FCAB Rubber Bushing Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FCAB Rubber Bushing Install

I have always tried to install the Front Control Arm Bushings (lollipops) while the Front Control Arms are still on the car. I know you can pop the ball joints loose, which makes the bushings easier to install, but that seems like a lot of work.

The hard part of this method is that the rubber bushings don't really want to on the ends of the arms very easily, even if they are lubed up good.

I have, however, discovered a secret. I'm sure that someone else knows this secret, but I've never seen it. The secret is: don't try to push the bushings on straight. It will take you forever and you will swear a lot. Instead, twist the bushings on, as if they were threaded. They will go right on with only a little pushing.

Does everyone else already know this, and I'm just behind?

That's how I get them started, but I used to use a V shaped piece of all thread and a piece of bar as an on car too. With twisting I suspect you'd really need to be careful about lubricating the CA stub forward of the bushing lest it get stuck out of position, and it would be even better if you jam the CA down so you have more room to work.

What lubricant did you use?

Comment

I was a bad person and used wheel bearing grease. Not sure about all the warnings about using it because they still get really stuck on the arms.

Comment

If it sticks, we must acquit, I suppose.

Comment

If you use the right tool, the lollipop can be removed with the CA still on the car. If you have stock centered bushings, you should be ok for the most part. If using the offset m3 ones, will shift it.
          Alex 88 m5 | 91 318is | 19 Subaru Ascent
          BMW Tool Rentals & Fender Roller

Comment

It was not cheap, but I bought the Bav Auto CAB tool when it was on sale. After two bushing replacements I LOVE IT! Makes the job quick and easy on the car.

Cory
            1992 325i Cabrio
            1988 320i Touring
            2000 M5
            1977 530i
            2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
            BMWCCA
            E30CCA

Comment

I have always just muscled them on, or hit them with a dead blow. Removal sometimes requires a 2 arm puller, or if they are broken, pull the lollipop off and slice the steel insert.

As far as pressing the actual bushing in/out of the lollipop, an old bushing with a slice in it works great for pressing them in/out. Since there's a slice in the metal ring, they slide right through to press out the old, and stay neatly in the lollipop, then fall out when pressing the in new.
              john@m20guru.com
              Links:
              Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

When you press the bushing into the lollipop, do you use a press?

Comment

Press, or a bench vise, both work well, although my preference is the vise as it seems easier to get it started square. I've always used centered bushings, so getting offsets to stay clocked seems like it could be a bit tricky as even the non solid centered bushes seem to move a bit from their ideal orientation.

Comment

Originally posted by twright View Post
                    When you press the bushing into the lollipop, do you use a press?
                    I do just because there's one set up at work. :p
                    john@m20guru.com
                    Links:
                    Transaction feedback: Here, here and here. Thanks :D

Comment

When you are pressing bushings into/out of lollipops on a press, what do you set the lollipop on top of to keep it in place without interfering with the opening for the bushing?

Thanks, Cory
                      1992 325i Cabrio
                      1988 320i Touring
                      2000 M5
                      1977 530i
                      2015 328i - Euro Delivery/Performance Center Delivery
                      BMWCCA
                      E30CCA

Comment

Originally posted by cory58 View Post
                        When you are pressing bushings into/out of lollipops on a press, what do you set the lollipop on top of to keep it in place without interfering with the opening for the bushing?

Thanks, Cory
                        Arbor plates in both cases, or a set of ball joint press cups if you have them.

Comment

Working...
                        X