H&R finally makes the right springs for your 318iS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H&R finally makes the right springs for your 318iS

If you've ever owned a '91 318i/iS, you have likely realized that H&R never made the correct spring for the application. In fact, H&R has had holes all over their E30 spring lineup, leaving many folks frustrated, unable to buy the exact spring for their application.

I was talking to a guy about springs for his 318, and he said nah I got the exact right springs for my '91 318, and looked it up and apparently H&R added a few of springs to fill the voids in their catalog, unbeknownst to me.

The last number in the main p/n, aka "5040x" designates 4 vs 6cyl now, for the most part. I assume it always did, but we didn't have the pleasure of following the rule, as the correct springs often didn't exist.

So now they offer:

50404 - true sport for 90-91 318iS
    50406 - true sport for 6cyl e30s
    50404-55 - OE sports for 6cyl e30s (but for some reason still have 4cyl designation in the p/n)
    50404-77 - super sports for 90-91 318iS
    50406-77 - super sports for 6cyl e30s
    50404-88 - race springs which they claim are for "all e30s" (but for some reason still have 4cyl designation in the p/n)

So the gap has been filled! IDK why I am so jazzed by this, but I sure am. For the longest time, folks have been buying any number of springs for their 90-91 m42 cars, without there ever being the perfect option. H&R used to claim the 6cyl OE sports were the correct sport springs for the 90-91 318 but after fitting them onto my 318 I realized it's good, but not a perfect match.

1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
    1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Then there's the convertible specific springs as well. Originally, H&R Race springs were an E30 M3 application only which explains the 4 cylinder designation. The quoted drop of 1.6F and 1.5R refers to the M3 being lowered that much. The M3 already being about an inch lower means installing H&R Race on a 325i lowers it approx 2.6" F (probably more since 6 cylinder) and 2.5"R. The drop is even more dramatic on the heavier 325i convertible.
    "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
    88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
    89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
    91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
      Then there's the convertible specific springs as well. Originally, H&R Race springs were an E30 M3 application only which explains the 4 cylinder designation. The quoted drop of 1.6F and 1.5R refers to the M3 being lowered that much. The M3 already being about an inch lower means installing H&R Race on a 325i lowers it approx 2.6" F (probably more since 6 cylinder) and 2.5"R. The drop is even more dramatic on the heavier 325i convertible.
      Good call, regarding the origin of the race spring being m3 specific. That makes sense there. And I assume the 50404-55 is designated as such because they claimed initially that if used on a 318iS, it was the "sport spring" even though the application wasn't totally correct.

And yes, I left out iX and vert springs, as those have always been correct as far as I can remember.
      1990 Brilliantrot 325iS Build Thread
      1989 Zinnoberrot M3 Build Thread

Comment

Wait, I thought they didn't produce springs for a 318 convertible? Got a number for those?

Originally posted by AWDBOB View Post

Good call, regarding the origin of the race spring being m3 specific. That makes sense there. And I assume the 50404-55 is designated as such because they claimed initially that if used on a 318iS, it was the "sport spring" even though the application wasn't totally correct.

And yes, I left out iX and vert springs, as those have always been correct as far as I can remember.

Comment

You may want to call H&R directly to see if they recommend their 325i convertible spring for the M42 318iC...which would be my guess.
          "I'd probably take the E30 M3 in this case just because I love that little car, and how tanky that inline 6 is." - thecj

85 323i M TECH 1 S52 - ALPINEWEISS/SCHWARZE
          88 M3 - LACHSSILBER/SCHWARZE
          89 M3 - ALPINEWEISS II/M TECH CLOTH-ALCANTARA
          91 M TECHNIC CABRIO TURBO - MACAOBLAU/M TECH CLOTH-LEATHER

Comment

do they have the spring rates and "drop" for each option?
            89 E30 325is Lachs Silber - currently M20B31, M20B33 in the works, stroked to the hilt...

new build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=317505

Comment

I did, and they do not recommend them. They said they're only recommended for the 325iC. I'm assuming because of the engine weight difference.

Originally posted by reelizmpro View Post
              You may want to call H&R directly to see if they recommend their 325i convertible spring for the M42 318iC...which would be my guess.

Comment

Working...
              X