Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RHD MC if someone needs one.

Comment

Yeah, I saw that one yesterday, but it seems pretty crusty. Wish we could read the part numbers on it - I doubt it's very expensive new.

Really thinking about one of those CRV boosters though. Could always swap out to the Tesla RHD MC later on. What I like is I could get this put in long before doing a swap... keeping my E30 operable is one of the reasons I've been able to hang onto it through marriage and two kids. :p
      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Is there any technical documentation on the MC sizes?

Comment

It looks like the castings are identical, but the flanges are different (the CR-V's is thinner). However, it does unbolt from the main booster housing:
          Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

You know honestly, the flange isn't that much different on the Model-3 booster. It seems like it would be relatively trivial to move the bolt centerlines less than 3mm over:

I think the pictures are deceiving too. It looks like the connector sticks out to the side, but I think it goes pretty much straight down. Should easily fit within the huge envelope of the original E30 booster, no?
            Click image for larger version  Name:	s-l1600.jpg Views:	0 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	9953827
            Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Originally posted by kristov View Post
              Is there any technical documentation on the MC sizes?
              If you dig through enough pictures, you'll see stampings of "25" on them.
              Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I want to say I found a RHD photo showing the part number and it was the same as the LHD... it might just be a casting number and it gets a part number when it gets cut one side or the other and assembled with a booster.

...a Tesla part number doesn’t do us much good because we can’t order from Tesla.

I think the model 3 (ibooster gen 2) would absolutely fit anywhere a normal booster would fit. The challenge I have with the n52 intake is extreme, and I don’t think it would fit with that constraint.

Comment

I'm pretty sure in reality it's no wider than the gen-1 booster. It's possibly shorter?

I have a line on a Honda booster for a song. I'm having a hard time not buying it on a whim.. there's a Model 3 MC for pretty cheap too. for a RHD booster, you're looking at least $500, plus the connectors. I feel like moving some bolts around at less than half that cost could be worth it?

Looking at it again, the ix is kind of oddball, everything is in a different position relative to the RWD E30. I think for sure, the Gen 1 will fit easily. I'm not certain about Gen 2. I think it's a "maybe".
                  Last edited by nando; 10-02-2020, 03:37 PM.
                  Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Whoa, this is pretty cool! That test video of the guy in the Delorean was pretty convincing too!

Originally posted by whysimon
                    WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Holy cow! FredK in da house!

To give some color to my discussion with hubcapboy - the N52 three stage manifold takes up a shit ton of room. Basically, if the Model S booster clears that by a finger width, it's going to clear pretty much everything else by a mile. IMO, it makes swaps of all kinds a much simpler and cheaper proposition.

I'm still not sure about the model 3 / honda booster. It probably clears a lot of typical swaps (certainly M5X). It could clear the S54. Clearing the N52 is a bigger hurdle.
                      Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

I just got to try it. Compared to my current brakes, it feels much smoother. No delay.
                        it feels like when you're riding a nice e-bike, it doesn't feel like the motor is helping but you just have a lot of wind at your back.
                        The true test will be if it feels uncommunicative or overboosted on the road

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                          Holy cow! FredK in da house!

To give some color to my discussion with hubcapboy - the N52 three stage manifold takes up a shit ton of room. Basically, if the Model S booster clears that by a finger width, it's going to clear pretty much everything else by a mile. IMO, it makes swaps of all kinds a much simpler and cheaper proposition.

I'm still not sure about the model 3 / honda booster. It probably clears a lot of typical swaps (certainly M5X). It could clear the S54. Clearing the N52 is a bigger hurdle.
                          Yeah, the N52 manifold is huge! I actually went back to boosted brakes, I'm using a Smart ForTwo brake booster, and it rubs on just one protrusion of the S54 intake plenum and can easily be clearanced. Given the size of the N52 plenum, I do not think the ForTwo booster will work, but is an inexpensive alternative for folks looking to retain boosted brakes with an S54.

Comment

Originally posted by hoveringuy View Post
                            I just got to try it. Compared to my current brakes, it feels much smoother. No delay.
                            it feels like when you're riding a nice e-bike, it doesn't feel like the motor is helping but you just have a lot of wind at your back.
                            The true test will be if it feels uncommunicative or overboosted on the road
                            Nice! I wouldn't expect much delay as it's a modern electromechanical system. I think especially on an E30 with relatively small F/R caliper pistons, it won't feel that overboosted, but time will tell! I'll def be checking in on this thread, this is a pretty exciting development.

Comment

Originally posted by nando View Post
                              It looks like the castings are identical, but the flanges are different (the CR-V's is thinner). However, it does unbolt from the main booster housing:
                              This made me realize I didn't mention it earlier: the Gen 1 firewall housing bolts on with two bolts from the firewall side. You can see the bulges where they thread in.

It looks like the Honda just has a steel flange instead of aluminum.

The Gen2 doesn’t seem to have swappable flanges

Comment

Well, the flange *does* unbolt, it's just a much larger stamped piece, and there are more bolts. But I'll bet the Honda Accord and Model 3 bolt patterns are the same, potentially a cheaper option for other E30 swaps.

Funny enough, there are about as many Model 3s sold a year now as Accords. So really, choices should be plentiful. Who knew the EV revolution would benefit our old car hobby..
                                Build thread

Bimmerlabs

Comment

Working...
                                X