Dumb Questions on Koni Strut Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dumb Questions on Koni Strut Install

I have some dumb questions on strut inserts that I've replaced many times on other cars.

This is my son's car that we built together. '86 ES coupe. He's now in a faraway state so I can't look at it or measure. We put a manual in it a couple of years ago right before he left.
    He got the Koni Sport adjustable shocks for lowering springs (we have H&R Sport with stock hats). 8641 1021 sport. Tire Rack.

He was going to replace them this weekend in his gravel driveway, but he needs a plywood sheet for jack stands, there are some missing bits, and he needs to confirm housing diameter is 51mm, and whether the existing collar nut goes over the Koni shaft.

On the parts diagram, he's totally missing the foam bump stop (shorter sport one) and the dust sleeve "protection tube", as well as any kind of rubber bellows. Long gone. So I don't find any part # reference for rubber bellows. Is there a newer piece that fits there? Does it attach to the white threaded ring (14) at the top of the bump stop? Seals to the protection tube?? How about at the top...it has to keep spray and grit out of the shaft wiper.
    He'll order new rubber spring pads while he's at it.

Bits & bobs in the box.... of course they don't send you a new collar nut.

What is this black piece on top of the shaft? Just a protection thing for shipping? I don't see how the collar nut goes over that. How do you get to the threads for the nut? But it kind of looks like those slots fit the adjuster knob....? Maybe the adjuster knob or red knob unscrews it?

Then there's the humorous Dutch instruction diagrams. Pour some snowflake tonic into your housing.....
    I found a thread over 10 years ago with the exact instructions and questions...

In this diagram, are these generic instructions for different shaped inserts so they can fit many different cars? They only ones I've seen have a smooth flat bottom.

Does the cartridge need to bottom in the housing, then the threaded collar locks it down and gives some depth adjustment? I don't see torquing that collar - just good n tight with a pipe wrench and some anti-seize.

Step 2 - THROW it in the bin! But check (before you throw it in the bin) that the lengths/heights are the same or within adjustment.

Step 3 - cut your cartridge...OOP, too short!

Step 4 - Order yourself some snowflake tonic and pour it in. Apparently some countries put antifreeze in there, weird. Gas-filled struts get NO oil.
    Lower diagram III is saying don't crush the lip of the strut tube? Threads inside the outer housing is how I thought they all worked.

Step 5 - Replace your bump stop.

Step 6 - Don’t use an Ugga Dugga gun. Torque it somehow. I think you could do final torque on the car. He bought locking nuts, but it came with nut / lock washer / washer.

Step 7 - Get it aligned.​ Your camber is all messed up now. LOOK in your BOOK!

These are all basic questions - thanks for your patience and experience.

Your number is for the rear Koni shocks, but you ask questions about the front ones.

Protection tubes and pads are available. 11761716390, 11761716390 or 11761716390(shorter).
    The collar nut is also available 11761716390.

Normally, you can unscrew the collar nut using the spanner tool available here https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/129/3105/5480A14

Follow the thread that you posted.
    First you add some oil, then insert a shock, then add the metal circle spacer, then screw the collar nut back.

Comment

Thanks, good resources. I found the BMW part #'s. He's looking at an FCP order with mostly OE pieces. We haven't figured out the rubber bellows yet.

8641-1021Sport fronts
      80-2522Sport rears

Click image for larger version

Name:	Koni Sport E30 TR.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	10098417

11761716390 shows an exhaust support bracket. All three same number..? Here's what he's looking at -

Click image for larger version

Name:	FCP E30 bits.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	125.2 KB
ID:	10098418

Comment

When I put konis in my e30 i just reused the bits off the old shock.

Comment

That's what would do.

Here's the collar nut - don't know if original, or if it fits the new shaft. Easy to grab with a pipe wrench at least.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230707_014146835.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.8 KB ID:	10098443

All rubber and boots are gone.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20230707_014127574.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.0 KB ID:	10098444

Does anyone know if the accordion boot (if you can find one) is locked into the "protection tube" (12) plastic cylinder around the bump stop? Or does it attach to plastic ring 14 which is going to sit on top of the bump stop?
          And then is it just compression at the top of the fender holding it tight?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by LateFan; 07-07-2023, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Pics are gone in first post??

Comment

i thought konis had an internal bump stop like billies.

Comment

There is no place for a front accordion boot, especially if your springs are short.

You may need to replace the rear shock mount 33521128819. Some people say the Meyle HD is the way to go.
                Konis don't need any protection in the rear or a bump stop.

Some people say it's a good idea to install a reinforcement kit: https://www.garagistic.com/products/...nforcement-kit

Comment

Thank you! I wondered how that would all fit!
                  I’ll check with him on the rear mounts, he may have changed those. We have the reinforcing plates on it.

Comment

Fwiw I was told in a face to face w Bilstein that the dust boots are nice to have but not essential. Notwithstanding, I've bought generics at oreilly w good success.
                    Seat Shocks....I have passed the baton to John Christy from Ninestitch. Email John or Garrett at ninestitch1@gmail.com

https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...86#post4944786
                    Alice the Time Capsule
                    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=360504
                    87 Zinno Cabrio barn find 98k and still smells like a barn. Build thread http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...20#post3455220

Comment

He's ordered all the bits, waiting for parts and a weekend to do it. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by LateFan View Post
                        That's what would do.

Here's the collar nut - don't know if original, or if it fits the new shaft. Easy to grab with a pipe wrench at least.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20230707_014146835.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.8 KB ID:	10098443

All rubber and boots are gone.
                        Click image for larger version Name:	PXL_20230707_014127574.jpg Views:	0 Size:	226.0 KB ID:	10098444

Does anyone know if the accordion boot (if you can find one) is locked into the "protection tube" (12) plastic cylinder around the bump stop? Or does it attach to plastic ring 14 which is going to sit on top of the bump stop?
                        And then is it just compression at the top of the fender holding it tight?
                        I'll answer multiple questions from this thread at once.

11 and 12 work together on regular style struts with thinner shafts, 13 and 14 go together for inverted struts like Bilstein B6 and B8. I don't believe BMW sells the M-tech Bilstein struts anymore, which is why you can't find 13/14 anywhere. Bilstein B6 and B8 will come with their version of 13/14 in the box.

The Koni should take 11/12 for boots if you wanted to run them; the foam bumpstop fits inside the plastic protection tube and clips together. Your car currently has Bilstein style struts installed, so the gland nut at the top of the housing will not work with the Koni struts. The OEM nut (31321117376​) works with the Koni struts.
                        Byron
                        Leichtbau

Comment

OK, I'll pass this along, thanks!

What about the existing doesn't fit? It fits the thread and diameter of the outer housing. Is it the shaft opening diameter?

Comment

Bilstein struts come with their own gland nut design since the stock nut won't fit over their inverted strut design. The way the nut holds the strut into the housing is different than OEM, and will not hold a stock style strut in place.
                            Byron
                            Leichtbau

Comment

Good, thanks for that. He ordered the OE pair from Bimmerworld last night.

Comment

Working...
                              X