How good are the E30 brakes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How good are the E30 brakes?

Was talking to a buddy in Seattle who races an E30, and mentioned that my convertible has now become my daily driver, and I'd be happy with it as such except the brakes suck. He said the E30 brakes are fantastic, and he often gets into modern rental cars and misses the performance of the E30 brakes. He suggested I check my brake booster. I did, and it seems to be working (pedal drops when you start the car).

I changed pads and rotors all around, new fluid (twice) and have done a full pressure bleed. The same buddy suggested a vacuum bleed saying he's seen a pressure bleed not work well on the E30, which makes no sense to me since I've done pressure bleeds on every german car I've owned.

I swapped cars with another forum member and he said my brakes are fine, they are better than his. I'm pretty sure they can be better, because they don't seem capable of performing in the kind of traffic we have around here.

Thoughts?
    1988 325iC SOLD
    1985 524td 49k

What type of pads are you using? What type of fluid? Have you replaced the rubber lines for uprated ones that may not 'give' as much?

Comment

ceramic pads up front, semi metallic in the rear. Brake lines are new. Brake fluid is new ATE DOT4. The brakes stop when you stomp down on the pedal and I can easily get ABS to kick in. It's the time from when I press on the pedal to when something happens that is too long (again, brakes were bled correctly so that's not it).
      1988 325iC SOLD
      1985 524td 49k

Comment

Ceramic pads have bad inital bite and bad cold bite, which could be part of the problem. I don't know which compound you used in the rear, but they could suffer from a similar problem. Under regular driving conditions, the OEM compound is the best to use.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Check the clevis that connects the brake pedal arm to the brake booster. Maybe you have excess slop there.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
            Ceramic pads have bad inital bite and bad cold bite, which could be part of the problem. I don't know which compound you used in the rear, but they could suffer from a similar problem. Under regular driving conditions, the OEM compound is the best to use.
            +1. OE pads are excellent street pads. The only downside is that they are dusty. I think the main reason people think BMWs generally have 'good brakes' is the OE friction material. Most street pads that claim to be a performance upgrade are actually worse.

Comment

I just switched from OE pads to HAWK HP +. Beefy pads, noisy as hell but holy shit you won't believe how they stop your car fast !!

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=319393

Comment

There is other brand that sells high performance pads, and this is probably the only way to go if you really want the best from your stock e30 brakes.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=319393

Comment

Originally posted by danix View Post
                  ceramic pads up front, semi metallic in the rear
                  There is your problem. Go back to OE pads (dusty but good performance) or a Street Performance pad like Hawk HPS pads. Or if you want really good brakes, a set of PFC-08 pads (dusty, noisy, and only moderate cold bite).
                  The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
                  Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

Comment

Thanks for the feedback guys - I will try different pads and report back.
                    1988 325iC SOLD
                    1985 524td 49k

Comment

Originally posted by alexlandro View Post
                      I just switched from OE pads to HAWK HP +. Beefy pads, noisy as hell but holy shit you won't believe how they stop your car fast !!
                      I've got the same pads, no noise here, tho.

Comment

Originally posted by jlevie View Post
                        There is your problem. Go back to OE pads (dusty but good performance) or a Street Performance pad like Hawk HPS pads. Or if you want really good brakes, a set of PFC-08 pads (dusty, noisy, and only moderate cold bite).
                        i went back to OEM jurid and textars from HPS and it is so much better with OEM. HPS are simply junk but they dont dust as much lol.
                        89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                          HPS are simply junk but they dont dust as much lol.
                          I have HPS on my car now, and they feel sad. Would not buy again.
                          Originally posted by priapism
                          My girl don't know shit, but she bakes a mean cupcake.
                          Originally posted by shameson
                          Usually it's best not to know how much money you have into your e30

Comment

Originally posted by Northern View Post
                            I have HPS on my car now, and they feel sad. Would not buy again.
                            i took them off with more than half remaining.....
                            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

Originally posted by digger View Post
                              i went back to OEM jurid and textars from HPS and it is so much better with OEM. HPS are simply junk but they dont dust as much lol.
                              That was my experience with HPS pads also. Fade resistance is worse too.

Comment

Working...
                              X