so I just put in a bid on a LHD one, just because the RHD versions are so much more expensive, shipping is an extra $100, and none of them have connectors included.
What did you end up doing with the brake fittings? bend the lines to the other side with adapters, drill and tap/plug the original openings, etc?
New booster option for e30 - Bosch iBooster
Collapse
X
-
-
Nice, did you score one of the ones on Ebay? I have the funds in my PP to pick one up, but I've been trying to wait for the "right" one, and I need to do some work to the X5 before anything happens on the E30 anyway. Swapping out the booster would be a pretty nice winter project though!Leave a comment:
-
RHD Tesla model S booster is on its way to me, and I have the full sikky kit... all I'd need is an engine. Too bad I'm selling it. :]
But then again I'd prefer an N52.Leave a comment:
-
Yeah that is not viable. So who is going to be the first to try to fit the i booster with the sikky kit? Asking for a friendLeave a comment:
-
yeah, I was looking on ebay and found some other parts of that. definitely not the same thing. there's another system used on some Hondas that's sort of like the Toyota one.Leave a comment:
-
That Toyota part is a component in a much more complicated system.
Leave a comment:
-
I'm not not sure it's remotely equivalent to the bosch booster- it has a tiny little electric motor on it and no visible gearbox.
if you want to mess around with adapter plates, the Gen1 iBooster for the 2017-2020 CR-V are about $200. It's basically identical to the Tesla booster - except maybe programming, but we're using it in fail safe mode anyway.Leave a comment:
-
That firewall plate looks like it unbolts from the master. Shouldn't be hard to adapt if that's the case. Now you've got me wanting to order and try it since its dirt cheap!Leave a comment:
-
Yeah you would probably have to make a custom adapter plate but that booster looks enticing. I haven't seen anyone running them though
Leave a comment:
-
It looks like the firewall pattern is wrong (too narrow, or too tall - the E30's is square). Mostly, that electric motor looks tiny, it's hard to tell if it would be as effective. It's cheap though!Leave a comment:
-
Just stumbled upon this. Anyone know anything about them or if there is a chance it could work??
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-TOYOTA...-/132901106294Leave a comment:
-
Well, the flange *does* unbolt, it's just a much larger stamped piece, and there are more bolts. But I'll bet the Honda Accord and Model 3 bolt patterns are the same, potentially a cheaper option for other E30 swaps.
Funny enough, there are about as many Model 3s sold a year now as Accords. So really, choices should be plentiful. Who knew the EV revolution would benefit our old car hobby..Leave a comment:
-
This made me realize I didn't mention it earlier: the Gen 1 firewall housing bolts on with two bolts from the firewall side. You can see the bulges where they thread in.
It looks like the Honda just has a steel flange instead of aluminum.
The Gen2 doesn’t seem to have swappable flangesLeave a comment:
-
Nice! I wouldn't expect much delay as it's a modern electromechanical system. I think especially on an E30 with relatively small F/R caliper pistons, it won't feel that overboosted, but time will tell! I'll def be checking in on this thread, this is a pretty exciting development.I just got to try it. Compared to my current brakes, it feels much smoother. No delay.
it feels like when you're riding a nice e-bike, it doesn't feel like the motor is helping but you just have a lot of wind at your back.
The true test will be if it feels uncommunicative or overboosted on the roadLeave a comment:


Leave a comment: