Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bryson
    Originally posted by cthulu703
    With a little Si grease I was able to put the bushings in by hand. I did have to seat them against the frame with a bottle jack and a bearing cup however since the force required to get the steel insert seated into the frame of the car is more than it takes to push the bushings out a little.
    it should not have taken any pressure to get them to seat, there is about 1/16" gap between the top of the bushing and the part of the fram it fits into. You likely just didn't clean out all the corrosion from two dissimilar metals bonding, it's very dense.

some subframe bushings won't detach from the body (ie: mine) and it's necessary to break the inner metal rod in half, dropping the subframe with the bushing in it and a small part still in the frame. If this happens to you, good fucking luck :D
    Either that or the tolerances on the IE bushing are not as good as stock.

Comment

mine slid right in, no problems. even easier than the trailing arm bushings.
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Do you get much more noise/vibration in to the cabin with poly sub frame bushs ?

Comment

not that I've ever noticed. probably depends on how much sound deadening your car has, and I'm sure my car has lots because it's pretty quiet inside.
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by E30/M30
            Do you get much more noise/vibration in to the cabin with poly sub frame bushs ?
            I noticed a bit more, but nothing excessive.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back guys 8)

Comment

Did you go with adjustable rear trail arm bushings or just ploy? Just did my rear subframe and trailing arm bushings 4 mounths ago.

Comment

Question...according to www.suspension.com. (restoration suspension parts), skilled E30 mechanics are able to change subframe bushings without removing the subframe. Has anyone done this? I have just started to do mine and I was wondering. I am going with their poly mounts.

Also, does the "pin" move independently from the frame? its shown as a separate piece in the diagram.

Comment

02 KNURLED BOLT 2 51718181460 $4.63 Buy

Comment

which "pin"? the subframe bolts? (#2) no, those don't move.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

#2 is accessed from under the back seat. May take an air hammer to pop it up. The bushings can be removed w/ the subframe in place but it requires a tool or a torch. Being that you can make a tool for a few bucks,

I would go that way. I bought one from

and it works great, but it cost me $160. The torch method, with the subframe in place, is scary. Either way, you pull that #2 bolt, drop the subframe a bit (making sure not to stress the brake hoses), then use the tool to extract the bushing.

Comment

Dropping the subframe is a good way to change to SS brake lines and change your trailing arm bushings easily, so it can be worth dropping the whole thing. It wasn't hard on my car, especially with the diff removed.

RISING EDGE

Let's drive fast and have fun.

Comment

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a lot. I just replaced the diff, a trailing arm and did the TA poly bushings a while back, so I would rather not drop everything if I dont have to, I mean, it was fun and all but it would be nice not to have to dissasemble the entire rear end ....again.

Comment

Any chance on getting that link to work on that video?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                                Rear sumbframe bushings book time is 4.7hrs.
                                What!! BMW only charged me one hours labour about a month ago!

This is what i used to change my bushes to the eccentric ones for better less camber.

Andrew

Andrew AT E30zone.co.uk | H23-is | S14

Comment

Working...
                                X