using 47% and won't ever de rust calipers this way again. It eats metal which I knew but didn't realize how quick.

            I ordered replacement calipers.
            If I feel like it I could attempt a timesert or helicoil at a later date.

            Comment

            Working...